State-by-State Gun Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yorick

Hi Everyone.

I've searched our forum and did not find this topic already posted. There were some comments and replies that were marginally helpful. So, here goes...

Does anyone know of any useful websites that summarize or give ACCURATE guidance on the gun laws in each state. As we are preparing to begin our fulltiming across multiple states, I want to be educated on what we can and cannot do in each state. In general, I keep my firearm(s) in a locked keyed and biometric safe that is bolted to the RV. I don't carry outside the RV. It's intended to be for home defense only.

So, I don't have any plans to take it out on the range regularly except for occasional practice with the wife and kids in places like Texas and other gun-friendly-and-responsible states.

So, any advice?

I'm hoping for "summarized" sites so that I don't have to read the full gun laws of each state.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, @Babe2201 !!!! Amazing and useful website. I knew I asked the right people. :) Thank you so much. Still taking suggestions from others in case there are other websites. Or, maybe you also use handgunlaw.us website. If so, speak up. That helps me to see that others find it useful.

I have the one that Kirk posted and carry it in my MH. Soft copy is what I have. I buy the update every year. Great resource.

For informational purposes only:

For informational purposes only:

Thanks, @Tulecreeper . I found those sites too. However, a lot of these online sites are created by groups who have an agenda which makes their information suspect. What I'm looking for is factual information based on the laws and not clouded by the bias of the people running the site which muddies information.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate you.

It is important to know which states have reciprocity with your home state. That means they will honor the laws in your state even though they may be more permissive then their own. For instance my state allows concealed carry in any restaurant that does not serve alcohol, some states forbid carry in any restaurant, or even the definition of the word "restaurant".
Reciprocity only applies to concealed carry, which the OP said he isn't interested in.

Thanks, @Tulecreeper . I found those sites too. However, a lot of these online sites are created by groups who have an agenda which makes their information suspect. What I'm looking for is factual information based on the laws and not clouded by the bias of the people running the site which muddies information.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate you.
That is why I said, "for informational purposes only". All of those sites have an agenda. It's up to you to pick through them for the truth. I carry every day, and I have for almost 40 years, so I don't personally have an agenda.

Reciprocity only applies to concealed carry, which the OP said he isn't interested in.
There are other people reading these posts, not just the OP. You may not consider concealed carry to be relevant to this discussion but I believe anyone transporting a gun should be aware of all applicable gun laws. Concealed carry and even possession of a gun can illegal.

In NY: "If you stop for the night, such as at a motel, or a campground, and you’re found in possession of a firearm, you could be arrested because you will be in violation of the law. Even stopping for gas or food is risky and would be at the discretion of the officer who is arresting you." And stay away from NYC altogether.

There are other people reading these posts, not just the OP. You may not consider concealed carry to be relevant to this discussion but I believe anyone transporting a gun should be aware of all applicable gun laws. Concealed carry and even possession of a gun can illegal.

In NY: "If you stop for the night, such as at a motel, or a campground, and you’re found in possession of a firearm, you could be arrested because you will be in violation of the law. Even stopping for gas or food is risky and would be at the discretion of the officer who is arresting you." And stay away from NYC altogether.
Bar, the OP was only asking about standard guns laws, not concealed carry law so I didn't want to muddy the waters by bringing up irrelevant information.

And while I would personally stay away from NY, that law does not apply to everybody. Those of us who fall under LEOSA can legally carry in all 50 states, and all US possessions. We still have to abide by certain state laws such as school zones and magazine limits, but otherwise federal concealed carry law trumps state law.

...but otherwise federal concealed carry law trumps state law.
If I'm in error here Tulecreeper please correct my thinking, but so far as I understand it states reserve the right to pass and enforce laws on carry and ownership/use in general that are more restrictive than federal statute, but they cannot pass nor enforce laws that would be more permissive or lax than federal statute.

in other words, states can supercede federal laws only so far as they exceed the minimum standards of existing federal code, and all state laws on firearms will at least meet said code.

That is why I said, "for informational purposes only". All of those sites have an agenda. It's up to you to pick through them for the truth. I carry every day, and I have for almost 40 years, so I don't personally have an agenda.
Noted. Thanks @Tulecreeper. I think you and I both have an agenda: Protect those we love and ourselves. :)

If I'm in error here Tulecreeper please correct my thinking, but so far as I understand it states reserve the right to pass and enforce laws on carry and ownership/use in general that are more restrictive than federal statute, but they cannot pass nor enforce laws that would be more permissive or lax than federal statute.

in other words, states can supercede federal laws only so far as they exceed the minimum standards of existing federal code, and all state laws on firearms will at least meet said code.
That is true, up to a point. As long as those state laws do not violate the 2nd Amendment as adjudicated by the SCOTUS. Some states are attempting to side-step the ruling, even though they know it will eventually be tossed out as unconstitutional, just to throw a wrench into the works.

I am very pro-2nd. I am also very pro-taking some kind of training to be able to carry. As a retired LEO, I am required to qualify annually with a local LE agency in order to maintain my LEOSA card. If I have to go through it, everybody else should also.

I held back to see other's opinions, being new and not wishing to offend others with mine. This thread seems to be surprisingly pro-2A.

My personal take is: if you aren't wearing or waving a firearm around like a magical talisman of safety, you're probably safe no matter where you go. I don't judge others for their preferences. If you stay strapped all the time with a backup piece in your sock, or just hate icky guns altogether, I'll still like you. Just evaluate how likely probable cause for you to be searched may be and where, and let that guide your decision.

One such case you may not think about would be if your rig is displaying plates from a state that is pro-weed. Many cases of anti-weed state law enforcement targeting those with pro-weed state plates for minor traffic offenses that turn into a search for contraband that's legal where you came from. During such a search, a firearm that's possibly also not legal is likely to be discovered incidentally. A once popular radio host had this happen. His coach was registered in OR. Passing thru a small TX town, he got nailed in a speed trap. That turned into a big shakedown, where weed and guns were discovered. It didn't end well for him. Fortunately for him, it was a money grab, and also what made him a target. Local yokels correctly figured a man driving a million dollar coach could buy his way out of around $1,500 of criminal charges in the form of "bail and court fees." The City clerk even had a charge card terminal to make it even more convenient.

If I'm traveling in my car or on a murdercicle, I'm probably carrying. In my big truck, no. The big truck being a commercial vehicle is much more likely to be searched and I don't need that headache. I also routinely pass through anti-2A places like IL and NY. With that in mind, I've been doing this for a living for the past 12 yrs and not once have been in a position to wish I had one. Probably helps that I look like a walking hate crime, and been known to pre-trip my rig with a roofing hatchet to thump tires with a kitchen trash bag hanging out my back pocket. The bag is for picking up my dog's poop, but nobody needs to know it isn't for stowing body parts for later disposal. ;)

That is true, up to a point. As long as those state laws do not violate the 2nd Amendment as adjudicated by the SCOTUS. Some states are attempting to side-step the ruling, even though they know it will eventually be tossed out as unconstitutional, just to throw a wrench into the works.

I am very pro-2nd. I am also very pro-taking some kind of training to be able to carry. As a retired LEO, I am required to qualify annually with a local LE agency in order to maintain my LEOSA card. If I have to go through it, everybody else should also.
I have to respectfully disagree. I do agree with the fact that everyone should get training on firearms safety either formally or informally before they carry but I do not believe it should be mandatory because every free person should have the right to defend themselves with or without training. People who have never been LEO can obtain the LEOSA card so no matter how much they train they will never have the same privileges as someone with that card.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom