Stairs and the "levels check" switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charger1204

Okay, this is a bit strange...when my vista 26p is running and the steps are in, because its running, a push of the levels check switch causes the steps to extend!, haven't a clue about this one folks. Any ideas for this one???

I'm guessing a faulty controller. I just got mine replaced because my steps were always 'On'. Every time I opened/shut the door the steps would extend/retract. Could not keep them extended with engine not running.
Could be the controller. Let us know what you find.

That's strange behavior indeed. My usual guess when electronics/electrics exhibit bizarre behavior is a faulty ground somewhere. Look at your wiring diagram and try to determine what relationship the tank level monitor could have with the steps. If the level monitor is on a panel with other switches and readouts remove the panel screws and look behind the panel. Check that every push on wire terminal/lug is in its place.

I'm guessing a faulty controller. I just got mine replaced because my steps were always 'On'. Every time I opened/shut the door the steps would extend/retract. Could not keep them extended with engine not running.
Could be the controller. Let us know what you find.
Yes, the step controller is always "hot", the controller powers the motor by switching the ground, open/closed.
That is why it is important the ground connections (2) are always clean and tight.
That is normal operation. You have a switch that controls that feature. One side causes the steps act as you describe, the other side keeps the steps out when the door opens, unless the ignition key is turned away from off.
Reference: Kwikee Products Service Training Manual

I suspect as H=John has said, the grounds are suspect. Winnebago does not use 12v ground bars, and then one large wire to the ground, but many times takes bundles of the yellow wires that are grounds, to the chassis to ground them. They may do this in more than one place.

On my View, on the Mercedes/Dodge chassis, they did this in two places, one up near the steps and one back near the generator, and did what Mercedes does not allow, and that is to punch a hole in the chassis Possibly using an air hammer and tapered punch, Mine did not look like they were drilled but they could have been. and then used a very fine machine thread screw that cuts its own threads, and used it to secure all of these individual ground wires. Since Benz does a good job of painting the chassis they took a sanding disk to make a bare spot for a good connection, but failed to treat or protect it in any way.

You can only see two smaller grounds, but there are several behind that out of view. Note the rust around the ground where they sanded the paint off. I had to sand it clean and mask a dime sized area and prime and paint the remainder. Then I coated the area in Amsoil Metal Protectant and all of the terminals and the bolt and tightened it. After I was done, I sprayed the entire area with the metal protectant.

I'm showing this to emphasize that even Winnebago screws up and this is a good example. If yours is done similar, the grounds may be rusted and corroded and in need of cleaning and treating to prevent further rust or corrosion.

Charles

1674945946505.jpeg

Charger, that Kwikee manual hot link fully explains exactly how and why that switch works.
When discussing a switch it is usual to describe it's function by "open" which breaks the circuit or "closed" which completes the circuit; this avoids confusion and misinterpretation.
When that switch is open the steps should remain extended when the ignition is off and screen door opened. Close the switch, ignition off, close door, steps should retract.

Charger, that Kwikee manual hot link fully explains exactly how and why that switch works.
When discussing a switch it is usual to describe it's function by "open" which breaks the circuit or "closed" which completes the circuit; this avoids confusion and misinterpretation.
When that switch is open the steps should remain extended when the ignition is off and screen door opened. Close the switch, ignition off, close door, steps should retract.
Be aware that at some point Kwikee changed from push button door switches to magenetice door switches. The polarity of the switch changed at that point. The push button switches opened the circuit when the door was closed, the magnetic switches close the circuit when the door is closed.
If you swap to a newer stair there is a possibility that it'll operate backwards. That happened to me when I replaced a bent up old stair with one from Colaw Salvage. They sent me a new switch upon request.

Thanks again for all replies...I haven't had a chance to check in on this problem yet...WORK!!!, I'm leaning towards the ground situation, which was my initial thought. I knew that I could get great ideas from this forum , as I always have! I soon as I track it down, I'll post. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom