States that give the most speeding tickets. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went through a period where I got one ticket for speeding each year. It was while I was driving my Camaro. It got totaled in a hurricane. Since then, I have not received even a warning.
Lesson: don't drive a Camaro in a hurricane.

That...and I don't agree. You would have to provide provenance that they are a suggestion for speed under optimal conditions.
I think the reference is to the posted speeds on off-ramps and the like, not the actual black text on white background speed limit signs. This wiki may help.

I don't think I would want to see what is called a large rock out there. :D

-Don- Auburn, CA
We drove the some 40 plus miles to Grand Grand Junction this morning. I saw the pile of rocks. CDOT had already blown up the boulders to little plowable rocks. Two large bulldozers were parked near exit 49 on I-70. If the rocks had fallen just a bit east it would have been a major detour versus less than 20 miles. Big boulders fall not too often, but occasionally people get killed.

That...and I don't agree. You would have to provide provenance that they are a suggestion for speed under optimal conditions.

Although I seldom speed, and although I was never a traffic enforcement officer and I never asked one what those signs actually meant, you have probably personally noticed that most of those signs are placed in areas where the "suggested speed limit" isn't even close to what a conscientious driver can maintain at the posted speed limit under optimal conditions.

The US DOT has a couple guides on this.

This explains what advisory speeds are and lists "normal conditions".

Below is the more granular guide which discusses how advisory speeds are determined and the methods used. The five most important factors when determining advisory speeds are:
  • Radius,
  • Superelevation
  • Tangent Speed,
  • Vehicle Type,
  • Curve Deflection Angle

Otherwise, how would you know what time the speed is for, and what kind of weather it's for? Rain? Mist? Ice? Midnight? 4am?

You are correct that some of the advisory speeds feel ridiculously low. If you have time to burn, you can read how they are set. You'll find that they conduct these tests under "normal" conditions.

For those of you who don't live in Ohio, thought I would pass along some statistics related to Ohio Highway patrol speeding enforcement, They issued about 241,000 speeding tickets last year. Only 1,200 were for exceeding the speed limit by 8 MPH or less. While you can get a ticket for anything over the speed limit, no points go on you license for anything less than 10 over if the speed limit is 70. At lower speed limits points kick in at 6 over. Enforcement is tighter on weekends and holidays as traffic is congested. Ohio has the 5th most interstate miles among the 50 states. Tickets start at $135 plus court costs.

Local enforcement is where you really need to be careful. Many small towns depend on speeding fines for revenue. And, they are allowed to patrol interstates within their city limits.

I went through a period where I got one ticket for speeding each year. It was while I was driving my Camaro. It got totaled in a hurricane. Since then, I have not received even a warning.
Lesson: don't drive a Camaro in a hurricane.

I know, off topic, but what year and model was the Camaro? Enthusiasts need to know. ;)

I know, off topic, but what year and model was the Camaro? Enthusiasts need to know. ;)
I'm not who was quoted, but this brings to mind a funny not funny Camaro story.

I've owned 3, all at the behest of my now ex-wife, although not the reason for the divorce. One '78 Z/28 that was painted arrest-me-orange and would do plenty to catch the eye of law enforcement. Later a '74 plain jane rental fleet refugee that could have been mistaken for a wheelbarrow. Then a real poser, an '80 that was just a pathetic thing in the shape of a Camaro, with the not awesome odd-fire 2.8L V6. I never even got pulled over in any of those.

On the other hand, a high school pal had a '77 that was just badass. 403 Olds, 4 speed, etc. I drove it ONE TIME, and it may or may not have involved a night in jail.

True story.

ETA: Having recited the story, I realize that last one was actually a Trans Am, not a Camaro. No wonder there was a jail angle.

Last edited:
I know, off topic, but what year and model was the Camaro? Enthusiasts need to know
Tommy once had one of those, great looking car but a hunk of junk in its design.

In the V6 he had, if you want to change a spark plug, step one is to remove the engine. No other possible way to remove any of the six spark plugs.

To stay on topic, we can say we get a lot of speeding tickets in Camaros. :D

-Don- Auburn, CA

Tommy once had one of those, great looking car but a hunk of junk in its design.

In the V6 he had, if you want to change a spark plug, step one is to remove the engine. No other possible way to remove any of the six spark plugs.

To stay on topic, we can say we get a lot of speeding tickets in Camaros. :D

-Don- Auburn, CA

I'm guessing it was a 4th generation (1993-2002) where the engine is positioned almost halfway underneath the cowl and front windshield. I'm very familiar with those as I've owned a few over the years, although most of mine were V8's. The rear plugs are reachable on the 6 without dropping the engine assembly if you have flexible tools and can get the car on a lift as those rear plugs are slightly more easily accessed from underneath. Then again, dropping the engine might actually be less hassle from start to finish! On those it's also done from underneath the car, the front subframe unbolts.

Again, on topic, with as many Camaros I've owned over the years - including very fast ones - I've actually never gotten a speeding ticket in a Camaro. (knocks on wood).

I have to say that I HATED what they did to the Camaro after '69. It was an abomination.
My L30 was THE Camaro.
the '70-2002 were abominations.
The newer models are where they should have gone in the first place. IMHO.
The Son and his wife have a new Camaro. It's a beauty. He let me drive it down to Durango and back home through Moab the last time we were in Junction. Managed to NOT get a ticket. I may have to quit while I'm ahead, with that.

I'm one of those believers who thinks all generations of Camaros are great. Each one is able to be loved and enjoyed in its own way. 1st and 2nd generations were a bit before my time but the original design is beautiful. IMO second gens didn't age very well. It was a rough time for GM. Third gens didn't age well, and then they did. True survivor IROCs are crossing the auction block 70k+ for the right ones. The 4th gens are still enjoying a glut of ubiquity and affordability, although, True survivor LT4 SS cars and 2002 35th cars are going anywhere from 40-60k. WS6 Trans Ams, Firehawks of the same era are one notch higher.

The third gen is what brought EFI and computerized engine management to everyday performance cars via Tuned Port Injection.

They're all pretty slow and primitive by today's standards. Still loads of fun to drive.

I love Mustangs too. They do have a documented history of trailing Camaro performance in top trim levels. ;)

See here.

I was surprised that Washington state did not make the list. I do not know anybody who has not gotten a ticket who has driven in the state of WA, including myself, of those who had an out of state license plate. But that was all in the 55-MPH speed limit days. 60 MPH would get you a ticket if you had an out-of-state license plate, even if you were the slowest vehicle on the road.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I was stopped on ! 5 NB going to Seattle to see the space needle and eat in the restaurant at the top. The speed limit reduced from 70 to 55 and I failed to notice. Next thing was the blue lights in the mirror. So here I was, Indiana plates on a bright red 1966 Olds 4-4-2, wonder it I stood out? When the trooper read my drivers license and registration he asked why I was in WA. When I told him I was stationed at Ft. Lewis an showed him my ID, he gave me a written warning and said "slow down and have a good day."

When I told him I was stationed at Ft. Lewis an showed him my ID, he gave me a written warning and said "slow down and have a good day.
I was at Ft. Lewis for basic and AIT in March of 1969 to July or so.

I wonder if he let you off because you were stationed there in WA.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I love Mustangs too.
Tom & I had two Mustangs at the same time. A black 2002 V6 Mustang and a red 1999 Mustang convertible. I still had them both when he died. I ended up donating the 1999 just to get rid of it and I traded the 2002 Mustang in on my Tesla for similar reasons and to also have a simple way to drive back here. I used to own way too many cars.

But I do NOT own too many motorcycles. In fact, I am one short.

There is a formula for how many I motorcycles I should have, proving I am one short.

The formula is "N + 1". The "N" represents the number of motorcycles I currently own.

-Don- Auburn, CA

My last traffic ticket was for speeding. It was in 1979 driving a 1968 Mercury Cougar coming down the on ramp to merge in with the California freeway traffic which was moving at above the 55 speed limit. The Los Angeles police officer stated that he had been following me for several miles from Northridge. I was clocked at 59 MPH in a posted speed limit of 55. I went to court to fight it, but had to attend traffic school to clear my record. Didn't so much like attending the classes at night in San Fernando being from Burbank.

Back
Top Bottom