Super Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jedi99

Does anyone have any pros or cons regarding the use of airbags versus super springs?  Looks like super springs can be installed quite quickly, just wondering how they handle loads  and what they do for stability. :)

Keep in mind that most times "You get what you pay for".

Take a look at what the "pros" use and why.  Class 7-8 trucks have for the better part of the past thirty years have used air-bag suspension, they will provide a superior ride compared to springs, hands down.  Remember, your tow vehicle won't be towing ALL the time, but if you have springs on it, it'll THINK it's towing and in the process beat the tar out of you going down the road.

Here's a little example although it doesn't have much to do with towing.

A few years ago we had a Nissan Frontier with a "tow package".  I needed to get an Electra-Glide from Arizona to Wyoming and after loading it in the truck I noted that an 800 pound bike in the Nissan was too much for the suspension.  I then went to the auto parts store and picked up a set of over load springs which installed quite easily, problem solved, the truck handled great with the springs installed. The problem came after I unloaded the bike, the truck rode horribly.  Once I took the overload springs off and installed air bags the truck then rode great while empty as well as when hauling a heavy load.

The moral is:  Springs may be less expensive and easier to install but you lose a LOT of versatility.

I would agree with Foto.  Though I have never had overload springs, once they are on, that's it.  Until you put a load on them, they're going to be rough riding.  With my airbags (I've had them on my previous truck, and now on my new one), when the airbags are deflated (must keep minimum of 5psi in them), there is a noticeable difference in ride, but not uncomfortable by any means.  My truck rides just a little rougher than without the airbags, but after a few days, you don't even notice it anymore.

And if you get a wireless air compressor, you can sit in the cab of your truck and add or let air out as needed.  No carrying a spare compressor or air tank, and no trips to the station just to add air.  Very cool!

Hi There,

Thanks for the replies, the Super Springs that I am looking at don't change your ride at all when you are empty.  They come into effect after the truck has been loaded, maybe the overload springs that you have used are different than these ones, not unless I am missing something.  Try and google Super Springs and see what I mean.

Thanks again
Jim

Ah.  I do remember seeing those, and there were a couple of threads on them on either the Ford website, or one of the RV sites.  I can't remember.  But I don't think I ever saw any results.  I sure don't remember seeing any feedback from anyone who actually had them.  I'm afraid I can't give you much on these.  I did look, and for 2011, they're only available for Ford.  No Chevy or Dodge.  And at $543.00 (plus shipping), they're right up there with air bags.  I paid $600 for my air bags and the wireless air compressor (someone bought them but never used them).

I went on the Super Spring website and found in the application section that they do make them for Ford, GM, Dodge and Izuzu. I priced them for my application and the MSRP comes in at $399. I also talked to a fellow in my area today about them, he swears by them but I wouldn't mind another opinion if anyone else has tried them.

jedi99 said:
Thanks for the replies, the Super Springs that I am looking at don't change your ride at all when you are empty.

That's pretty much the definition of "over-load" springs.  If you have a look at your factory leaf spring suspension you will see that it already has at least one "over-load" leaf on it which won't come into contact with the spring pad on the frame until a certain amount of compression is attained.  After market "over-load" springs or in your case the Super Springs I would assume just have been designed to be significantly stiffer when they are loaded than the factory ones.

Use which ever one best suits your needs but don't lock yourself into a "Sales Pitch" by ANYONE who is motivated by changing the balance of your bank account from yours to his/hers. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom