Storing RV for part timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balajiramarao

We are completely new at this so pardon the questions.

Our Palomino is scheduled to be delivered in Jan/Feb.  I expect that we can plan to have it by second half of Feb after the PDI and final purchase.  I have a few questions that I need help with.

Our plans are to travel 4 months, so 8 months required for storage.  Been looking at outdoor, covered and garage options.  We live in DFW (Irving) TX.  Any suggestions on pros and cons and recommendations?

We have an option to go garaged with full hook up inside the unit - can we plug the unit in, leave refrigerator on, and trust that the heated underbelly will work so we do not have to winterize?

Our first trip is to Marble Falls, TX, Horse Shoe Bend.  The person who took our reservation was really nice and assured us that we will get a lot of help when we show up.  We are so looking forward to this trip.  Our second trip for 5 weeks in July/August is from DFW to Portland, OR and back, stopping enroute in Santa Fe, Salt Lake City, Boise, Crater Lake, Newport OR, Willamette Valley, back to Boise, SLC, Estes Part, Amarillo and home.  Any guidance on set up/break down frequency and what to expect from our Palomino Columbus?

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Regards,

i assume you mean travel  4 months per year, and that this will be 4 months all in one long trip.  Is that right?

So, that leaves the unit with a long consecutive down time.

If it were me, and money was no object I would go for the garaged storage no sun damage, keep it clean, reduced chances for leaks that may go undetected for months, etc....
covered would be my second choice
with outside my lowest preference.... even though these things are made to be weatherproof.

But regardless, if this was going to be a solid 8 months down with no occasional usage I think that I would probably just go ahead and winterize it anyway.... just in case..... and also to prevent the water in the tank, water heater, and such from getting funky.  That's a lot of down time.

Thanks blw2.

Looks like my note was not clear.  8 months downtime, but total, not all in one stretch.  We plan to use the RV 5-7 times a year, starting out for a total of 4 months, throughout the year.  But I suspect your suggestions may be similar.  We did go ahead with the covered option.  The shelter is covered on three sides and 45 feet deep, so if I end up parking it well, the shelter provides a roof that overhangs the unit at least 6 feet, so that can provide shelter from weather elements, but not dust.  Rood should have shelter except for a few hours during sunset.

Regarding winterizing, if we plan to use the unit Jan second half to March first week, I will still need to figure out if winterizing is necessary.  Let me ask the dealer as well, as I do need to understand how the heated underbelly works.  We have a 30A plug for every covered unit and plan to leave the RV plugged in.

I live in Texas just south of DFW yes you will need to winterize. You mentioned you would be covered on three sides when the temp gets below freezing you had better winterize. Winterizing is not difficult drain your main water tank your hot water heater blow out your water lines and put the pink antifreeze in your water pump and drains 30 min. job. If you want take a trip put water in and your ready to go. Great idea to leave your rig plugged in leave your frig on and it will keep your batteries charges. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damusicduo
Back
Top Bottom