SurgeGuard worked - now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcCarolina

We had a bad storm last evening with lightening hitting somewhere on my property. It took out my router, home alarm system and appers to have tripped SurgeGuard 34730 (30 amp). Now when I plug in the surge protector, it delays the usual 128 seconds, then there is the usual "popping" sound but the red light stays on and the delay continues indefinitely. I checked the circuit with my 50 amp surge protector (using a 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone) and it is fine. So is the inside of my 30 amp SurgeGuard fried or can I re-set it some way? Or do I just need to replace it (happy that it is only $269 and the camper would have been a lot more!).

Thanks

Replace it with a Progressive. Guaranteed for life.  Get the hardwired model or this one which is portable.  http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-PT30C-Electrical-Management/dp/B003AL23TC/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1434934507&sr=8-1&keywords=progressive+surge+protector&pebp=1434934542134&perid=1BHJX09GT9M4XJHFS60H

If the surge is beyond the capacity of the MOFs to hande the spike, they burn out (self destruct) to stilll protect the load. At that point all you can do is replace the unit.

How handy are you with electronics??  If reasonably able with a soldering iron and circuit board repair, you can usually replace the MOVs and the board will then work again.  If you are not capable, DO NOT TRY!

I have repaired many electronics devices by replacing the MOVs and a few other components that are used in these circuits.  It is not difficult but you must know what you are doing.

Just a thought,

Since you also have the 50A unit, there is no reason not to use that instead. It gives the same protection, whether the power source is 50A or 30A..

The unit is designed to sacrifice itself if needed to protect the electrical system. Call TRC (Surge Guard) and see what they say about a replacement.

My original intent was to have a 30 amp surge protector (left over from my previous camper) at home and for campgrounds with just 30 amp outlets - but I guess I'll just continue with the current set up and plug the surge protector directly when I have 50 amps available and use the adapter for 30.

Thanks-

jcCarolina

The 50A Surge Guard with an adapter actually provides better protection on a 30A outlet than the 30A model - it has more joules of surge protection (3850 vs 2450) and thus can safely handle more or larger surges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom