Stock Wrangler sport, Prep for Moab rally????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hes4all said:
Looks like you do Steve. Very nice set up.

Do you have trails around where you live?

Get out and drive that puppy!

And ditto on the leather gloves!

Just curious, does your winch have cable or rope?
I put together a nice recovery bag with all the goodies in it!

And John, I carry a pruning saw too.
That way that is all I need to grab to help someone!

And a good tire plug kit is a must! I don't think anyone has said that yet!

The best I have around here is fire roads in the forest.

The winch I ordered has synthetic rope, hope it's a decent quality line on it. Got the gloves and plug kit!

captsteve said:
OK Guys, Here is where I stand as of now.

Front recovery bumper w/ 12k winch: Installing bumper today, winch will be here on the 21st.

Wednesday, 2" lift and 33"MT tires install.

Wednesday, Remove factory steps and install Rock Sliders.

Have: 1-30' recovery strap, 1-Fire Extinguisher, 1- First aid kit, 1- Tire repair kit, 1- Compressor, Spare fluids, 1- Folding Shovel, CB Radio, Rear receiver hitch recovery adapter.

Whats next??? I think I should be set for a bit for the mild stuff????

Might want a pair of jumper cables...if you have an android tablet with a built in GPS... find the app called "Back Country Navigator"... You'll love it for finding your way around the trails of Moab and many other places.  Might wanna yank that back seat out now, the space will be useful unless you have more than one passenger.  Spare fuses are always handy...  check out the post by Sarge about the 4wd shifter issue...  also, some front sway bar (manual) disconnects will be helpful... and, maybe, some Staun tire deflators...finally, some grab handles that attach to the roll-bar will be appreciated by your passenger...

we always fill an old one gallon antifreeze container with plain ole water and put it under the driver's seat, JIC.

didn't see a "tool kit" in your list either... only need to bring the tools that you are going to use though (lol).

taoshum said:
if you have an android tablet with a built in GPS... find the app called "Back Country Navigator"... You'll love it for finding your way around the trails of Moab and many other places.
I use Back Country Navigator on a Nexus 7 tablet - works great!

Well, I'll see. I think I'll use Tail light navigator on my windsheild!

Here is the new bumper installed.

Attachments

• Bumpersm.jpg
    Bumpersm.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 30
Steve....bring it down and we'll try to follow my nephew Jesse thru the swamp trails at 5A and River Ranch..He would love to take us out there..

Shoot Will, I might have to try that next time home. I gotta get it done first, then service the RV for the Moab run.

Back Country Navigator Pro is a app that we use to import and export trail tracks. Create tracks, leave bread crumbs, use gps coordinates,  and put in waypoints. One needs a android tablet that has gps. most e readers do not have gps It's so much easier to use than a trail book. But they would be the next best thing.

You automatic become a member of every trail when you purchase BCN. Which is a source of tracks and info. Trail Damage is another great source.

7 or 8" tablets seem to be a good size. And you'll need a 12v usb adapter to keep the battery charged. We use a roof mount, but windshield mounts seem to be the most popular. Al-tho I think they impair you view.

Technology has met off roading,  and it is another great tool to help keep us safe on the trail.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Want some Moab pin-striping try Hey Joe Canyon....http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=89

Ask Mike & Crystal how they liked it.<G>

Hey Joe Canyon trail rating as follows;  Difficulty level, easy.  Scratches, DEFINITELY!!!

Never again on that one. ;D

Mike.

Betty Brewer said:
The trail starts out pretty enough and then... note the archway.  I  think it is about here that Mike turned around as this was an out and back trail to get scratches coming and going!

Don't let Betty's first picture mislead you and the second picture doesn't quite do the shrubs justice. :'(

But hey, don't let me sway you guys.  Everyone should try that trail at least once. ;D

Mike.

Ok guys, I need help!!!  I'm shopping for some good sliders. I have a chance to get these  http://www.quadratec.com/products/12528_2412_07.htm from a local shop, they are take offs for $325.00.

I just dont know how they will stand up to real use. Any other suggestions for some solid ones that won't break the bank??

Are those for a JK?  I looked at that link and those were for a TJ/LJ.  Call Northridge 4x4 and ask them for recommendations.  If the sliders bolt against the side of the body, be sure and use a gasket to keep moisture from wicking in between the two and facilitating rust.

You dont need to prep for anything, my stock wrangler goes places atv driver are scared to go, save yourself the $$$$

Attachments

• liguardo jeep1.jpg
    liguardo jeep1.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 24
I may not have put up the right link. They are for the JK. They bolt where the stock ruby rails do on the floor and pinch weld.

vmax1 said:
You dont need to prep for anything, my stock wrangler goes places atv driver are scared to go, save yourself the $$$$
That depends entirely on the type, difficulty level of the trail and what you're driving.  A stock 2-door JK Rubicon is very, very capable right off the showroom lot.  A stock 4-door - no way Jose; I've seen stock 4-doors play the beached whale trick time and time again.  I felt embarrassed for this one guy I was on a trail with - he had to be strapped over sharp breakovers maybe 6-8 times in one day.  Made for a long day for everybody else  ::).

captsteve said:
I may not have put up the right link. They are for the JK. They bolt where the stock ruby rails do on the floor and pinch weld.
The blurb I read said 3/16" steel so that's a positive.  Generally speaking, Smittybuilt isn't exactly top of the shelf stuff.

The slider part seems ok but the tubing seems too weak. I am really at a loss on which way to go. I might just wait and see how much I tear up the factory steps. LOL

If you want the clean and close to body look but still very solid, the OEM Rubicon rails are very rigid and umazingly will withstand the weight of a the Jeep very easily.  I wanted a guy hammer his 4-door on an obstacle called Wayne's World on one of our Utah trails and I was amazed when he made it up and over how the powder coating was only scratched.  The manner in which he kept repeatedly dropping the weight of the Jeep on the drivers' side rail, I would have thought it would look like a pretzel when he made it up and over.

Aftermarket one I like the Teraflex.  They are solid and look nice as well.  They stick out a little further than the OEM which also helps keep the road spray off the body a little.  A guy in our Jeep club just installed a set and I really like them. 

Like John said, make sure to get a gasket between the body and sliders if they attach to the side of the body at all.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I'm really stuck on this. I like the terraflex but not the price. I may go with the Smitty XDs after looking around the rails are as heavy as most other good ones3/16"  and the pipe is .125"  I think I want the pipe for DW to step on. for $325.00 It's cheap enough I guess and if I fold them up, Oh well...

Finally got the lift installed. 3.25" shock and spring leveling kit. I think it looks much better now with the 33's. STill waiting on the winch and trying to decide on the Sliders...

Attachments

• jeep side.jpg
    jeep side.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 25
  • jeep front.jpg
    jeep front.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom