suspension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadrider

i have 89 bounder 34 ft and found that it bounces alot on rough roads.its had new shocks front and rear just recently buy the last owner.is this normal on big motor homes or is there a problem that should be looked at.

Well, it is common on that type of suspension and vintage of motorhome. Suspensions have improved a lot since 89, even the basic leaf spring suspension that you have. And air suspensions are much better.

Does your Bounder have a Ford or a Chevrolet chassis? The Chevy has air bags in the front and they may be leaking or improperly  inflated - that can have a major impact.

You might also look at the make and type of shock that is installed. Some are better than others.  Bilstein make an excellent shock for motorhomes and the Monroe Gas Magnum model is pretty good too, but the standard replacement shocks aren't all that great.

I'm looking to replace the shocks - front and back - on my rig. I see camping world sells the bilstsins for $436. I can get the Monroe's for about $200. Are the Bilsteins that much better? Oh, I'd like to do the replacement myself and save the cash, how hard can it be? Any tips for me>

Thanks,
Matt

Yes, the Bilsteins are worth the extra money, but shop around online for a better price.  Koni FSDs are also good.

its just 2 bolts for each shock just make sure you use the right size socket and spray some penetrading oil on the night before. they can be rusted an alot of people end up striping the bolt or nut.Saftey is another concern,jack up the rv on the frame high enough to get under and place jack stands under the frame and lower the weight onto the jack stands.the wheel dont half to be off the ground.make sure the jack stands can handle the wieght and give the rv a shake to make sure its stable.then put the jack under the axle or suspension and jack it up enough to take some of the pressure off the shock.remove the 2 bolts replace the shock and install the bolts,lower jack and move to next wheel.hope this helps

I would go for the Bilsteins or the Koni but I wouldn't attempt to save money on anything less because it would likely cost more in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just ordered the Bilsteins from shockwarehouse.com Cost about $350. Free shipping.

I'll probably not get a chance to do the installation until next week. By the way, it sounds like I don't have to take the wheel and tire of the rig to do it. Is that true?  That'd be nice. Good idea about the jack stand and the safety. Will do! I want to live to see if the new shocks help!  :D

Matt.

No you dont need to take the tire off the rig or off the ground.the shocks dont support the wieght.the jack under the axle or suspension is used to lift it a tiny bit so it takes the tension off the shock so it slides on and off easy.

Make sure the jack stands you use are rated for the extra thousands of pounds.  Most standard "auto" jack stands are not gonna do the job, and you'll probably want the extra heavy duty tripod style.  If you get a chance, take some photos during the shock replacement and post them here afterwards.  Good luck! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom