Stick house A/C stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

I am currently in Florida living with my girlfriend for the winter and the A/C for her house stopped working. The A/C tech came out and said it was a bad compressor. He suggested replacing the entire A/C to the tune of $4000 because it is "old". A new compressor would cost around $1500. Both of these figures seem high to me. The A/C in question is a Goodman CKL30-1F. Suppose to be a 2 and 1/2 ton. Should she replace the whole thing or just the compressor? Is replacing the compressor something I can do? Where would I buy a compressor? I can't find one listed for sale on the Internet.

Tom, you won't be able to buy or replace the compressor, I don't think.  You would need the equipment, and ability, to capture the existing coolant and then recharge the unit after compressor replacement.  The dryer will also need replacing.  I suspect it is a rather old and inefficient unit if replacement of the entire unit is suggested. 

In another recent thread, I mentioned that it just cost me $1260 labor (plus the dryer) to replace a compressor under warranty.

DO shop around for the best price.  Costs vary all over the map....

tOM, wholesellers are not supposed to sell to anyone without an EPA license, besides you need a vacuum pump, silversoldering tools, meters, guages...it goes on and on besides the knowledge. get it wrong and no forgivness. Shop around but get a reputable and (hate to say it ) Licensed installer. If they cared enough to get a license then it's more than a hobby to them.

I will add that just today, my tech replaced condenser fan motor, capacitor and relay. Cost $604.00

Oh and by the way he sprayed some cleaner on the outside of the coil and washed it off with my water hose. Was doing me a favor I guess.

Tom, just read your post again, I don't have the prices but I think this guy's too high $4000 for a 2 1/2 ton comp. for that he should be replacing the condenser and evaporator units. Just my opinion but I may get back into the trade at those prices.

Tom,
What you have is a 10 SEER 2.5 ton straight cool unit. The first two numbers of the serial # will tell you the year it was made. Other #' would futher define it but the bottom line is..... it's a R22 system. Current requirements are 13 SEER R410A systems. The operative word there is "system"...airhandler, lineset (copper from outside to inside) unless current lineset can be flushed. Cost difference, new lineset! And outside condenser. Fl code require hurricane straps and concrete pad. See where this is going?
Yes the compressor can be replaced. Yes you do need EPA certification to purchase. Yes there's a lot of  this that and the other.
Goodman is a good product, about mid level units. They offer a 10 yr warranty on 14 SEER and above. Some of the 14 SEER systems qualify for the $1500 tax credit that goes out Dec 31. Actual figure is 30% of installed price up to $1500.
The $4000 quote is good if it's the complete system.
More info? PM, email or call me 850-293-2915.

I paid $1,895 to replace a 3.5 ton outside unit last December.  That may be what he's calling the compressor.  I think replacing the inside too would have more than doubled what I paid.

The newer unit is more efficient, so I'm using a good bit less electricity this year even though the summer has been hotter, IMO.

Given today's prices.. I don't think they are out of line.

If it's more than say 10 years old (perhaps less) replacing it with a new one can cut your power bill.. I don't know how long the pay back would be.. but the new units have a higher efficiency rating.

Also, depending on which part of FL you are in a heat pump might be an even better (and more costly) replacement.Further cutting your energy bills by providing heat for very little cost when it gets chilly out.

I went through that last fall, Tom, with the same repair vs.  new unit decision, and I opted for the new unit. Not cheap, but it should be good for a number of years, with 10 year warranty on the compressor, and shorter on the other components. The final point that swayed me was that spending $1500 and maybe having to get a new one in a year or two, vs. the >$5000 cost giving me years of security.

The specialized tools and procedures they used surprised me, capturing the old refrigerant, calibrating things, running temperature tests, and much more. For part of the procedure two people were required, and they actually brought in a third person at swap time.

I had my system checked last Fall and they offered a replacement system to me.  It was maybe a little bigger, cuz the price was higher however beside the gov rebate there was a deal with the electric comany.  Look at all the rebates and deals.  I kept mine because I was selling and wouldn't get the elec company benefit.  My problem was a thermostat in the house, but the tech went on about the efficiencies of new.  Had I been planning on staying I may have replaced.

Tom, what are the symptoms?  Does the compressor run, but doesn't cool or does it not run at all?  If it does not run at all, the problem may be outside the compressor - start capacitor, run capacitor, contactor...

You can purchase a new compressor here:  https://surpluscityliquidators.com/

I have purchased from these folks on several occasions and have always been happy. My last purchase was a 4 ton compressor for a large heat pump system. It has now been running for about a year with no problems.

They also sell new units at a substantial discount.

Chet18013 said:
You can purchase a new compressor here:  https://surpluscityliquidators.com/

I have purchased from these folks on several occasions and have always been happy. My last purchase was a 4 ton compressor for a large heat pump system. It has now been running for about a year with no problems.

They also sell new units at a substantial discount.

thanks for the link chet it looks some good prices and good to know someones bought from them before
:)

Back
Top Bottom