Stick home vs RV home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
It appears that Neva, who started this topic, has closed her account here in the forum. Hope it wasn't something we said? ???

Huh, wonder if it was accidental? She seemed to like it here. Maybe we were too chatty ?

Might have been accicdental Wendy. But I recall her saying something about a job opportunity in another state.

Jim:

Thanks for the nice words about our home.  Yes, we are happy with it and we think it's probably the best decision we've made about our future.  Until it was necessary, we really never thought much about "old age and what to do with it."  But now we're happy to have a place we really like, in a town that has so much going for it, and hopefully will continue to do so.

By the way, this area is a huge bird migratory path also, between Mexico and Canada.  Lots and lots of different species.  Also the hummingbird captiol of the US.  Hundreds of different varieties and they are just finishing up with banding them.  Can't imagine how in the world they can catch them, let along band them.  But then, they are in the middle of banding butterflies right now in the area as well.  Go figure.

Also, we don't have to go to Alaska to see bears, as they have had to kill a couple of black bears that have been roaming the Huachucas, because they were becoming too entrenched into human territory and wouldn't leave.  They were going after the bird feeders and such.  No one living in that area leaves food out unless it's the illegals leaving their trash everywhere.  But the residents know better and even have bear proof garbage cans.  Most of the residents up there are naturalists who enjoy watching wild life of all kinds.  The Fish & Game tried to chase the bears with rubber pellets, but that didn't deter them for very long.  People were afraid to go outside their houses and a few years back a bear tried to crawl into a window of someone's home.  They were able to scare it off, but they are now becoming a nuisance.

Well, this is far off topic, so I'll quit here and stop boring everyone.    Daisy

Daisy, I wasn't bored !! I like reading about the places people have chosen to live and I'm always interested in wildlife sightings. And you've really got me trying to picture catching and banding a hummingbird ....

Hi all,

Good thread. I'v enjoyed reading it.

This is our first full year in retirement, and we have been "on the road" since early May. We have spent the summer in the cool (right Wendy?) mountains of southern Colorado in an old mining town called Silverton, elev. 9310 ft. My husband has been working, and I have spent much of my time beading, stitching, putting the dogs in/putting the dogs out, etc.

As we have just retired, we still own our stick home, which our son has looked after. I have a "work-at-home" computer job, which is an annual project, which begins in late summer and concludes in the first quarter of the following year. So, can get it done while we are home.

Between our dog shows beginning in the fall and continuing through the spring, after which we will come back to Silverton in '07, we are gone a good amount of time.

We head back to Albuquerque this coming Thursday, and while I have enjoyed the peace and quiet of this summer, I am looking forward to re-grouping at home for awhile. We will be in and out through Thanksgiving, and then in until late April.

I have missed our kids - both married, one with our grandson and another on the way. The other is a professional magician and spends some time away from home. Both live about 5 min from us, so that is good fun.

Not sure I could go full-time with my grand(s) down the street and around 3 corners. But, with my physical limitations, we want to travel as much as we can while I am still able. So, we shall try to find a good balance for us.

Best,
BernerGran

Wendy:

ROFL about what you said about creative financing!!!

Neva - ?If there were no risks in life, there would be no gains in life.?  - very true Neva.  A lot of people miss out on a lot of life?s adventures by trying to avoid all risk.

BernerGran ? You mentioned dog shows.  Do you breed and/or show?  For ten years I bred and exhibited Akitas and bred 8 AKC champions.  Gave it up a few years ago and now my only dog is a faithful and RV- lovin Chesapeake Bay retriever.

Wendy  Catching the  Hummingbird shouldn't be that hard.  We have feeder here and many times 2 or 3 at one time are at the feeder. We walk right to it  while they are there and they don't seem to bother.  Last week I was within 3 ft of the one feeder and 3 were there, 1 flew away and actually paused for a secound at the bil of my cap. Startled me, but sure didn;t seem to bother it.  Love watching them.

Smokey,

We have Bernese Mountain Dogs. I say plural, because up until two weeks ago today, we were owned by two. Our oldest, would have been 8 in Octotber died of malignant histiocytosis - nasty cancer. So we now have just one - a 16 mo old little (80 lbs) puppy named Scotty. We haven't bred, and probably won't. Scotty has 2 pts. His dad took best bred by at Eukenuba last year in Tampa, so we hope for good things. Our old guy didn't like the ring, but earned a NDD and a CGC.

This is a bit off topic, so if we want to talk show dogs, perhaps we need to do private notes.

Thanks for asking.

BernerGran

Hi Daisy,

You did very well with that lovely home. Pat just loves that southwestern style.

I heard about the bears from the guy at work who owns a home in Sierra Vista. He has a friend that sends him a lot of the news. Heard they shot the cub first and then the mother. Too bad but it isn't good when they become to familiar with humans.

You should know you never bore anyone on this forum!!! :)

Smoky said:
You flew away Shayne?? This I want to see when I get there next month!? ?;D? Ooops... I read your "1" for an "I" lol!

Smoky, I saw it the same way :) Visions of Shayne flying over Arizona.

Shayne, Only 3 hummers at a time? We usually have at least 8 at our feeder except during the 2 weeks when the Rufous are around and then each male stakes out a feeder of their very own and chases all the other ones away except for that one special lady Rufous.

BernerGran said:
Smokey,

We have Bernese Mountain Dogs. I say plural, because up until two weeks ago today, we were owned by two. Our oldest, would have been 8 in Octotber died of malignant histiocytosis - nasty cancer. So we now have just one - a 16 mo old little (80 lbs) puppy named Scotty. We haven't bred, and probably won't. Scotty has 2 pts. His dad took best bred by at Eukenuba last year in Tampa, so we hope for good things. Our old guy didn't like the ring, but earned a NDD and a CGC.

This is a bit off topic, so if we want to talk show dogs, perhaps we need to do private notes.

Thanks for asking.

BernerGran

The forum has a couple of sections where you can carry on a show dog exchange no sweat.  The best is Hobbies, the next best would be Shade Tree.  If you want to do dawg tawk, either should be just fine, just start your own topic.  Shoot if we can do quilts, we can do show dawgs. 8)

Carl Lundquist said:
Shoot if we can do quilts, we can do show dawgs. 8)

Or non-show dogs.

Maybe Tom needs to add us a "Pet" section for discussions and advice on traveling with the hairy children....there's plenty of us here who have to vacuum pet hair in the RVs.

I second Wendy. Animals, pets, is a valid RV subject. I, for one, have such questions and maybe an answer or two for someone else.

I'll do an illegal asside, here. Until I found this forum, I tried to develop market understanding by studying E-bay. Time consuming and difficult to follow, for my purposes, but I learned some things. One interesting thing I learned was that smokers and people who have pets do not sell, on E-Bay. Look at any ad. "Never smoked in, and no pets." Wonder where us smokers and pet owners sell our used RVs, when we want to move up? Not E-Bay!

Ray D said:
Wonder where us smokers and pet owners sell our used RVs, when we want to move up? Not E-Bay!

I do some selling on eBay, mostly books, and I always list "non-smoking home" in the description. I don't mention anything about the free dog hair everyone gets with the books they buy from me :)

Smoky    Me fly?  Quit sipping the coolaid.  Instead wings  I was issued a pitchfork.    It's really different tho when you getr to see those little Hummers up close  like that.

Wendt/Ray,

I'd be glad to add a pets board if the traffic warranted.

;D

Really good idea and great offer.  Thanks so much.  I do pet post(s)!  I like them ... all kinds of them ... set it up with your fine skills and tell me where to go --  :eek: -- oops I mean which area to look in.  Closed that door.  Heh heh. 

Jaspers Mom  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom