swapping duals to singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamG

So while driving downt he road I am seeing a lot more tractor trailers with the truck and trailer dualies traded out for a single huge tire on a single wheel.  Seems if the big rigs can and are doing it there must be a reason, and perhaps a reason to try it on a Class A.  Am I getting too bored on my commute or could this work?
Adam G

There are some new "Super wide" tires out there that are supposed to be as good as duals.

Alas, I'm not so sure that the new super wide tires are better, In fact I suspect that long term, they are not.

At Redmond Freightliner put a set on an FCOC member's coach for a trial. I have not heard what the results are so far.

In many thousand miles of travel, I have yet to see a single rig with the super wide (Michelin X One et al) tires; be it rv or 18-wheeler. In my opinion, a single tire failure on a dual axle on an rv would be a lot less dangerous than a super wide tire failure on the same rv with only one tire on the axle. 18-wheelers may be different due to the multiple axle configuration (4 rear axles with 2 tires on each side or 4 axles with one super wide on each side), but we have 1 dual axle (and possibly a tag axle), and a failure of a single super wide on the dual axle could have disastrous results. Look HERE for Michelin's take on it. 

Quoted from Michelin website: (Notice: I believe the last word in the first sentence should read "surface" and not "service")
Rapid Air Loss Techniques
Extensive testing has shown that a rapid air loss on an X One? tire will not compromise the stability and behavior of the vehicle. However, with one tire on each axle end, the loss of air pressure will allow the wheel and axle end to drop and possibly contact the road service.

* Do Not try to "limp home" or continue to run on a flat tire
    * Do down shift or use the trailer brake (when appropriate) to avoid tire/wheel assembly lock-up
    * Do release the brakes intermittently as you slow down to allow some rotation of the assembly

FAILURE TO DO SO MAY CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO THE TIRE, WHEEL, AXLE COMPONENTS AND VEHICLE. 

Required copyright notice:
Michelin trademarks and copyrighted materials are contained on this Site, including trade names, logos, photographs, documents, and software. You are only authorized to use this material for personal, non-commercial purposes, including downloading and printing of materials, provided this copyright permission notice is included in all such printed copies. No rights or licenses to the material or any portion thereof shall be granted or implied, and you may not modify the material in any way without the prior written permission of Michelin North America, Inc. We enforce our intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.

I see them everyday, literally several times on my commutes.  I drive from outside of KCMO to inside KCMO near some of the primary shipping points and hubs in this area, front street in KCMO.  That is what got me thinking, a year ago I didnt see that many but over the course of the past 6 months they seem to be getting more popular.  I dont have the scratch to do this myself but during a 1 hour commute you have plenty of time to study the things around you...  Good food for thought.
Adam G

My guess is that a shipper in your area is doing a trial with the super wides. Like Karl, I have traveled extensively this year, about 10k miles, coast to coast and back including  diesel fuel stops at major truck stops, and haven't yet seen a single super-wide.

I saw them on the way to work this morning. lots of them on the SoCal freeways but only on 18 wheelers. I don't think they are the right choice for an RV.

wayne

I've seen quite a few here in the Houston area also.  First time I saw one it kinda freaked me out.  But they are definitely gaining in popularity.  Must be at least something good about them.

The only ones we have noticed are on cement trucks.  Just don't see the advantage but can come up with a few disadvantages.

I can see some advantages to the trucking industry.  One large tire and wheel is probably cheaper than 2, and a failure on one tire on a set of dual axles isn't really any worse than a failure of a dual tire on the same axles.  But for RVs, with dual tires on single axles, I wouldn't even consider it and I doubt they'll build these tires to the RV needs like the Goodyear G670 RV or some other makes.  Our tire use pattern is much different from the trucking industry.

Saw a couple semi trucks yesterday equipped with the superwides.  The first one was a grain hauler, and only the trailer had them (semi tractor had the regular duals).  I was wondering if the superwides were only used for towing and not driving, but within a couple minutes I saw a tanker with them all the way back (see photos).  I suppose a super-wide wheel would be required to mount these?

Attachments

• trailertires.JPG
    trailertires.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
  • tractortires.JPG
    tractortires.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 22
scottydl said:
Saw a couple semi trucks yesterday equipped with the superwides.  The first one was a grain hauler, and only the trailer had them (semi tractor had the regular duals).  I was wondering if the superwides were only used for towing and not driving, but within a couple minutes I saw a tanker with them all the way back (see photos).  I suppose a super-wide wheel would be required to mount these?

Scotty

Not only a super wide wheel but an axle modified to mount just the one wheel. I saw the tire at the Redmond FMCA rally and the Michelin reps said that the truckers are switching because of a slightly lower cost of 1 tire vs 2, better fuel mileage and less weight which increases carrying capacity.

Bernie:

I listened in on the arrangements being made for Freightliner's pair to be mounted on a customer chassis and I thought they said they used a spacer to mount the new wheel on his current axle.

Jeff Cousins said:
I listened in on the arrangements being made for Freightliner's pair to be mounted on a customer chassis and I thought they said they used a spacer to mount the new wheel on his current axle.

Jeff

That could be considered an axle mod :D, but would the spacer be strong enough to support 10k#s? I'd be concerned if the tracking distance would be changed.

Don't know, just am pretty sure they did not change out the axles.

Back
Top Bottom