Stick over the fire cooking. What do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanbrat

We are getting ready to go out after a VERY long stay at home time. I normally like to cook out and about, but I was thinking more of the over the fire with a stick type stuff. I like the usual hot dog and marshmallows but also bacon wrapped shrimp and cinnamon apples.
So my question is what do you cook over the fire?

Burgers (ok, maybe not as successful with a stick. Need a grill for that one).

While backpacking, on the Appalachian Trail we cooked a small canned ham using Y shaped stick cut from a sassafras bush/tree. Poked a number of sharpened twigs, trimmed from the branch, thru the ham for additional flavor, and basted it with juice from a tuna fish sized can of pineapple chunks. It not only made for a great meal, but it lightened my pack by quite a bit! ;)
Safe travels and all the best.

Buy the longest bamboo skewers you can find and cook whatever you like on them.

Or use something like Gary was referring to to contain foods that might fall apart, while you grill them.

61DsYFcOjJL._AC_SL1118_.jpg

Charles

I have some pie irons... I think they will go with us. I used to make strawberry creme pies with creme cheese and strawberry jams and 2 slices of bread. Yum

The last thing I recall cooking on a stick over a fire besides marshmallows was a timber rattler that got too friendly with my campsite when I was a teenager. I don't recall if it tasted like chicken... :)

Age 13, on horseback, short trip from our farm, on an overnight ride about 8 miles to the Amite river. Cooked fish and squirrel on the camp fire for 5 friends. Since it was a cold night, Joe backed up too close to the fire before he realized bluejeans could get really hot. Him jumping around pulling the material away from his butt was just dang funny to the rest of us. Although he did sit tenderly in the saddle on the ride home the next day.
First time camping without adult supervision, however 50 years later I found out my Dad had very quietly followed us to see we were being safe and following common sense rules as taught growing up. Louisiana was a great place to live as a kid.

Find a stick the same diameter as a cooked wiener and wrap some bannock (Indian fry bread) around it. When it’s done fit the wiener in where the stick was and there you have it!

So my question is what do you cook over the fire?
If it's decided l'm doing the cooking while camping, I'll do whatever's for dinner. Gotta watch it closely to maintain a given temperature but between a grill grate on rocks, open or covered cast iron cookware, to wrap in foil and shove in the coals there's aren't many things you can't cook over an open fire.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Find a stick the same diameter as a cooked wiener and wrap some bannock (Indian fry bread) around it. When it’s done fit the wiener in where the stick was and there you have it!
We use broom handles with the tipped wrapped with foil (to keep them from burning up) to make campfire biscuits like this. I usually just use canned biscuits, the cheapest possible kind. Put a small hot dog in the middle after cooking, or just add some butter and jelly. Ummm. But not bannock is a campfire baked bread and fry bread is, well, fried! Not the same recipe or cooking method.

We also used to do a lot of foil dinners. Everybody made their own from common ingredients. Just mark the foil with an initial in mustard, and the mark will be visible after cooking.

It's mostly dogs and marshmallows for me. It is usually Marshmallows over the campfire because that is after dinner and it is dessert time. It is my favorite way to cook hot dogs and quite often use the coals after burning brush to cook them for lunch. I think they taste better than any other way.

We use broom handles with the tipped wrapped with foil (to keep them from burning up) to make campfire biscuits like this. I usually just use canned biscuits, the cheapest possible kind. Put a small hot dog in the middle after cooking, or just add some butter and jelly. Ummm. But not bannock is a campfire baked bread and fry bread is, well, fried! Not the same recipe or cooking method.

We also used to do a lot of foil dinners. Everybody made their own from common ingredients. Just mark the foil with an initial in mustard, and the mark will be visible after cooking.
I had a friend say to soak the wood in water first, but that just sounds soggy. Maybe one day I will try more than one way to see what works best. But not when I'm really hungry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom