State Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adventurous Traveler

Beginning April 15, Georgia residents may book state park accommodations 14 months in advance, one month earlier than out-of-state visitors. Accommodations in the three lodge parks are excluded. Georgians, this means you can grab that coveted lake-front spot now for June 15, 2025!

Well, Florida just enacted a similar policy this year as did South Dakota so I believe it won't be long to most if not all state park campgrounds have the same policy.

Im am disgusted with the recent move by many states to charge "out of state" campers about double the "in state" folks,,,so much for tourism. In Idaho,, one of my favorite states, the rate for in state now is $40.00 and out of staters are socked $80.00 per nite with an added fee of $17.00 per vehicle..>>>Dan

I think a lot of it has to do with the covid surge where lots of folks are now camping in RVs at state and national parks. They can’t handle the crowds, so maybe it’s an effort to scale back the crowds? What we have found is that while they charge extra for out of state people, we were pleasantly surprised that Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky had senior citizens discounts, good ones, if you ask.

Im am disgusted with the recent move by many states to charge "out of state" campers about double the "in state" folks,,,
I have mixed feelings about the dual pricing at state recreational facilities. Back when I was working for a living in WY, most of the best places at the lakes in the eastern part of the state were dominated by people from Denver and in the western part of the state it was people from Salt Lake city. At that time I had a bumper sticker that read, "Live in Colorado, fish in Colorado. Live in Wyoming, fish in Wyoming." The smaller lakes in the higher mountains were much better because they didn't allow power boats but we would have supported a higher fee for campsites for out of state visitors, just as we demanded a boost in non-resident fishing license prices. The fee and the reservation issue are both things that tend to depend on your own life position and lifestyle. Several states have a senior discount that is only for state residents. When we were hosts at Ft Stephens State Park in Oregon, out of state visitors often found that to stay for a week they would have to change campsites one or more times due to the local people having reservations for their favorite sites. That need kept the KOA that was just across the road quite busy with those who couldn't get in. In Kansas, if a site was reserved but not occupied within the first 24 hours, the site became available for use by visitors who didn't have a reservation. Another state that we hosted in would make a campsite reservation but the site you got was not chosen until you arrived, and you could then pick from still available sites.

The rise in rates at commercial RV parks has played a major role in the increasing fees of the public agencies. Tight park budgets is a major factor in many public parks. It bothers me much less to pay increased rates in campgrounds that have been or are being modernized.

Mostly "feel good" politics, in my opinion. More for show than value. How many people can plan 14 months in advance? And will to make a commitment via a reservation?
When we were still able to winter down south, it was normal for us to be making next winter's Florida and Georgia reservations while we still there for the current winter. NY state parks has a 9 month reservation window, and we're booked right through Labor Day. NY only has a $5 premium for out of staters.

The three "lodge" parks are run by contractors (which I do not agree with) They are Unicoi at Helen in the mountains, Amicolola Falls, also in the mountains, and Georgia Veterans Park near Cordele.

I have been to Cloudland Canyon, and highly recommend it. I also have been to Black Rock Mountain and also highly recommend it (provided you have a rig that will get up the 8% winding grade into the park) and I have been to Fort Mountain, it i nice, and I recommend it for the views and the trails.

In Georgia we have other parks that I can recommend as much or more. Georgia Power Company has four campgrounds located on lakes they own and operate. and many more lakes are available for water sports of all kinds. There are also a number of US Army Corp of Engineers (COE or USACE if you prefer) that are very nice facilities.

I do need to hit more of the state parks, but like many people, you tend to want to go out of your area, so I don't go to what is literally at my backdoor (FDR State Park) or the front door (Chattahoochee Bend) either of which I can be at in 30 to 45 minutes.

And my planning is limited to a few days in advance.

Charles

We travel and camp in different states. And, even though a site is not available, I think is perfectly fine that "in state" residents should get first "pick" for the state they belong to. They are the ones paying the taxes and the support of those state parks. THEY SHOULD get first dibs.

The three "lodge" parks are run by contractors (which I do not agree with) They are Unicoi at Helen in the mountains, Amicolola Falls, also in the mountains, and Georgia Veterans Park near Cordele.

I have been to Cloudland Canyon, and highly recommend it. I also have been to Black Rock Mountain and also highly recommend it (provided you have a rig that will get up the 8% winding grade into the park) and I have been to Fort Mountain, it i nice, and I recommend it for the views and the trails.

In Georgia we have other parks that I can recommend as much or more. Georgia Power Company has four campgrounds located on lakes they own and operate. and many more lakes are available for water sports of all kinds. There are also a number of US Army Corp of Engineers (COE or USACE if you prefer) that are very nice facilities.

I do need to hit more of the state parks, but like many people, you tend to want to go out of your area, so I don't go to what is literally at my backdoor (FDR State Park) or the front door (Chattahoochee Bend) either of which I can be at in 30 to 45 minutes.

And my planning is limited to a few days in advance.

Charles
If you can get a site there, two of our favorite GA state parks are Ft Mc Allister SP near Savannah, and Crooked River SP near St Marys/Kingsland. Both have some full hookup sites.

North Carolina also graciously gives a seniors discount, I believe 10%,

When did the Idaho policy take effect? Two years ago when we go evacuated from Yellowstone because of the 500 year rainfall we landed up in Idaho, re-directed from our intended route to Montana. We stayed at a county CG just outside of Twin Falls at $27 per night FHU on the Snake River. Absolutely one of the top 3 campsites we have ever ever stayed at.

In Idaho,, one of my favorite states, the rate for in state now is $40.00 and out of staters are socked $80.00 per nite with an added fee of $17.00 per vehicle..
1713364940357.png
Idaho State park camping fees
We stayed at a county CG just outside of Twin Falls at $27 per night FHU on the Snake River.
The fees that he is talking about are the state parks so would not effect a county park as each county sets their own fees. I just looked at the Twin Falls County website and their camping fees have not changed.

If you can get a site there, two of our favorite GA state parks are Ft Mc Allister SP near Savannah, and Crooked River SP near St Marys/Kingsland. Both have some full hookup sites.
Obviously you're not the only ones as out of curiosity I checked Fort McAllister and all I could come up with was Campsite is not available through the end of the booking window.

Im am disgusted with the recent move by many states to charge "out of state" campers about double the "in state" folks,,,so much for tourism. In Idaho,, one of my favorite states, the rate for in state now is $40.00 and out of staters are socked $80.00 per nite with an added fee of $17.00 per vehicle..>>>Dan

I just booked a week at Castle Rock S.P. this morning.
7 night's $296. =$42.28 per night
No motor vehicle fee it's included with site
30 Amp and water

Why I feel I should get a discount at Michigan State Parks?
Ownership has benefits.. I mean to you think the CEO of Chrysler pays as much for his car as you would if you bought the same model? And "Employee pricing" applies to many purchases. Heck when I worked at Sears I got an employee discount. When I went across the road to K-Mart I got a discount at Kresge (The parent company) Back then coffee at Kresge cost 10¢ Then it went up to a quarter. and today about 10 of those at many places more at some.

So as every February I fill out a form or two. one being MI-1040.. (I'm a Michigan taxpayer) That means I'm one of the many (Roughly 10.3 Million) owners of the park I should get a discount.

I don't have a problem with the citizens of say.. Indiana, paying less at their state's parks or to use a phrase coined by Lou and Peter Berryman, "Your State's Name Here"

(It's a song. and funny) Google for it.

I was born in Michigan,, (Kalamazoo 1941 ) Just like California,, the two states I fortunately got away FROM..>>>Dan
Well I did it the other way around (Born in CA now live in MI) and frankly I love Michigan. But the fun thing about the USA. We have 50 most beautiful states and a few districts and possessions.. Many choices of places to live.

Why I feel I should get a discount at Michigan State Parks?
Ownership has benefits.. I mean to you think the CEO of Chrysler pays as much for his car as you would if you bought the same model? And "Employee pricing" applies to many purchases. Heck when I worked at Sears I got an employee discount. When I went across the road to K-Mart I got a discount at Kresge (The parent company) Back then coffee at Kresge cost 10¢ Then it went up to a quarter. and today about 10 of those at many places more at some.

So as every February I fill out a form or two. one being MI-1040.. (I'm a Michigan taxpayer) That means I'm one of the many (Roughly 10.3 Million) owners of the park I should get a discount.
What "discount" do you get from all the MI tourism ads your tax dollars are paying for?

Back
Top Bottom