surge protector - worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terier

Someone brought up a good point about summer use of electric and being at the mercy of the CG pedestal.  I bit the bullet and brought a 30 amp surge protector today from CW.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279#reviews  How important is it to have in a travel trailer?  Or is it one of those things better to have and not use than to wished that I had invested in one after something happens?

Then at home I came across this one online at CW - would it provide protection?  It's a lot easier on my limited budget.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-rv-surge-protector-circuit-analyzer/35145

Thanks,
Terie

Keep the full size Surge Guard and use it faithfully. It worth it's weight in GOLD.  You are in much greater danger in the summer of getting low voltage at the pedestal. Low voltage will damage your electric appliances just as fast as over voltage. And it will happen without you knowing about it until it's too late.

It doesn't matter if you have a TT, 5ver or MH. Expensive damage can and will occur with proper protection.  The full size surge guard will automatically disconnect you from the pedestal if voltage drops too low, and won't reconnect until the voltage improves.  That little plug in device does not have the circuitry to protect you. 

Sarge

We have full size [pic#1] would not leave home without it.  Had bad experience at friends home made rv pad. Lucky to only lose microwave.  As Sarge says keep the one you have and USE it.  JM2?

Terier said:
Someone brought up a good point about summer use of electric and being at the mercy of the CG pedestal.  I bit the bullet and brought a 30 amp surge protector today from CW.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279#reviews  How important is it to have in a travel trailer?  Or is it one of those things better to have and not use than to wished that I had invested in one after something happens?
Thanks,
Terie

Terie,  You want the more expensive one.  I know it hurts but it will protect if the voltage goes either high or low, tells you that the wiring is good on the post and also does the surge protection thing.  High or low voltage is more likely than the really bad surges.  Poor wiring is also one of the bigger problems especially in older parks.

Go with the wxpensive one, you won't regret it but you may not even know it saved you when it does.  :)

The difference between the two is the continuous voltage monitoring and some additional ground checks in the more expensive model. Hard to say whether those $140 worth of extra functions will be the ones that save your butt.

These devices are like an insurance policy - they are merely an extra expense until you actually need it one day.

Thanks for the great feedback!  I will keep the one I have and feel a bit safer in the event unknown problems occurs. 

I have a few more questions:
It was suggested that I make sure the cg switch is flipped in the "Off" position before plugging in.  Now with the surge protector should I plug into it first then the pedestal and finally to the trailer?  Can it make a difference the order of plugging in?  If so, what about disconnecting?

Take care,
Terie 

Terier said:
Thanks for the great feedback!  I will keep the one I have and feel a bit safer in the event unknown problems occurs. 

I have a few more questions:
It was suggested that I make sure the cg switch is flipped in the "Off" position before plugging in.  Now with the surge protector should I plug into it first then the pedestal and finally to the trailer?  Can it make a difference the order of plugging in?  If so, what about disconnecting?

Take care,
Terie

It makes no difference what order you plug everythink in so long as you do it all before you turn on the CG breaker.  Then I believe your surge protector will monitor the quality of the line voltage for two minutes so it's satisfied it's ok to connect to your coach... and then it provides you power automatically.

Good Luck...

Rick

Make all connections before closing the CG Pedestal Circuit Breaker.

The reason for opening the Pedestal breaker before plugging is to prevent arcing if you happened to leave something on in the RV.  Arcing is injurious to the Power Plug (shortens its life, contributes to heating of the plug due to reduced connectivity or lack thereof) and more importantly possibly injurious to you.

The correct procedure is:

1. Turn off the CG Pedestal Circuit Breaker.

2. Connect Power Cord to RV, if not a permanent connection.

3. Connect Power Cord to Surge Protector.

4.  Connect Surge Protector to CG Pedestal.

5. Turn on Pedestal Circuit Breaker.

6.  Wait for Surge Protector to cycle.

Always trip the CG Pedestal Circuit Breaker before disconnecting for the same reasons stated above.

Orick said:
Interesting weewun.  Why is the order important?

It's not as long as all components are connected before applying power to the RV, i.e. turning on the breaker at the pedestal.  Similarly, turn the pedestal breaker off before disconnecting the power cable and any other devices between it and the RV.

It isn't as long as the first thing you do is trip the Pedestal Breaker and not reset it before finishing all connections. 

However , at my age, to do things in a specific order saves on thought energy and results in fewer mistakes.  I have to save my brain energy for situations not previously encountered.

I chose that order since you are at the RV to get the cord and Surge Protector so  I thought it would be fewer steps to hook to the RV first but then that would be dependant upon where you store the items.

weewun said:
However , at my age, to do things in a specific order saves on thought energy and results in fewer mistakes.  I have to save my brain energy for situations not previously encountered.

Now THAT's an explanation I can relate to!  Thanks.  :)

Good to know that I can count on information on this site.  I find it helpful in weighing the pros and cons along with knowing the best ways to do stuff.  This is the greatest RV site . :)

Take care,
T.

OK, I need a little more help if someone doesn't mind figuring this out for me.  Someone else recommended this protector over the one at CW. 
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

Is it better or does anything different?  This stuff is beyond my knowledge and is the reason I love this board.

Thanks,
Terie

The Progressive Industries unit is an excellent choice.  It not only offers surge protection but protection from mis-wired outlets and high/low voltage that can damage appliances and other electronic devices.  I prefer the hard wired models, but the portable ones offer the same protection.

I just installed one of their units in my rig last weekend. AMAZING quality. The only thing that i didn't like was the "instructions" weren't the clearest, but only in the way that.... I hooked up to my Honda whisper right after install and it wouldn't allow power thru unless I bypassed the unit with the bypass switch. Error code was P2 - open ground. It took a call to my electrician buddy to say that that is normal due to my generator not being "grounded". REALLY would have been nice if that was in the manual somewhere, but i digress. Unit works as it should, which is GREAT.

We just had a discussion on that open ground generator problem today.  It seems all the generators less than 3K (or 3.5k) have the ground and neutral separated.  The fix, I believe, is to bond the neutral and ground at the generator.  Gary Brinck has the complete instructions on the fix.

Ned said:
The Progressive Industries unit is an excellent choice.  It not only offers surge protection but protection from mis-wired outlets and high/low voltage that can damage appliances and other electronic devices.  I prefer the hard wired models, but the portable ones offer the same protection.

I did consider having one installed but not sure if it really worth the cost and effort at this point.  It could be an easy install or not so easy which would run costs up.  You can bet if I encountered a problem with theft I would invest in having it installed where it would be more protected.

What about the one from CW?  Does it not have the same protection?

If you are concerned with theft, I seen a surge protector lock which is nothing more than a molded piece of plastic that goes around the male and female plugs and you put a padlock on it. I don't remember where I seen it but it should be easy to find.

I believe the model that Camping World sells is a SurgeGuard that doesn't have the same protection that the Progressive Industries models do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom