Steering wheel vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gargoyle158

Just finished a month out on the road and noticed something that I think is going to cause severe damage to my wallet.  Damon Challenger 377.  Triton v10 2008. 50 k miles.  When negotiating a hill when the rig is shifting between 4th 3rd I am getting a noticable vibration via the steering wheel.  Especially noticable at 65 mph and 3500rpm.  Can't say it happens everytime but feels like most.  Looking for a consensus before I decide which shop I talk with.

Though vibration in ye old wheel can have many causes.. #1 on the list is Wheel balance.

Then there are bearing issues, Joint (Tie Rod and other suspension) and even motor mounts on some rides.... But I do not think that would be the case with your ride.

Too many things for me to list or even advidse..

NOTE: Factory generally does NOT balance RV tires.
Tire Dealers may toss a bag of balance beads in (Belle Tire here in MI does that).

My guess from the description would be torque converter.  Does it have a dipstick that you can check the transmission fluid with?  Has the TF ever been changed/flushed?

If always related to shifting while under load, I would be investigating transmission and and driveshaft linkages (universals, mount bearings, etc). If speed related I'd be looking at tires and wheels.

Trans fluid changed at 40000.  I have been thinking trans/ torque as I mostly notice it on hills, both up and down.  Guess I need to find a decent trans/ truck shop.  Best part of RVing. Using the the ole check book

gargoyle158 said:
Trans fluid changed at 40000. 

FWIW, I would only use a full synthetic in an RV related vehicle, temps can get pretty high.  So it might not be a bad idea to check your prior receipt to see what they did use.

Ok, 100 points to all those that picked Torque converter. I am now the proud owner of a new rebuilt tranny from Ford. Since I am a Gód Sam extended service member only cost me 500 of a 4000 final bill. Actually a little more because the insurance wanted additional diagnostic on my dime. Had the work done at Coach Crafters in Eustis FL. Took longer than expected. Insurance delay then delay in shipping trans. However Coach Crafters did a great job even doing the dealing with GoodSam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom