Steps Inop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

2021 Adventurer 29b
With the Step Switch in the Off position: My steps extend every time I open the doors. They then retract every time I close the doors. This started happening after sitting in the extended position for about 3 weeks.
I assume the Step Switch is faulty. I am about to leave on a long trip and do not want to screw with it now and possibly make things worse. I did cycle the switch several times with no change in function.
I will appreciate any input from someone who has had this or similar problems. Also, if it is the switch, any info about procuring a new switch and removal installation tips will be welcome.

Thanks,
John

Brand and model of steps is necessary for informative help. I will say, Kiwkee brand steps are always "hot", the controller switches the ground between open and closed to power the motor.
Since over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground, that's where I'd begin, removing, cleaning, and replacing the 2 ground connections to the MH frame from the step wiring.
Don't forget to remove the door reed switch, clean and tighten all the connections too.
This might be very helpful for identifying your model and troubleshooting too: Kwikee Products Service Training Manual

2021 Adventurer 29b
With the Step Switch in the Off position: My steps extend every time I open the doors. They then retract every time I close the doors.

Thanks,
John
And what do the steps do in the other switch position? Extend when you open the door and STAY EXTENDED until you start the engine?

If this is the case, this is NORMAL.

There is no OFF position, its just a choice of whether you want the steps to go in and out every time you open and close the door, or if you want the steps to stay out for the duration of your stay, until you start the motor.

Attachment is the labeling I put on my Winnebago View after I figured it out, so I would not get confused.

CharlesStep control switch.jpg

And what do the steps do in the other switch position? Extend when you open the door and STAY EXTENDED until you start the engine?

If this is the case, this is NORMAL.

There is no OFF position, its just a choice of whether you want the steps to go in and out every time you open and close the door, or if you want the steps to stay out for the duration of your stay, until you start the motor.

Attachment is the labeling I put on my Winnebago View after I figured it out, so I would not get confused.

CharlesView attachment 160542

Thanks for the replies.
The steps were always 'On' regardless of the switch position. They did retract when the engine was started. They opened and closed with the door but they would not stay extended with the switch in the 'Off' position.
The controller was bad. Ernie's RV Repair in Tumwater, WA replaced it. All is good.

Thanks,
John

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom