Stinky water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CampFool

I'm guessing I'm not the only one, but my water heater developed a sulfur smell this summer. The smell got worse the longer the water heater was full. The only real change is moving from city water to well water. We don't get the sulfur smell around the house, which is on the same well water. I'm wondering if a good cleaning will help. Maybe vinegar, or some other hard water deposit solvent. Maybe I just need to drain the water heater between trips.

Thanks,

Just drain your water heater when not in use.  We had the same thing happen this summer on our brand new travel trailer.  4th trip out it had sat for a bout 6 week.....sulfur smell.  We just ran a few tank loads of water through it, and all was well.  We will drain it this time.

There was a great how to do it in Family Motor Coach Mag.  A few months ago.  Cured the problem.  Remove the drain plug run the water through the system for about 10 min. And no more smell. Make sure the water coming out of the heather is clear.

Takes about 1/2 hr.

Flush the whole system.

Jim

You can get a little "flush wand" either at Walmart or an RV store.  When the plug is out use the wand to get the gunk out of the bottom.  If you have an electric element in there and the gunk actually gets to the level of the element it's toast.

There are bacteria that love dark warm places and your water heater is one of those places.  If it's going to sit just drain it and then the little critters have no place to live.

All you need to do is to sanitize the RV's water system. You might get by just flushing out the water heater, but chances are fair the bacteria will grow back again.

We have an article on smelly water in the Forum Library and another on basic water system sanitizing. It's good practice to sanitize at least once a year.

Yep, a system sanitizing is in order.  Here's the Library link for curing the "rotton egg smell" symptoms.  Emptying the HW tank between trips, and sanitizing 1-2 times per year will keep it from returning.  I always sanitized in conjunction with dewinterizing (beginning of season) and then sometimes midway through the season again, as needed.

Try adding a little peroxide when you fill it kills bacteria and I safe to drink.also dump tank we have a cabin and had the same problem between trips. We learned to dump when we leav and add peroxide when we fill no more stinky water. It is well water so sometimes smells like skunk when hot but no more. I found that tip on the Internet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom