State-by-State Gun Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than the constitutional question, I personally don't mind the idea of reasonable proficiency requirements, google says the LEOSA standards are 17 of 24 shots in the 7 right (outer largest ring) of a standard B27 silhouette target, google does not say the range, here the CCW permit requires I think 70% hit at 25 feet into the sihouette of a B27 or did when I took the class a number of years ago. I just looked at the current requirements (Louisiana passed a constitutional carry bill that goes into effect July 4th so somewhat moot), it looks like they have added more hoops since I did the class circa 15 years ago, some new hoops, fingerprints, but must be done by state police (when I did my class they accepted fingerprints done at local police or sheriffs offices) are anyone that is divorced must submit divorce paperwork, court orders, etc. which I find insane for a CCW, I am divorced, why should it matter that was a quarter of a century ago, or well be in a couple of months.

The problem I have is all the hoop, sit through an 8 hour class before you can go do the shooting qualification test, submit fingerprints, which must be taken by appointment at only limited locations, submit divorce paperwork, court orders, etc. They now have even divided up the qualification list to be different for people that have lived in the state for less than 15 years vs those that have been here for over 15 years.
I don't get the notion that Concealed carry has much to do with 2nd amendment.

I don't get the notion that Concealed carry has much to do with 2nd amendment.
It is part of that shall not be infringed part, it is a double edged sword issue, you can't carry a concealed gun, and if you openly carry one in many places you may be charged with "brandishing" a firearm. Which leaves what? You can carry a gun in your own home behind closed doors?

At its core a CCW permit is a bit like having a license to partake in free speech, some may argue that in some case people need a license to partake in free speech, take for example Ham radio operators, who must pass some type of test before being allowed to operate / transmit on a radio in certain frequency bands. A key difference here is that those people seeking a Ham radio license don't have to routinely retake classes, requalify, submit fingerprints, divorce and other court records, jump through an ever changing number of regulations in order to practice this right.

Imagine if you will if the right to free speech, only applied to speech done within the confines of your home.

take for example Ham radio operators, who must pass some type of test before being allowed to operate
"Operate" is NOT "speech". It is perfectly legal for me to have an unlicensed person "TALK" (free speech) on my ham radio stuff as long as I am here to "operate". I don't even have to say a word, as long as I my station is ID'ed which could be an automatic CW callsign. But I still must be the one on the controls, to make sure the "speech" is on a legal ham frequency and stuff like that.

IOW, no license is required to talk on ham radio. A license is only required to operate it. IOW, it is 100% constitutional, there is no constitutional right to operate anything, AFAIK.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Other than the constitutional question, I personally don't mind the idea of reasonable proficiency requirements, google says the LEOSA standards are 17 of 24 shots in the 7 right (outer largest ring) of a standard B27 silhouette target, google does not say the range, here the CCW permit requires I think 70% hit at 25 feet into the sihouette of a B27 or did when I took the class a number of years ago. I just looked at the current requirements (Louisiana passed a constitutional carry bill that goes into effect July 4th so somewhat moot), it looks like they have added more hoops since I did the class circa 15 years ago, some new hoops, fingerprints, but must be done by state police (when I did my class they accepted fingerprints done at local police or sheriffs offices) are anyone that is divorced must submit divorce paperwork, court orders, etc. which I find insane for a CCW, I am divorced, why should it matter that was a quarter of a century ago, or well be in a couple of months.

The problem I have is all the hoop, sit through an 8 hour class before you can go do the shooting qualification test, submit fingerprints, which must be taken by appointment at only limited locations, submit divorce paperwork, court orders, etc. They now have even divided up the qualification list to be different for people that have lived in the state for less than 15 years vs those that have been here for over 15 years.
LEOSA standards are a minimum. The agency you qual with can be more strict, and the last one I qual'd with was - 50 rounds, maximum possible score was 500 points; minimum score to qualify was 400 (80%). They didn't screw around. If you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, they told you that you could try one more time the following week. If you still didn't qualify, you didn't carry.

My score the year before last was 494; last year it was 465. I had a bad day. :rolleyes:

I suspect a lot of agencies are leaning toward the more lenient end of that spectrum these days. I was at a community meeting where our local sheriff gave a short 5 minute speech yesterday (tax election coming up that pays a large chunk of the deputies pay). He talked about not knowing what they will do if the tax renewal does not pass, that it provides for over over $500 per month of each deputies pay check, and how it is hard to recruit people to go into law enforcement when they can make more money working in local industry instead, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom