starter relay question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreams

Nothing major just curious question.

Some background: Have a 1976 Superior on Dodge M500 chassis, 440-3 with headers. Anyways took her out for a test drive and when we turned her off the heat from the end of the header that wasn't wrapped radiated up on the starter relay and got flame going for a few seconds. Some of the wire going to the starter melted. Just to make sure all is well went ahead and got a new relay and replaced the wires and connectors.  BTW did wrap the rest of the header to prevent it from happening again. 

So my question is on the relay stud it has the wire from the battery, the wire going to the starter, the fusible link to the alternator, and a fusible link for the hazard lights. Does it matter what order the wires go on to the stud and should I put star washers in between the ring connectors?

Thanks, Jen

In the great scheme of things it probably does not matter, But; If it was me the wire to the starter would go first, the alternator second hand hazard lights last.
I assume the one from the battery is on the other stud on the other side of the relay correct?

My 73 Dodge has only one stud so the battery and starter wire are both on it. The relay doesn't switch the main cable just the smaller wire to the starter solenoid. That reduces the amperage load on the relay points.

Theoretically it does not matter which order the wires are put on. But I prefer to put the highest amp load battery wire on first, then the starter wire, then the alternator, then the hazard lights. These should be touching each other for the best electrical connection between them. I would not put star washers between them.

I agree with darsben and thebar the order does matter in one context.

Often the "higher" loaded wire will have a ring connector that is slightly bigger (more surface area) - in theory that provides more contact area so should go in first.

Only one star washer if used but often the nut itself is serrated and in that case no washer is required.

darsben said:
In the great scheme of things it probably does not matter, But; If it was me the wire to the starter would go first, the alternator second hand hazard lights last.
I assume the one from the battery is on the other stud on the other side of the relay correct?

I agree. Save for the error, as for star washers they SHOULD not be needed but.. I once needed them.. Just once. in over 50 years and multiple vehicles. but I needed one on an alternator mount.

Now what is the error:  The line to the Starter goes on the Switched end of the Solenoid all by it's lonesome.
The line from the BATTERY is first on the Hot Stud.

Ok just one stud and I figured makes sense for biggest first so I will go battery to relay, then relay to starter, then relay to alternator,  and then the hazards. Wasn't sure on the stars because some say because the rings are all different the stars make better contact. It all worked either way so I will skip stars and hope I don't have to replace them again for a while.

Thanks for the input. Happy travels...Jen

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom