starter problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bushwacker

hello, trying to get this 82 chevy p30 chassis going. bear with me, not sure of the terminology. regarding the ignition (key) switch, all the way to the left is "off", one click to the right is "on", one further click is "start", then you can turn the key further to the right and it will spring back. I replaced the key tumbler and the part that houses it. I disconnected the wiring harness and rehooked it to the new one. same problem as before. the starter will engage as soon as I turn the key to the "start" position, without even getting to the part where you turn the key and it will spring back like a normal start. so is my problem messed up wiring, or could it be something in the starter solenoid? I am a novice concerning electrical aspects of a vehicle. thanks for any info.

Not sure if the back of the switch is labeled but the first position from Off is usually accessory, the second is Run, and the spring loaded position is Start that engages the starter.

All the way to the left is acc., one click right is 'off', another click right is 'on', the momentary position is start.

thanks for the clarification. although I don't believe the wiring at the harness is wrong. I'm thinking the problem is on the other end. The wires at the harness appear to be the "original" wiring and the harness only fits one way connecting to the igniton switch. will take a closer look today. thanks again all.

Gm SWITCH positions should be

From Counter clockwise to fully clockwise

ACC
LOCK (Key removable in this poistion only)
OFF
ON
START (Spring return to ON)

Now, as I understand there are some switches (Toyota perhaps) where it is Lock/off/ACC/ON/START

But the spring return is always from START to ON (YOU have to hold it in start)

But in GM ignition switches. at least since the 1980's up to 2005, it's been ACC/LOCK/OFF/ON/START

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom