sway control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ford

I just bought a camper that's 30'it long.  I was told by the dealer that I don't need a sway control.  Everything that I have read says that I do need one.  I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel truck.  Do I need a sway control?

First of all, what form of hitch does your trailer use:  a fifth wheel unit or a conventionally hitched unit?

If your unit is a fifth wheel unit, they do not use specific anti-sway mechanisms -- and the dealer is right.

If the unit uses a conventional hitch, absolutely yes you do --- and the dealer is a liar. 

Tell us the brand and model number of your trailer.

I do not have a sway control unit on my 28 ft TT and have not needed one. Perhaps out weight distribution performs a bit of this but it is not considered a sway control device. 

Before we bought the TT, we had a Coleman pop-up and we definitely need a sway control brake on that. I tried it once without the sway bar and it almost put my Bronco in the ditch.

Thank you for all the feedback.  I bought a windjammer TT by rockwood 3006W.  The dealer installed the eaz-lift weight distribution system but no sway control.  They said that since I have a v-nosed front I would be fine, but that has nothing to do with side wind or passing semi's.  I will be calling the dealer tomorrow and fixing this.  Thanks again.

30' of TT and no weight distribution hitch....  Thinking this is going to be interesting going down an Interstate road with a semi blowing by at 80 mph and the wind hitting that trailer....  I've seen plenty of swaying TT's on the road, not pretty.  However, OP did not mention if the truck itself has an anti-sway package, I've seen Fords new capability in a video advertisement, which took care of sway without distribution arms.

Im not sure if my truck has anti sway built in.  I have a 2010 dodge ram 2500 mega cab diesel.  It has the built in braking system but not sure about sway.  I would feel a lot better if I had a sway control installed.  I am upset that the dealer told me I didn't need one.

ford said:
Im not sure if my truck has anti sway built in.  I have a 2010 dodge ram 2500 mega cab diesel.  It has the built in braking system but not sure about sway.  I would feel a lot better if I had a sway control installed.  I am upset that the dealer told me I didn't need one.
  I just took a look at the website for 'eaz-lift weight distribution system'...  I've never heard of them before, however looks like established outfit with well built product.  I am confused by the product line though, they have a separate anti-sway line, however their weight distribution line does have the arms similar to other manufactures, which in-deed does assist with anti-sway.  Hopefully someone else on the Forum has experience with these hitches and can either set your mind to rest that you have what you need or should explore better options.

ford said:

I would be upset also.  However, the woods seem to be full of know-it-all RV salesmen, so getting upset with one would be a waste of time.  :mad:

The EX lift seems to be a pretty standard spring bar WD hitch system.  Their sway control seems to be a similarly standard friction bar sway control system.  This type of control is not my favorite.  I greatly prefer a WD hitch system with integral sway control that not require constant fiddling with the adjustment once the system is installed -- a system such as the Reese Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer, or the Hensley Arrow.

All that said, a friction bar system will work for you.  Just remember to keep the unit adjusted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.  Do get a copy of those instructions and keep them.

That 3006W Windjammer has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of some 8500 lbs.  Be sure that your WD spring bars have a rated strength of at least 1200 lbs  (15% of the trailer GVWR). 

I highly recommend an electric power jack for your trailer.  It will greatly simplify and speed up your hitching up.  Get the heaviest duty one available.

Look at this way.  A friction bar sway contol bar is inexpensive. While you may not need it, having one won't hurt. It's just another item in the hitch up process. 

Wow....old thread.

Anyhoo....I tow a 30' travel trailer with a 1989 F250.  Have weight distribution and friction bar sway control.  It's rock solid, even with trucks passing on the interstate.  Zero sway.  My last trailer was a fifth wheel, and I can't tell a difference between the two.  I wouldn't dream of towing a unit this size without sway control.

Set it up correctly and have no worries. 

You said in your post that you bought the windjammer. I too am looking at them. Do you mind if I ask how you like the trailer? Would you by one again if you had to do it over, or another model or brand?

Regards
Pete

The post you are referring to was written in Feb 2012, you might get a better answer by starting a new thread. Ford, the original poster, has not been active since then so it is likely he will never see your note.

Much of the unstable swaying is caused by improper loading and tire air pressure. Pay attention to those first to avoid the swaying to begin with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyndacostelli
Back
Top Bottom