State Park campground space sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I said, different strokes for different folks; What works best for one person may be the opposite for someone else.

Having a cheat sheet doesn't do it for me, just one more keystroke for me to forget or one more piece of paper to lose. I never did learn to type and can only look on in awe when I see Chris typing extremely fast without ever looking at the keyboard; She calls me the fastest 1-finger typist she's seen  ;D  I've even tried a non-QWERTY keyboard and it didn't seem to help.

A mouse doesn't work for me either and is useless in a tight space.

Interestingly, I was relatively fast and accurate with a Palm OS device, either using the on-screen keyboard or writing on the screen. I did far better than I could with a regular computer keyboard. Again, different strokes I guess. (Oops, unintended pun).

Back to my original suggestion for using a trackball (or mouse if you prefer) with a mapping program or the TL CD. I have no idea how I'd use a keyboard to scroll over a point on the map in order to have the respective info show up on the screen. Similarly when I'm using marine nav software and I need to scroll over a point and see the respective info show up.

She calls me the fastest 1-finger typist she's seen

In high school, I worked for a pharmacist that could type faster with 2 fingers than most touch typists could with both hands.  He could type labels faster than any printer I've seen :)

Well, I can see how a question on a forum is no different than when one is sitting at a computer with the Google screen in front of them and you type in that "question-of-the-day" and 3 hours later you have created such a tangled web of clicks that you plumb forgot what you asked for in the first place.

I have now learned all about Woodalls versus TL versus the Big Rigs versus PA.  Then I've learned about using a mouse and the track ball.  Its just amazing what one can learn over a period of a few days.

I have spent several hours looking through the Oregon State Parks web site and the Reserve America web site and find there is a lot useful information including the length of any given RV parking spot.  But when I was getting all boned up on a ton information about buying and using an RV one of the things I kept running across was a hard rule that if you want to park in the National or State Parks system, especially east of the Mississippi River,  you must have a 30 foot or less trailer.  It is now becoming more clear that maybe that 30 foot did not mean a RV spot listed as 30 foot, which is what my thinking was when I purchased a 30 foot trailer.  It looks like a person needs to look for a 51 foot spot in order to accommodate not only the trailer but also the tow vehicle directly in-line with the trailer.  I have found that when looking at some of the forest campgrounds that some will say you must park on the "spur" with your trailer/tow rig and some don't say anything.

I'm probably expecting too much information but as everyone says you will learn as you go.  I just wonder how many green RV'ers have shown up at a park and found out they don't fit?

Tumbleweed97

tumbleweed97 said:
I just wonder how many green RV'ers have shown up at a park and found out they don't fit?

When that's happened to us, we've found state parks in Oregon and California to be quite accommodating and they allowed us to "overhang". In one case they made this allowance, then wrote an environmental impact report (I'll let you guess which state).

We've stayed in a lot of Oregon state parks, including LaPine, Beverley Beach, Memaloose, Clyde Holiday, Champeog and others I can't remember. They all had spaces big enough for a 30' trailer and tow vehicle and could handle units a lot bigger than that.

Forest Service campgrounds are another story. Most of those were originally designed for tent campers and have small spaces. And sometimes it's not the size of the spaces, it's the tight turns that prevent larger units. We have a 28' Class A and we have seldom had a problem in any state or federal campground.

HTH
Wendy

You can't always depend on the campground guide books.  For example, a few days ago we stopped at a Forest Service campground in Montana.  The AAA campbook says the RV length limit for that park is 20 feet.  We have a 40' fifth wheel and could fit into almost every site in the park.  No tight turns on the park roads either.

Jeannine

Back
Top Bottom