Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stu's right - those friction mounts wouldn't (and aren't) designed to hold a TV in that orientation.  There are flip-down mounts available - this one is only rated for up to a 23" TV though.

I do think it's very possible to custom fabricate a mount that would handle a much larger screen.

Been following this area, finally got tv switched out in our 2003 Journey DL, took out tv + metal framework, (pain in the #!@)  then designed new framework to hold 32" Jensen 12v tv
Hope pics post.

Attachments

• tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 65
  • tv2.jpg
    tv2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 54
  • tv3.jpg
    tv3.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 49
  • tv4.jpg
    tv4.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 62
I'll see if I can figure out how to post from my tablet, these pics I had too send to my email, then save to computer, that's why they were resized.
I'm technology chalenged, so bear with me....LOL

I did a conversion to LED from CRT in a 2006 Winn Adventurer 35A with maple woodwork/trim. Both front and bedroom tvs were replaced. Major issue was getting the front crt out. A little metal cutting had to be done to get it out. Once both were removed. I installed shelving in the openings adding storage area. This especially added needed storage in the bedroom area for linens and towels. I used 1/2 inch birch plywood and created two covers for the spaces from where the crts came out. These were fastened to existing woodwork with piano hinges, so the TV's could be lifted to give access to the new storage areas. I can send anyone interested some pictures.  If someone wants to discuss in greater detail they can contact me via email  [email protected]. Gary in Ohio

I tried to attach them but got an error that the files were too large. Any suggestions?

I went back and resized my original photos. I have attached 4 that illustrate my points.

Attachments

• cabinet front CRT (640x360).jpg
    cabinet front CRT (640x360).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 74
  • birch plywood cover front (640x360).jpg
    birch plywood cover front (640x360).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 60
  • LED in Front (360x640).jpg
    LED in Front (360x640).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 64
  • New LED in bedroom (360x640).jpg
    New LED in bedroom (360x640).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 73
This is a reply to mweber from earlier this month who is looking for TV mount that can be used to move the TV to a lower position.  I had the same issue when I changed the old CRT TV to a new 32 inch flat panel in my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser.  I found the following mount available from Amazon:

OmniMount PLAY20 Interactive Panel Mount

It works great.  Allows me to lower the TV By a foot or more for viewing and then is easy to move back for stowing.

If interested I could post a picture or 2 of the finished work, but it would be a few days.

Edit by staff: added link to product

Here are pictures of the install of a 32 inch flat panel TV in the front of my 2002 Suncruiser 35U.  I used the Omni Mount Play20. 

I should have taken pictures during the process, but did not. 

Basically I removed the existing 25 or 26 inch GE TV and all of the Winnebago supplied metal supports and the fiberglass surround.  I built a wood support structure including the post show in the pictures.  The post is attached at the bottom and to the existing metal frame at the top.  The post needed to be offset from the center for the mount so that the TV would swing back to the center when stowed.  This required taking careful measurements.  The wood structure is probably beefier than it needs to be, but I did not want to take any chances considering that it needs to tolerate driving conditions.  I then trimmed it with oak plywood and moldings so that it fits with existing oak cabinets.  Not a perfect match on the finish but pretty good.  I also used some foam weather stripping to cushion the TV.  The Omni Mount allows us to lower the TV as well as swivel it for viewing.

I picked a 32 inch TV because it fit perfectly between the existing cabinets.  Besides the TV, I spent about $100 on the project.  This included the mount and oak trim.  I used poplar for the structure because I had it available.  And I had all the necessary tools.

Before I started on the project, I reviewed in depth the information on this forum and found it very helpful.  I realized that each of these TV conversion projects is custom.  I gave this a lot of thought and a little bit of try and error.  I actually purchased a more conventional mount  and tried to turn it 90 degrees.  Never installed it because I realized it would not work.  Was able to return it.  I then found the Omni Mount and it works very well.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the welcome!  I find this forum to be very educational.  We have had our Suncruiser for only a few months and the information here has proved valuable.

jwleslie

flat Panel

Edit by staff: removed excess blank lines

Attachments

• TV in stowed position.jpg
    TV in stowed position.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 87
  • TV lowered for viewing.jpg
    TV lowered for viewing.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Showing Post Offset from center.jpg
    Showing Post Offset from center.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Closeup of Mount.jpg
    Closeup of Mount.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 81
Excellent!  That's a novel idea for an over the dash TV.  Poplar is an excellent secondary wood, I always keep quite a bit on hand for woodworking projects.

Thanks for the pictures. I was looking at using a 32" Insignia from Best Buy. Are you saying the mount has to swing to side in order to be raised?

Merrill

Probably only because that is where he chose to mount the post. If it was mounted in the centre of the opening it would likely drop straight down unless the arm was too long to permit this.

The mount does not have to swing side to side in order to be raised or lowered.  It will move up or down in line with the mounting post and somewhat to either side of the post.  In order to put the TV into the stowed position between the existing cabinets, I needed to locate the post away from the center line of the opening.  I could have gone either right or left - chose to go right.

Here is a link to the Omni Mount website where you can download some additional information about the Play 20.

http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/interactive/play20/

There may be other products available that work similar or even better.  But this works great for us and we are pleased. 

We also thought about placing the TV in other locations in the motorhome.  We don't particular like it to be in the front between the cabinets.  But other locations would have required a lot more effort and probably substantially more cost.  With the solution we have we can at least lower it into a more suitable viewing angle.  We have a significantly improved picture compared to the old TV and eliminated a fair amount of weight as well.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

jwleslie

I was planning on having it drop straight down, but after seeing your pictures, DW decided that your way would be better for viewing from slide.

Another question, did you have plastic surrounding original TV? I can only locate 4 screws to remove the front piece, is that all there is, do you remember?\\Thanks for your help.

Yes, there was beige colored plastic (I think actually fiberglass) surrounding the TV.  I don't remember how many screws needed to be removed.  I kind of recall that this was 2 pieces - one at the front and one covering the bottom.  There may be some descriptions in this forum about how to remove this.  I can tell you the old TV in mine was very heavy 60 - 70 lbs, so it would be good to have help since it is a tight space and somewhat awkward.  And the TV was secured with a fairly large metal bracket and good size bolts.  Not terribly difficult to remove the bracket but it is a tight space. 

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, and am interested in how you proceed.

jwleslie

Did you reinstall the courtesy light that is under the TV, works when you opened the driver door?

Mine is definitely 2 pieces, part covering bottom has several screws holding it in place.

Will take me a while to do this, especially wood working part. Not very good at that and don't have all the proper tools

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom