Starcraft Travelstar caulk/seal suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisashirk

My hubbie was doing the look over after winter and found a small hole in the membrane of the roof. What do you suggest we repair with?
Also, what type of caulking do you recommend on camper both roof and main body, or can one for used for both? Thank you.

What is your roof made of? Mine is EPDM and I am using Flex sealant for now and then later it will be an elastomeric that works with EPDM.

For caulking I am using silicone only. Since I am painting mine at some point it has tobe one that can be painted. Some cannot. If you are not painting it at any time you can get clear. Silicone will last much longer and seal better than others.

What material is your roof made with? Is it fiberglass, rubber, (there are 2 main different types of rubber roofs), or something else.

If it's a rubber roof, you want to use Dicor Lap Sealant. Silicon sealers will eat the rubber on a rubber roof and eventually cause even more serious issues within a short while. Silicon does not hold up very well against the elements either for around windows and the running lights on any camper. For sealing anything on the side of your camper, no matter what the skin is made with, use Butyl putty. It comes in a roll and is applied before installing the item on the camper, like a gasket.

If your roof is fiberglass, you'll probably want to reseal those holes with an fiberglass epoxy sealer.

If it's metal, something like Eternabond tape is a good choice. Actually, Eternabond is a good choice for all surfaces to cover a rip, a tear, or a hole.

Two types of product work well on RV roof holes/tears, regardless of the roof material. Those are a lap sealant (Dicor 501 or similar) an a roof repair tape (Eternabond & similar). Fiberglass roofs open up quite a few more options because most any exterior grade caulk/sealant is compatible, but the old stand-bys work fine too.

I like Dicor for the roof, and Geocel Proflex RV for the sides. Both on Amazon. Define small hole? A quarter size or less, I'd use Dicor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom