Strange way to get kicked out of Walmart parking lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...my take on this is different, she and her daughter were INSIDE the RV when the card was placed! (Remember, she stepped outside and saw it on the ground.) Obviously (to me) the person placing the card was not really all that invested in having them leave - but perhaps merely "doing their job". Otherwise she/he would have knocked. Sounds fairly benign.

The other side of the coin though as I see it is something that hasn't been discussed fully... and I'm not pointing fingers or trying to make anyone feel bad, but I feel that what Wally's policy actually is needs greater understanding by all. That said, I admit I've never read it, so this is MY understanding of Walmart's policy gleaned from a variety of sources and experiences.

Camping is not allowed. Overnight parking is.  ...and as mentioned above, it's a safety stop - take a break, get some sleep, perhaps do some shopping, and be on your way.
Overnight parking is not: arrive at 6pm, jacks down, slides out, generator on, make dinner, watch TV, go to bed, wake up and leave at 8am!
Overnight parking is not: arrive at 8am, unhook the toad, go visit friends all day at their home nearby!

It's a small gift that a really big corporation has offered to all, when someone offers you a free beer - don't take two.

When parking overnight at Walmart (or anywhere else) I always request to speak to a member of management in the store and ask if I can park over night.  If granted that permission, I get their name, plus I also ask if there is any  particular place they want me to park.  Each store seems to have a different place.  Some way out front and some on the side toward the rear of the store.

And here is a useful tool for Walmart parking:  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/walmartrving/, the original Walmart RVing group that maintains the Walmart Parking List.

As a Landlord of property, I would not have approached the RV.  The legal responsibility is with "Walmart" and not with the RV.  Regardless of the Local ordinance or conditions set forth in the lease agreement it the responsibilty of the Walmart management to assure those legal issues are adhered too.  The property owner/management should and, if had any amount of professionalism, would address any violations with management as I addressed above.

Gendo said:
As a Landlord of property, I would not have approached the RV.  The legal responsibility is with "Walmart" and not with the RV.  Regardless of the Local ordinance or conditions set forth in the lease agreement it the responsibilty of the Walmart management to assure those legal issues are adhered too.  The property owner/management should and, if had any amount of professionalism, would address any violations with management as I addressed above.
This is exactly right. I am a professional (licensed) Property Manager in CA. I can tell you that I would NEVER even dream of approaching a customer of one of my lessees. The Property Manager's business is with the Lessee, not the Lessee's customer.

Having said that, if there is a local ordinance against something, placing a note on someone's vehicle may be construed as a common courtesy (I would consider it meddling). Doing it on your business card may be a different matter. If the receiver of the note took the business card/note into the business, the business could well have a grievance against the Management Co.

Since when does Walmart Lease property from an outside Management Co? My understanding is that Walmart Corp buys property (as part of their business plan) and Leases the land back to the individual stores. That may not be ALL stores but I just can't envision Walmart Leasing property from an outside source that they can't control.

singlemom7 said:
So my daughter and I are sitting at Walmart in rose dale Cali where we were told we could overnight no problem.  We stepped out of rv to check something and a business card was laying on the ground.  Since I hate litter I picked it up and it was a business card from property manager stating on back "no overnight parking per city ordinance, thx bob". No knock or anything.  We are lucky to have found card.

I'm not sure of the confusion. The business card said you couldn't camp there not overnight. You yourself said your still there and hilariously not planning in leaving for a few hours even after being warned by the city ordinance
Edit: Removed white space.

dominique21 said:
I'm not sure of the confusion. The business card said you couldn't camp there not overnight. You yourself said your still there and hilariously not planning in leaving for a few hours even after being warned by the city ordinance.
In all reality, the OP found the business card on the ground.  Nothing saying it was pointed at here.  Could have been on a tractor trailer and the driver threw it away, and the wind blew it over to here RV.  Commercial trucks is usually where these parking ordinances are pointed at anyway.  If I were to leave a business card on anyones vehicle , I'd be sure to stick it under the windshield wiper or slide it into the door opening above the handle where it could be seen.  But I've seen lots of people drive away from a parking lot with something stuck under a wiper, and who knows where it blows off at.
Edit: Removed 'white space' in quote.

From titme to time over the years, as recently as three months ago in Westminster, Colorado in the 136th Ave store, we have stayed overnight in a Walmart Parking lot. We always contact the Customer Service desk in the Walmart Store to get permission.

In those instances where we are told that there is a city ordinance (actually few places) we have been told that the ordinance does not prohibit parking for shopping. I have been told numerous times by the Walmart person to merely state that we have parked to shop in the store, if contacted by police or told that there is no overnight parking. Apparently the city ordinances cannot specify how long anyone can park to go shopping, even overnight. In fact, I have been told that if there is a problem to refer the police, or city enforcer to the store manager.

We do shop in the store every time we park in a Walmart Parking Lot and have never been told to leave.

I forgot to mention above that there have a few Walmart Stores that do not have room for RV or semi truck parking. Those are usually obvious anytime we pull into the lot. In those cases we have been politely told that we should not park there since there is not enough room. We can plainly see the truth of this when it happened.

In those few cases we have even been referred to other nearby parking that is available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom