Step cover switch replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W7NW

On my 2004 Itasca Meridian the rocker switch to extend and retract the step cover is intermittent.  I tried to remove the switch to replace it but do not see an obvious way to get it out.  This is mounted in the switch panel by the passenger seat.  I know there must be an easy way to do this and would appreciate the help.

Edit by staff: changed message icon to Topic Solved

On my 03 the switch is on a 3 switch panel that is removed by taking out 2 screws, do you have something different? You could call here to get it replaced if you can't find one, Lichtsinn Motors (800) 343-6255.

I removed the two screws but the panel did not lift right out, seems to be just the template that is secured by the screws and the switches are clipped in.  Maybe I just need to force it?  But, yes, we seem to have the same configuration.

If it's a rocker switch, they're usually held in place by spring loaded tabs on the short sides of the switch that expand beyond the size of the opening once the switch is fully seated.  You have to insert something like a screwdriver blade against the short sides of the switch to compress them so they fit through the cutout.  Working from the back of the switch is easier, or you may be able to get the blade under the tab from the front.  Work on one end, pull it out slightly, then get the other end.

Sorry it took a bit, travelling. After removing the 2 screws mine simply lifts out, you unplug the harness from the bottom of a switch, then the switch itself is kind of like Lou describes only all you need to do on ours is squeeze the four tabs - 2 on each end - and the switch lifts right out of the mount plate. Literally a 30 second job. If yours is the same type of mount plate then put a little pressure on it to see if it starts to lift out on one corner or the other then work it up from there.

Our passenger-side switch panel sounds similar in design to yours and there's a chrome cup holder right next to the switches. I've found that it's pretty easy to get to the rear of the switches by removing the cup holder. They're just stuck down with some kind of sticky tape around the lip. Use a screwdriver to carefully pry around the lip and it will lift right out. The hole that it fits into is big enough for me to get my hand and forearm into to reach the switches. If you're like John Canfield, however, and all bulked up from years of weight lifting, your arm might not fit.  :)

Kev

Along the same lines, I wonder if my Patio/Door awning switch will come out the same way as described above?  Every once in a while when I go to move the patio awning I have to flip the Patio/Door switch a couple of times before the In/Out switch will move the awning.  Or if it hesitates I grab the little remote and the awning will move immediately.  I'm assuming since it's the Patio/Door switch I have to flip a couple of times it must be that switch causing the problem and not the In/Out switch (also there's never any problem running the door awning in or out.)

Wagon, if yours is like mine it's the same exact switch panel as above only the door/patio switch plate has 4 screws. Remove the screws and it lifts right out, you can see how the harness plugs in and the two tabs on each end of each switch. Squeeze the tabs and the switch will come right out of the plate.

Thanks Mavarick -  figured I should at least be able to get it out before trying to order another one.  Has anyone purchased any of these rocker switches, and if so where was the best source and what was the cost?  Not sure if all the different switches would be greatly different in price or mostly close to the same.
My indoor heating/cooling thermostat has been acting up intermittently and called Lichstinn to be sure they were in stock so may just order all at the same time.  Did find the thermostat on the web for 1/3 less than Lichstinn but figure I'd better remove my old one first to get a number off the back side since I understand there can be several different ones for the same purpose (but not exactly the same either).

Thanks to all who helped me on this.  I did order a replacement switch (from Lichstinn) and finally got up to where I store my coach and got it done this afternoon.  With your input I had enough confidence to tug and get it out.  Working fine now so on to the next task.

Back
Top Bottom