Storage Facility Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshleyRV

Hi - I have access to some land and as part of development we are considering building  large, luxury motorhome or RV rental storage units in South Johnson County, KS.  I am trying to determine what level of interest there might be to rent such a facility.  These units would be fully enclosed, heated (so you don't need to winterize), 30 & 50-Amp service, with either dumping stations in each bay or community dumping station and fresh water.  We haven't determined the size but we?re leaning toward 55' L x 15'W prototype.  Does anyone have any interest for a unit like this in the south Johnson County, KS area?  Any features you'd like to see?  Post or PM me.  Thanks!

It's just my humble opinion, that and $1.50 gets you a cup of coffee, but it seems to me that a concept like that would work better
in a major metropolitan area.  Of course you can't move the land.  The idea is good but location, location, location.

I would have no interest in it since it's not where I am..... but generally speaking....
interest in storage like that for my expensive toy?  Sure!
but, cost is the catcher!

As a person that can't store at my house, with the HOA.....
I have to store at a comercial lot.
There are a few commercial ones around...... most are just a gravel or similar surface with a fence and an electronic access gate...... Some have security cams, etc.... although I'm not really sure if there's a huge value in that.  No covered spaces, no enclosed spaces, no connections for battery charging, no dump, no wash facilities..... But they are charging in my opinion like they have all these things
I would love to have a simple roof over mine, even with open sides...... just not available around here.
I found a guy that has a grass field, simple rolling gate with a padlock.  He's charging just south of $50/month.... and at that price point i feel that I should be getting what the other guys are selling at double that.  Just too much in my opinion.

There is a facility like you describe in central Florida.  I used it to store one of our Mobile Surgery Units in temporarily several years ago.  It was very clean and secure.  Most all of the stored vehicles were high end coaches.  They were not near capacity at any time as I recall.  They also had the advantage of being in a tourist intense area and I think many of the units stored there were used in Florida by out of state owners.

You might talk to them about their business experience.  I think it was called toy storage or something similar.

Ashley

The concept is good, when you invest the amount of money it takes to own a MH, or 5th wheel, it makes sense to store it inside.  $200.00 a month is cheap for heated and water facility all year round.  You are going to get a lot of comments how it is too much money, ignore them.....

If you can get commitments for 10 units, you probably should start to build.  Utilities (heat in winter air conditioning in summer) will take a bite out of profits.  Rent by the year not the month. 

Good luck.  I would sign up if I was near by....

Jim

Forgive me but when I think of KS and big metal buildings I can't help think of tornadoes....... then again, when you think of CA, you may think of earthquakes........ None the less, have you looked into the cost of insurance for such a venture?

Personally, I'm the sort of person that feels if I can't store my RV at home, I don't want it. I realize that there is a market for what you propose. I (as someone else mentioned) wonder about the location, location, location....  ;). If I had a $300K coach, I would certainly want to have it in a covered building. I can have a nice building built for $30K. Finance that over 20 years and I have a payment of less than $200 per month (@4%). If I pay cash and calculate that over 20 years, it's $125 per month (plus upkeep of course).

The market that you may be looking at is snowbirds from Canada that want to leave their coach somewhere in the US over the Summer. There may even be some commercial interest in this type of storage. I would hire a professional market survey company to give you a better idea. Sounds a bit risky to rely on internet forums IMO.

In Kansas City they have a number of storage facilities that are in abandoned limestone(I think) mines and they can take class A's.  Not too much worry about tornadoes then :) :)
Chip d

They have a similar concept in Yuma,AZ....http://www.yumastorage.com/

You can purchase or rent the spaces.

I parked mine in a similar facility in Raleigh NC over the winter a couple of years ago. 50 amp, heat if I needed it, 60 x 25 if I recall. Very secure. And very expensive -- I doubt a lot of folks would pay what I did, but I was on the other end of the country and wanted complete security.

AshleyRV said:
Hi - I have access to some land and as part of development we are considering building  large, luxury motorhome or RV rental storage units in South Johnson County, KS.  I am trying to determine what level of interest there might be to rent such a facility.  These units would be fully enclosed, heated (so you don't need to winterize), 30 & 50-Amp service, with either dumping stations in each bay or community dumping station and fresh water.  We haven't determined the size but we?re leaning toward 55' L x 15'W prototype.  Does anyone have any interest for a unit like this in the south Johnson County, KS area?  Any features you'd like to see?  Post or PM me.  Thanks!

There is a facility like that where I live in Arizona. It is a great idea and I would use it except that the rental cost is very high. I suppose it is reasonable considering that it comes with AC service, water and a community dump station but it is still almost $100/month more than I am presently paying. I think your monthly rent will be determinative. And, since Kansas is also hot in the summer, will you include air conditioning as well as heating? Will you provide snow removal for the winter?

Since a lot of rigs are far shorter than 55 feet you might want to advertise that users can also store their personal goods and you might want to also provide an entrance and exit so it is "pull through" or users can access their stored goods as well as their RV without moving the other.

Just some thoughts.

It seems that the development cost for what you describe would be very high which would lead to needing to charge a hefty fee for the storage. As others have said the fee determines how many people would be willing to pony up.

Personally, I see no need to have individual sewage service run to each spot, one dump station on the property would be reasonable. I realize you are speaking about luxury but for pure storage purposes 50 amp service is not needed, what is needed is electricity so that batteries can be maintained etc. if you run 30 and or 50 amp service you will want individual meters so the customer pays for what they use. I also would not think the building would need  A/C  but heat would be needed to prevent freezing tanks and plumbing. If rigs are stored plugged in a fire suppression system should also be included.

I can imagine insuring against liability and damage from freezing tanks, fire, tornados etc will be very costly.

Most storage facilities I'm familiar with, indoors and out, don't provide insurance at all. They assume you have comprehensive coverage on your motor home, so why should they provide it. They have their own insurance on the facility, but they don't cover individual units.

Just a thought.

Stan

It might be helpful to let you know what we have and our cost. We lived in a condo, so obviously couldn't keep our MH on site. We couldn't find covered storage (our preference), so had to store outside in a gated storage area with no hook ups of any kind. I believe we paid around $70.00 per mo. We have since moved to a guard-gated retirement community that has a fenced, gated storage lot within the community. It offers both outside storage ($55.00 per mo.) and covered storage with a 50 amp hook up. We pay $134.00 per mo. for this. It is not enclosed - just covered. We pay for our own electric. There is no sewer hook up nor dump on site. We are in FL, so the need for a heated, enclosed building is not necessary-for us, anyway. I doubt we would be willing to pay for that, but we do prefer covered versus outside. We really are at our max as to what we'll pay.

So, as stated, if you can determine if there is a need in your area, AND you can bring the monthly cost in for a reasonable amount, you just might be on to something.

We keep ours at a RV only facility that offers covered and enclosed spaces. http://www.classacoachstorage.com/

There is 20amp service for charging batteries and cooling the refrig, etc. Self insure. The security cameras ARE useful. One RV was bumped (cracked the fiberglass bumper cover) and they found the culprit by viewing the video.

We pay about 140 including electric ($20/mo). There is a wash area and septic drain there too.

It has MAYBE 5 empty slots out of 80.

YRMV.

Well, you certainly have the right location. Johnson County has 550,000 people and is a highly affluent county as is Miami County to its south. HOA's make it difficult to put anything on your property, be it MH, boat or storage building. For those not familiar with JOCO, it is located immediately south of KC, KS and is the economic driver of both Kansas and the entire KC metro area.

All of the commercial, open-air storage lots that I know of are at near capacity while charging $50 - $80 per month. Expect these prices to increase soon. And, for what it's worth, I've seen what boats look like after being stored for the winter in he caves - not for me. Plus, it's almost a day trip North to the caves while all the interesting places to RV in KS and MO are east, south and west.

If you are interested in selling "units" in a building as they do on 83rd street in Desoto, I think it will flop because of the price point. I inquired at he Desoto facility and many of us had a good laugh over the cost.

However, if you are interested in renting the units on a 3 - 4 month schedule I would definitely be interested. I'm sure there are many around here just like me that go south for the winter and north for the summer and still enjoy the beautiful spring and fall in this area.

Would this storage area be close to the new BNSF Logistics Park?

I wish there was something available within the metro Detroit area or within 100 miles. It would be worth it to me not to winterize our unit.

parttymer said:
Most storage facilities I'm familiar with, indoors and out, don't provide insurance at all. They assume you have comprehensive coverage on your motor home, so why should they provide it. They have their own insurance on the facility, but they don't cover individual units.

Just a thought.

Stan
The insurance that I was referring to is business insurance for structure and liability. Don't kid yourself about wavers to protect the storage facility from loss liability claims from renters. If a storage facility is offering locked, gated storage a certain amount of security is assumed. If a coach is stolen or damaged, a claim will be filed against the facility because they obviously failed to provide adequate security.  Whether the renter wins or loses his case has little consequence. Lawsuits are expensive and a renter cannot sign away his right to sue. Those wavers that a renter signs do not prevent them from suing the facility and in some cases, the renter will win regardless of anything that has been signed. One cannot sign away basic Constitutional Rights.

Even when the renter files a claim against his insurance company, the insurance company can sue to recover damages from the business.

I'm just saying that insurance for this type of operation (especially when targeting high-end clients) may be expensive. Probably not a deal breaker but I would carry several million $ in liability and property damage coverage (depending on the # of units, traffic flow, crime rate, police patrol coverage etc).

Had to find an inexpensive place in San Diego to store your RV and most charge for my 36' MH, 95.00 to 150.00 per month with no hookups at all. The covered places normally have a 6 month waiting list.

This one I found last year and for my coach it was 400.00+ a month and somethings were extra. Nice but pricy.

http://www.bigtoydepot.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom