Surge protector installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NomadinCanada

Hello, Im new to RVing. I have purchased a 28.5 ft Fifth wheel that I will park and live in. My supply is 50A and my trailer is 30A. I will install a surge protector, but where should it go? Into the 50A supply or into the Dog Bone at the 30A end?

I would it it in the 50. I was always told that the contacts inside the 50 will be in better shape than the 30 because it doesn’t get used as much

Unless you are parking it and basically taking the wheels off it goes in the trailer. if the trailer is 30 amp you either use a 30 amp surge protector or you can do some fancy wiring with a 50 in the theory you may move it to a newer 50 amp trailer later.
If you are "Taking the wheels off" (Never goign to move it so long as you own it) Then a 50 amp on the outlet makes sense. but only then. I truly like the matching the RV installed in the RV type.

I have to disagree a bit with John. If you choose a portable surge/power protector, it goes on the end nearest the power pedestal. If its a permanent install, it goes on the RV end, where the shore cord joins. The advantage of a permanent install is that it's a lot less likely to "grow legs" and walk away.

As for pedestal vs dogbone, it depends on whether you buy a 30A model protector or a 50A. Either one works, even though your RV is 30A only. If you get a 30A surge unit, it will have a 30A plug so it MUST plug into the 50/30 dogbone. If you get a 50A surge unit, then it has a 50A plug and must plug to the pedestal; your 50/30 dogbone then plugs into it. dog bone plugs into it. Buy the 50A version if you think you might someday buy another RV that has 50A shore service. If that's not likely, at least not in the foreseeable future, buy the 30A version and save a few bucks.

Note: Many 50A power pedestals have both 30A & 50A outlets. If so, you have a further choice of not using a dogbone at all. However, the 50A outlet typically is a better physical connection and usually a wiser choice.

A surge protector has a reaction time, typically measured in nanoseconds so it should be at least a couple feet away from your load. I'd put it at the pedestal.1688338909489.png

Meh, it's a no-brainer to me, given the available information.

If your power source is a 50 amp pedestal, you'll need to plug a compatible male plug into it.

If you need to connect to a 30 amp receptacle, you'll need some sort of 50A/30A adapter, readily available.

If your trailer is 30 amp, you want a 30 amp protector. You will NOT be able to plug a 30 amp protector directly into a 50 amp outlet because the plugs are completely different.

If you are plugging into a 50 amp outlet, you need a 50 to 30 dog bone adapter. Then plug your portable protector into the 30 amp end of the dog bone.

If you are hard wiring one inside your camper, it will need to be a 30 amp protector. You will still need the 50 to 30 amp dog bone adapter if you plan on plugging into the 50 amp outlet.

If doing surge only I would put it at the pedestal. If you are using the "smart ones" I would match to your unit here being a 30A as they also act as an overload protector. They also monitor your incoming quality for lo, hi voltages and some other stuff that I cant remember off the top of my head.

A pretty decent article.
Surge

Last edited:
I like to INSTALL surge protectors (not plug in but hard wired) and since your trailer is a 30 ap. that's what you hard wire en.. And get a good one. one that monitors both voltage and current and has a display (Remote on teh HW types) not just one that's got a few indicator lights.
If getting a portable well.. if you get a 50 and later get a bigger trailer.. GOOD. But if you have no plans to ever upgrade the trailer.. Go with 30.

Hello, Im new to RVing. I have purchased a 28.5 ft Fifth wheel that I will park and live in. My supply is 50A and my trailer is 30A. I will install a surge protector, but where should it go? Into the 50A supply or into the Dog Bone at the 30A end?
If the surge protector/power monitor is at the pedestal end, it protects the shore cord as well as the RV itself. If you hardwire one in at the RV end, you lose shore cord protection but that's a very, very minor loss. The advantage of the hardwire method is the surge device can't walk-away on a dark night.

You can buy a 50A surge device and plug it direct to the outlet and then plug your 30/50 dogbone into that. Or you can save a few dollars and buy a 30A surge device and put it between the 30/50 dogbone and your 30A cord. I'd pay extra for the 50A unit IF you have some idea you might upgrade to a 50A RV in the future. That way you won't have to buy a new one later. Otherwise, stick with the 30A model.

I strongly recommend you get a power monitor rather than a simple surge protector. A power monitor actively monitors voltage and frequency as well as providing protection against power surges and mis-wired outlets. The monitor costs more, but you get much better protection.

I would install it at the 50A outlet and if there is extra $$$ buy the power monitor as suggested.
As you are going to "live in", there may be future considerations you may need... another A/C unit... extra 'lectric heat... a hot tub... having the extra power is nice.

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C

5-Mode Surge Protection:
-This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-L and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3,580, 88,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.
It’s about time, who wants to stand around twiddling their thumbs waiting an extra billionth of a second for one of those inferior surge protectors to respond.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom