Storing indoors - Do I need to winterize or remove all water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidibb

Hello,

We store our travel trailer indoors for the winter (we live in NH) in a facility that keeps around 50/55 degrees.

Wondering if we should "winterize".

This will be our 3rd winter storing indoors. Last year we ended up having a leak behind our toilet, which looked like it could have been a burst pipe... just a hairline crack in the contraption behind the toilet. Easily replaced, but I wanted to be sure we are doing all the right stuff to avoid having any issues when we grab it out of storage in the spring.

Granted, our toilet issue could have easily happened due to a frozen pipe PRIOR to putting it into storage as we have freezing nights in November... but trying to be pro-active.

Any advice for steps we should take prior to storing in a heated indoor facility would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!  8)

Hi neighbor.
Does the storage facility have a standby generator. I would ask them how often and for how long they loose power there. If it's virtually never, then I would not worry.
Then again, if you are still concerned, just blow the system down with air. It only takes a few minutes. When I use to do it, it took longer to set up then to actually do it.

I'm not sure how it's heated. It's a huge warehouse type of facility storing all sorts of vehicles, rv's and campers. I will check with them on their procedure for when they lose power. Good point!!

I was thinking about doing the compressed air process, but we've never done it before. I watched a few youtube videos on it and it seems pretty simple. If I understand it correctly, we would do the following (bear with me, I'm a complete newbie!!)

1. Hook up the compressor with a blowout plug to where the city water connection is on the outside of our camper
2. Open each drain, one at a time and blow until no more water comes out
3. Empty out the grey water tank

Do you think I need to do anything with the water heater?
Do you think I should put anti-freeze down the drains and in the toilet when all the water is out?
Last question (for now)... one video used an air compressor with a regulator. another video used a bicycle pump to blow the air out!! We have a Sportsmen KZ 20RBT trailer, so it's not huge or high-tech. Wondering what the simplest way will be.

heidibb said:
I'm not sure how it's heated. It's a huge warehouse type of facility storing all sorts of vehicles, rv's and campers. I will check with them on their procedure for when they lose power. Good point!!

I was thinking about doing the compressed air process, but we've never done it before. I watched a few youtube videos on it and it seems pretty simple. If I understand it correctly, we would do the following (bear with me, I'm a complete newbie!!)

1. Hook up the compressor with a blowout plug to where the city water connection is on the outside of our camper
2. Open each drain, one at a time and blow until no more water comes out
3. Empty out the grey water tank

Do you think I need to do anything with the water heater?
Do you think I should put anti-freeze down the drains and in the toilet when all the water is out?
Last question (for now)... one video used an air compressor with a regulator. another video used a bicycle pump to blow the air out!! We have a Sportsmen KZ 20RBT trailer, so it's not huge or high-tech. Wondering what the simplest way will be.

A bicycle pump will not do it. You'll need a compressor with a tank.
You would need to open each faucet too one at a time. Don't forget the toilet, outside shower, ice maker and washer lines.
You need to drain the water heater tank.  No need to bypass it when blowing down. Just make sure it's drained when you're done.
You could add pink stuff to your traps to be sure. 
When using air, just use around 30 to 40 PSI.

By the way, I'm from Farmington.

THANK YOU!
Wish us luck. I'm always so paranoid we're going to break something!! ::)

There is no way I would store it, even indoors without winterizing it.  It really doesn't take that long to do, and if they were to lose power for enough time that the building got below freezing and your water supply/tanks/drains all froze up and broke......simply put it would be a Nightmare for you.

I just winterized our camper today by draining the HW heater and blowing out the lines with 40 lbs. of compressed air.  I pour some RV antifreeze down each drain.  It takes about 1/2 gallon to do my camper.  We use our camper throughout the winter when the weather is nice so I will go thru this procedure numerous times this year.  Takes about 15 minutes when you get it down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom