Super C vs Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great thread!  We went out looking at only C's.  The sales lady convinced me to also sit in and drive a Class A (Hurricane) and I was convinced - its class A for us.  That was yesterday.  Today we test drove a Fleetwood Terra.  I couldn't believe how easy it was to drive.  I felt like I knew where I was in my lane compared to driving the C's.  I'm very easily swayed but this coach was so beautiful on the inside and out.  It wasn't the floor plan I want and we did notice it was a bit loud.  After reading this thread tho, we're going to see what there is to find in the diesel pushers.

Great thread.  I was also looking seriously at a Coachmen 3100SO until many salesmen advised me that Class A's were easier to drive and have better visibility.  Sleeping accommodations were also a consideration with grand children.  Class C's win that but a realistic assessment of when they would be able to come with us shifted us back to the A.  I also plan on many long trips where they would not come along.  I then conentrated on Quality manufacturers by reading this board and asking campers in camp grounds how they liked their units.  I currently camp with a TT.  Tiffin, Fleetwood, Newmar, and Winnibago seem to rise to the top of that list.  Not to familiar with Newmar but lots of people on this board love em.  Everyone in campgrounds seem to love their Fleetwood Bounders, even the old ones.  Looked at one at Lazy Days this weekend and fell in love with it.  (34G) I'm still a few months away from placing an order so I will spend the time figuring out which dealer to go to.  Price will be balanced with service reputation to help me there.  Florida seems to have alot of dealers.  I hope that helps.

I have a post about my four winds super C, but here is some C VS A info. I have several friends that bought class A after I bought my super C (36' bumper to bumper). Its very loud up front while driving. Its nice and cosy as are the class A's. You loose about 8 to 9' of living space because the front two seats are lower than the floor in the living section. In a class A you can turn the seats to make the cab area part of the living area. They do not appear to put the same value and quality on cabinets, doors, woodwork, and small things like shelves etc. The outside storage is much smaller and mine has no feed through storage because of the chassis. It seems to be more top heavy coming out of driveways or cornering. I have driven the class A's and at least the ones my friends have drive many times better. My Kodiak 5500 chassis gave me white knuckles bad (much sway in highway chain areas and passing big rigs). I added an expensive front end stabilizer which helps a lot, but is not a s good as the class A's. I would if I could do it over buy a few year old class A for less than my new class C and be much happier.

PancakeBill said:
Quite a jump from a Terra to a DP!  Careful, you might not be able to live without it.

Your jivving me right???? ;)

Actually we're back to the Terra.  Just waiting for the guy to call when he finds my layout.  Wish he'd hurry - we're off to Flagstaff for the weekend in the camper again.  Gotta get out of this 116 heat.  Ya know its bad when 96 sounds good. 

we live in tempe - where do you stay when you go to flag?
we're partial to kit carson, but always looking for a new place to stay in the pines.
thanks

All these posts have been very helpful.  Thanks

We will be looking around for a while.  We have enjoyed our Coachmen though.  It hasn't been bad at all.  Knock on wood. 
I wish we had done some more research and looking around but we were all knew to Rving and so excited to get at it that we just jumped on it.  Besides the Class As were really a lot more money then we wanted to invest before we knew if we would like Rving.  Not many rental options around here that we are aware of.  In fact I don't think there are any very close by. 
We will enjoy what we have and continue to look for a new one.  Probably a Class A.  So far I really like the Terra LX.  Nice layout.  Full body paint is nice.  Haven't test driven one because there was really no need to at this point.

Thanks again guys for all the input.  I really appreciate it. 

Newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance.

If you are using the MH for family vacations and are not pulling a car behind you, aren't the C's a bit better to use to go to the tourist spots rather than a large Class A? I was always told that A's were a bit harder to get around when you're not on the interstates.

No such thing as a bad question.  If you don't know it's the only way to find out.Many people here have the patience of a Saint.  LOL I not being one of them.  But then I'm old, cranky, stubborn, and hard to get along with according to the wife.  I can't dispute the truth.  I've had Class A's since the 60's and even when friends have purchased Cs  I shuttered.  They have their Place and some people like them.  Toddays prices for C's and A's are very close on the new units.  Now Sure the A's get way up there in price but new C's will probably be in the 70 to 80K bracket, Heck there are A's in that group.  A's have more room to  move around and Visability is greater in my view.  The don't appear to be as top heavy to me and seem more stable on the road.  As for maneuverability,  its just like a car,  if you have a larger car you learn to deal with it. Also when maneuvering it's easier to spot problems on the road because you sit higher.  Just me take on it.

We used to have a 24-foot Class C. Now we have a 28-foot Class A that we can take it just about anywhere. We like the Class A better as it has more room. It's great for the 3 of us (me, Mike, and Sam the labradork). If we had kids, we probably would have stuck with the Class C which, although smaller, had more sleeping places.

Getting around in a 30-foot Class C would be just about the same as getting around in a 30-foot Class A. We find the Class A easier to drive than the Class C was even though driving the C felt more like driving a van because of the van cockpit and the A is more like driving a bus. But you get used to it. We're probably talller than the C so have to watch low branches a bit more.

Try sitting in both Cs and As with floorplans you like and see which you like better. Try test driving a couple and see what you think.

And, no matter what, Enjoy.
Wendy

Thanks. I'm still about a year out from buying, just starting to do the reseach now. This site is invaluble to people like me.

wendycoke said:
We used to have a 24-foot Class C. Now we have a 28-foot Class A that we can take it just about anywhere. We like the Class A better as it has more room. It's great for the 3 of us (me, Mike, and Sam the labradork). If we had kids, we probably would have stuck with the Class C which, although smaller, had more sleeping places.

Getting around in a 30-foot Class C would be just about the same as getting around in a 30-foot Class A. We find the Class A easier to drive than the Class C was even though driving the C felt more like driving a van because of the van cockpit and the A is more like driving a bus. But you get used to it. We're probably talller than the C so have to watch low branches a bit more.

Try sitting in both Cs and As with floorplans you like and see which you like better. Try test driving a couple and see what you think.

And, no matter what, Enjoy.
Wendy

Thanks. We have 3 children, so the extra bunk for sleeping is really what is driving me towards a C. We have rented a c before, but the only A's for rent are the large disels, which is not the type of A we would be interested in. Naturally we would gravatate towards the 28 foot/gas models.  We have some time so I will see what I can do about getting familar with the Class As. Our budget will be around 24-28, so the A's in our reach would only be a few years older than the C's. I'll just keep researching on this board.

Scot1459 said:
We have 3 children, so the extra bunk for sleeping is really what is driving me towards a C.

Our prior coach was a 29 foot Pace Arrow, class A, gas. It had a bunk above the driver/passenger seat that swung down from the ceiling. During the day and when traveling it was back up at ceiling height, out of the way.

Tom said:
Our prior coach was a 29 foot Pace Arrow, class A, gas. It had a bunk above the driver/passenger seat that swung down from the ceiling. During the day and when traveling it was back up at ceiling height, out of the way.

Thanks Tom...I'll take a look at that model.

Like I said, I'm still a year away...just trying to get informed first. With our budget of $24-28, we need one slide, so the best we can do is a 96-00 C or a 95-98 A.

I, too, think maneuverability is more related to length than to chassis style. 

One other thing that can make a big difference is turning radius, however.  There can be big differences in turning radius from chassis model to chassis model.

Scot1459 said:
Thanks Tom...I'll take a look at that model.

Scott, I wasn't suggesting you look specifically at the model we had; I believe they stopped making it in the late 80's. I was merely suggesting there might be an alternative to a class C if you could find a class A with that extra bunk.

Many Class As have dinettes that turn into beds and/or sofas that pull out into beds. That could be an option. Even though you're a year out from buying, you can still have fun looking and maybe find the floorplan of your dreams.

Wendy
Branson, MO

Here's my take on A's and C's:

Had a 30' Class A for 4-1/2 years, no slide. My husband never got comfortable driving it, always said it felt like he was trying to maneuver an elephant down the road, didn't like having to worry about getting out of a parking lot he wanted to drive into without backing up. We recently traded that for a 24' Class C with a slide and we absolutely love it. He actually enjoys driving it. And it is more spacious than the A, just not as much storage. Wish we had gotten it a long time ago, would have seen alot more of the country in those 4-1/2 years.

I don't know which would be right for you but I sure like my C.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom