Stinky situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) So you can drain the black tank, then use the cleaner grey water to flush the black residue out of the hose.

2) If you overfill the grey tank, drain water will back up into the tub/shower.  It's nicer to have that be grey water than a combination of grey and black water.

Upsman,  sounds like the previous owners had a "poop pyramid" going on and you are slowly breaking it down.  After each time you dump, what's left of the pyramid stinks from not being under water.  You add more water, and the process repeats and will until the pyramid is finally dissolved and dumped.  From then on do as is suggested above.  Leave black tank valve shut unless dumping, after dumping add 5-10 (depending on tank size) gallons of water to the empty tank, and keep water in the bowl.  Water is your friend.

If it had been winterized, why would there be a partial tank of black water in the tank. Maybe your tank froze and cracked. A properly winterized rv should have empty tanks other than maybe a little rv antifreeze. Just a thought.

Conquest2011 said:
Since we are on this topic. Why are there two tanks? and not just one big one for both black and gray? I often wondered that but never ask.

AGREED!!  Think about it.  When I dump the black tank, where does it go?  When I dump the gray tank, where does it go?  I thought segregation was against the law  :D  (and rightly so!)

There really is a difference between black and gray, so separate tanks make sense. Until very recently, it was perfectly acceptable to dump gray water. Many parks had gray water cisterns, and some campgrounds still have gray water only drains.

If really stuck, see my post about pressure washing here...

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,114105.msg1031109.html#msg1031109

Bobtop46 said:
Upsman,  sounds like the previous owners had a "poop pyramid" going on and you are slowly breaking it down.  After each time you dump, what's left of the pyramid stinks from not being under water.  You add more water, and the process repeats and will until the pyramid is finally dissolved and dumped.  From then on do as is suggested above.  Leave black tank valve shut unless dumping, after dumping add 5-10 (depending on tank size) gallons of water to the empty tank, and keep water in the bowl.  Water is your friend.

That sounds about right. I think I?m getting control of it and getting it cleaned out. I?ve been to the storage facility several times and taken the camper to to the house and have no odors. I?m going to follow as much of this advise as possible and also put stuff in the tank to break down the pyramid. Heading out on a 2 week adventure soon!

jackiemac said:
If really stuck, see my post about pressure washing here...

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,114105.msg1031109.html#msg1031109

Thanks!

muskoka guy said:
If it had been winterized, why would there be a partial tank of black water in the tank. Maybe your tank froze and cracked. A properly winterized rv should have empty tanks other than maybe a little rv antifreeze. Just a thought.

I don?t know if it was ?properly? winterized or not, but it was winterized. All the tanks hold like they should. No leaks or anything. It was a theft recovery in Oct 2016. Insurance had it until Feb 2018. They had it winterized for sure. My first hookup I tried to run all the pink antifreeze out of everything, put the plug back in the hot water heater, etc. As I was running the water to flush everything, I realized it was pink water for a long time. That?s when I looked at my fresh tank and it looked like it was 35gal of pink lemonade! After draining/filling/flushing the tank multiple times, it finally clear. So it was winterized. They just left waste in the tank. It?s easy to pour antifreeze in it, but an insurance company taking it to a dump station isn?t as likely I guess.

UpsManBrad said:
No problem. We couldn't believe what came out of our tanks, especially the grey one! Glad to see you are getting the problem resolved or dissolved  :eek:

For the future: There is little reason to fill those tanks with antifreeze solution. The important thing is to drain or dump any contents in the tanks.  A tank full of air cannot not freeze and a little water left in the bottom will have ample room for expansion when it does. After draining the hot water tank, they will most often have a winterizing valve or valves to be set to prevent antifreeze from filling the tank while filling the pipes.

Back
Top Bottom