Suggestions for winter trip from NY south then West??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AStravelers said:
We never eat at the national chain restaurants.  Prices are out of line with what the locals charge.

Can't go as far as to say "never" but yes, we also prefer eating local. Of course there has been times when we've some truly dreadful meals with that strategy, but hey-- that's all a part of it. The predictability of chain restaurants flies in the face of the unpredictability we enjoy while traveling.

Isaac-1 said:
And for hole in the wall authentic cajun food go to Suries grocery south of Kaplan  http://suires.yolasite.com/  A great bonus here is they sell frozen individual portion servings in ready to heat containers, so eat in, then take some home to fix later.  This place has some of the best home style cajun food I have ever eaten (note I live in south Louisiana), on top of that the prices are reasonable.

Does this picture look familiar? ;)

Attachments

• suires_sm.jpg
    suires_sm.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 18
As a fellow New Yorker I would ask where in NY you are. Upstate means different things to various parts of the state. As a New York city Cabbie once told me " Syracuse ain't upstate its to far up".
Suires is good place try the turtle sauce picant, as is D.I's restaurant. It also has Cajun music and dancing DI's is located outside Basile

jymbee said:
Does this picture look familiar? ;)

20 miles east of Abbeville is New Iberia.  There's a good place to eat there, too.  It's another hole-in-the-wall gem.

http://bon-creole.com/

You are just making me hungry for cajun food now, and the nearest good cajun restaurant is about 40 miles away, the local places are either fake cajun, or are only moderately good.

darsben said:
As a fellow New Yorker I would ask where in NY you are. Upstate means different things to various parts of the state. As a New York city Cabbie once told me " Syracuse ain't upstate its to far up".

Ah yes, as you no doubt know, opinions re. just where Upstate New York is vary widely.  :)

Some consider Yonkers to be "Upstate"! I tend to think of Upstate generally as areas above Newburg. Take a left at that point and you eventually get to Western NY. Continue on up to Northern NY.  But hey, I'm perfectly fine with anyone's own interpretation.

Our home is in the northern Catskill Mountain area. Can't get much more upstateish than that I think.  ::)

I fall into that ?western NY? label - 50 miles south of Rochester. We think upstate is anything north and west of Albany....

My daughter went to Wells College, North of Ithaca.  A lot of people she talked to referred to that area as Central NY.  Rochester to Buffalo was Western to them.  I always thought of Upstate and Western.

ClassyC said:
RVMomma-  I?m just south of Dansville out in the country...
My daughter was just in Dansville Hospital 2 weeks ago. We ski at Swain at least once a week, we camp at Stony Brook (site 92 is amazing and I highly recommend it!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom