superchip engine modifier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robincarroll

Has anyone had any experience with engine power boosters.  I have a chevy Duramax diesel and pull a 35' fifth wheel.

To me a waste of money, but everyone needs to learn for themselves  The Trailer is probably too much for the truck  and if the chip would help the pulling of what will help it stop.  JMO

If they are so good and really make a good improvement then I the manufacture  wouldn't be afraid of offering a double your money back Guarantee.

Recently I had a chat with the National Service Manager for Workhorse Custom Chassis.

He told me of a customer who applied for warranty repair, hole in a piston, he'd never seen that happen so he flew out and looked,  This guy had just about every "Engine performance enhacement" out there. Clearly the engine could not take that.

Shortly after I was speaking with a local FORD dealer rep.. He had a customer come in with a Busted engine, this customer had also installed the custom chips and such to enhance (Eliminate) performance.  Sorry no warranty there either, You broke it, you fix it.

Now.  My car. Had to take it in to replace a fuel pump... Came back with a rough idle (Misfire) did not seem to bother at speed nor when engine warmed enough.... So today (1 week later) I spoke with service center and found out what the "Won't start" diagnosis consisted of.. One step jumped off the page.  I came home. found the vacuum hose the tech had failed to re-connect, reconnected it, all good now (Who needs warranty was a 30 second job)

Of course.. Mine is not enhanced  (Though to be honest, I'd not mind trying on the car, if I can improve MILLAGE Power it has enough of)

;)The truck manufacturers are not fooling around with any type of modifcations to these power plants.  These newer diesels are so expensive to repair, that the dealerships have been instructed to accept NO modifications to the engine or drive train.  This includes the use of Low Sulfur Diesel as opposed to Ultra Low Sulfur fuel.

I asked Cummins about any modifications to our DP engine and they told me that any engine failure that directly resulted from that modification will negate any warranty.
They also stated that the power boost that occurs with the modifications can also result in transmission failures due to over stressing the tranny because of the added torque. 
I also talked to Allison about this and they echoed Cummins' reply,  if it fails due to any modifications in the engine or the tranny the warranty is void.

Usually, right about now, someone posts about the Magnason-Moss Warranty act (If I've spelled it properly) So I'm going to do it now.

It's useless

Unless you can afford some serious talent it's going to be your word against the folks who designed the engine, and when Workhorse or Allison or GM or Ford or Cummins or CAT or _______ (fill in engine or tranny maker of your choice) says "The modification caused the problem"

Can you afford the talent to prove them wrong?  I know I can't.  And I know for a fact that several companies (IN OTHER AREAS) have purchased experts to testify about their product in Federal hearings.  I've read some of the testimony, I've seen some of the "Studies" and read the reports and thus have to believe that this is a common practice in other areas.  That the Engine/Transmission makers have not also read of these things I can not believe.

Example: (In the auto field) Was the television network that filmed the exploding side saddle gas tank on a GM pickup

Example 2: (NOT PAID) was the person who did the frame by frame and spotted the work of the expert SPECIAL EFFECTS man setting off the bomb.  (NOTE: This guy was being honest, The network was suddenly known as the "Omlet Broadcasting Network" due to the egg frying in the heat of the spotlight on their faces :) )

It all boils down to common sense.  If you think you can outdo the factories and have the money to blow, then go to it.  If not  you'd be Wise to get a bigger truck or smaller Camper.  Don't think you'd get much sympathy hear if something went wrong, especially with all the forewarning.    JMO

I went down that super chip road and it caused a lot of grief.  I believe now that those engineers it Detroit aren't just twiddling their fingers, they know what they are doing.  Everyone out there who is selling this after market stuff will give you the sell job.  The easiest and cheapest way to get more performance is to get the newer 365 hp model Duramax.  Just go down to the Chevy store and ask to speak with the Duramax mechanic and get the scoop like I did.  I would have been money ahead had I researched my quest for horsepower two years ago.  Dave  By the way, I also put on the 4 inch exhaust and it is much noisier than stock.  After listening to this increased noise level after a 300 mile day, I'm almost ready for the nut house.  I have on 08 on order and will never darken the door of an aftermarket store again.

;D  All of the new equipment is computer driven...........If the manufacturers figures a way to increase mileage, they will allso develop the appropriate "flash" for the vehicle.......They may charge you for it, and that you will need to decide for yourself on whether it is worth the cost.

If you just use the ole noggin, you must come to the conclusion that all of these "intergalactic" chips  do nothing but damage your factory installed computer and the components/funtions that make the vehicle what it is.

The new Ford F250 and 350 with the 6.4 diesel have received a lot of complaints about the mileage numbers and a lot of these folks have  have spent a great deal of money and voided their warranties for what they admit are NO gains.

One other thing to consider, if I were shopping for a used truck, no matter how nice, I would never buy an owner modified truck!

robincarroll said:
Has anyone had any experience with engine power boosters.  I have a chevy Duramax diesel and pull a 35' fifth wheel.
i have a duramax and i'd stay away from any of those "power tuners".  seen horror stories using them. i did install a different intake and larger exhaust and that actually improved my mileage. the duramax should have more than enough power to tow your trailer.......

Just arrived in Rockford, ILL driving my Dodge Ram 2500, stock, powered by 5.9 Cummins diesel engine. Trip originated in SE Georgia covered 1050 miles with cruise set at 71mph throughout the trip that included some mountain driving. And I'm happy to report my mileage was 23.5 MPG hand calculated. I'm not sure the Duramax or Ford can touch that.

I know my 08 F-350 6.4 Super Duty Crew cab could not touch that!  I don't have many miles on mine yet, but the most I can do at cruise is 15-16 MPG.  Hopefully with age that will improve some.  However, I could not ask for a nicer towing vehicle for stability, comfort and peace of mind.  I think Ford has done a very nice job with this truck.

BronekR said:
Just arrived in Rockford, ILL driving my Dodge Ram 2500, stock, powered by 5.9 Cummins diesel engine. Trip originated in SE Georgia covered 1050 miles with cruise set at 71mph throughout the trip that included some mountain driving. And I'm happy to report my mileage was 23.5 MPG hand calculated. I'm not sure the Duramax or Ford can touch that.
I'd take that bet............................

All of the newer over the road trucks have engines that can be upgraded with a chip. You pay for the HP that you want. Aircraft engines are the same way. If you want more thrust, you pay for it. The Cummins engine is capable of safely producing far more HP and torque then you get stock from Dodge. That is what sets Cummins above Duramax and Powerstroke. Cummins was designed and built to be a diesel engine and can produce a lot of power. BUT, you go to a Cummins dealer not a Dodge dealer for power enhancements. They are professionals and not backyard mechanics. It is the "think they know what their doing" people that give aftermarket products a bad rap.   

GEJim said:
All of the newer over the road trucks have engines that can be upgraded with a chip. You pay for the HP that you want. Aircraft engines are the same way. If you want more thrust, you pay for it. The Cummins engine is capable of safely producing far more HP and torque then you get stock from Dodge. That is what sets Cummins above Duramax and Powerstroke. Cummins was designed and built to be a diesel engine and can produce a lot of power. BUT, you go to a Cummins dealer not a Dodge dealer for power enhancements. They are professionals and not backyard mechanics. It is the "think they know what their doing" people that give aftermarket products a bad rap.

Agree to a point... did you ever considered how the rest of the powertrain is affected? It all was design to work in sync with each other, plus some small safety margin. I don't think it is wise to upset the balance...

I'd have to have it in writing from the factory that it's covered under warranty and heck with what dealer says. If the factory engineers say its good to go, they would have offered it as an option.  You may get a few that would hold up but not many.  These guys selling the stuff sure replace your tranny or rearend once it goes  They have nothing to lose but your money.

There are several companies that make programers for trucks,cars or what ever.Superchips.hypertech.Diablo.Banks to name a few.The problem is the people who buy them do not read or follow the instructions.I have used thes for 15 years and never broke any part on any vehicle because of using a programer.And i have used them all.

Back
Top Bottom