Stinky Hot Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stppinz

Thanks to all your help, the Fam have had 2 great outing with out newly purchased motorhome.

Somehting has come up when using the hot water though. IT STINKS! Kind of like sulfur of something. Really bad at first, but I flushed the system a few times and doesn't smell nearly as bad now but still stinks when you put your nose to the water. The first couple of flushes the water had a pink tint to it. Assuming that was some sort of winterization chemical. The cold water is fine. It is just the Hot. Any thoughts...We are headed out tomorrow for a longer stint and would love to take a shower.

Thanks

The pink stuff sounds like antifreeze.

The smell is normal for water that has sat in the water heater for some time. Here's the fix.

You may want to put some bleach in the Water Heater and let it set for a few hours and then flush it with clean water.  Turn the Water Heater off during this process.

You can insert the bleach the same way you winterized. 

If I am going to let the MH set for over two weeks without using, I drain the Water Heater, takes a little time to refill and get the air out of the system but worth the time not to have the smell.

;D You know I saw this and went immediately to the cupboard to check my jar of boil eggs soaking in jalapeno juice but them all thar!  Just like the previous posters stated flush the system with bleach and it'll be fine in no time, hint, turn the water heater off.

You don't want to be like the guy refilling his propane while having a lit cigar in his puss! ::)

weewun said:
If I am going to let the MH set for over two weeks without using, I drain the Water Heater, takes a little time to refill and get the air out of the system but worth the time not to have the smell.

You don't want to get the air out of the water heater, it needs that to allow for expansion.  Just turn on the water and let the heater fill until water comes out of the faucets.

YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks for the help. I shall now have a warm shower after a long day of trail riding.

So...is this bacteria bad....other than the smell. Its not going to make me loose my hair or anything...I don't have much left!

weewun said:
You may want to put some bleach in the Water Heater and let it set for a few hours and then flush it with clean water.  Turn the Water Heater off during this process.

You can insert the bleach the same way you winterized. 

I didn't put in the antifreeze. Any special place I should pour the bleach?

This procedure in our library is the same procedure for chlorinating your hot water system. Click here. Just be sure to open one or two hot water faucets and let them run until you smell the chlorine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom