switching to flat tow and need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landtrv

I just sold my towdolly that I used to tow my VW GTI and am switching to flat towing.  I have a Fleetwood 34 B on a workhorse chassis with an allison fransmission.  I have a GMC Acadia that I am thinking of using as the dinghy.  the VW is not approved for flat towing the Acadia is.  the Acadia weighs about 4700 lbs.  I have a 5000 lb hitch on the RV will I be ok with that much weight and will the rig have enough power to pull it.  Thanks.

you wont be breaking any land speed records, but it will pull it. I would scale the whole rig and make sure you are not exceeding the GCVWR.

Make sure you have a good braking system too.

Thanks for the input.  Any body else out there pulling a 4700 lb vehicle with a workhorse chassis in a 35 ft class a

I used to pull a 4,000 with a workhorse gas powered vehicle, And I quite likely had a few hundred pounds of "Stuff" inside it, (Say 300-500) Mine is powered by an 8.1L and it's a 37'7" Class A..  Had to stop towing that ride though.. It (the ride) died of old age and had to be junked (NOT a towing issue)  New towed is 2500 pounds plus junk and weight of lube pump.

I'm towing a Honda Element with a listed curb weight of 3,587 lbs. The towing base plate, braking system, spare battery and other handy stuff carried inside probably ups the weight close to 3,800 lbs. The RV is a 1999 Winnebago 32 footer, Workhorse Chassis with a 454 cid (7.4 liter) motor. It seems to me that the RV tows the Element like it's not even there. Then again, I try to accelerate as gently as is practical in the given conditions, and leave lots of room for braking as well.

If your Class A has the 8.1 liter (496 cid) motor, you should be able to flat tow 4,700 lbs as long as you take care. Be mindful of the hitch rating at 5,000 lbs, though -- I wouldn't load up the toad with too much stuff. I also second the opinion that you should get a good proportional braking system for your toad.

You have a 5000 lb hitch but the coach GCWR may limit you to less. Depending on which Workhorse chassis you have (P30, W20, W22), it could be as little as 20,000 lbs total for coach & toad. Basically you subtract the actual weight of the coach from the GCWR and that's your max tow limit. [See the RVForum Glossary for terms like GCWR]

I tow a 2007 Acadia and its just under 5000 lb when hitched to the coach. You might want to get yours to a scale and see what it really weighs.

As for performance, you won't really notice it except for hill climbing. The 5000 lbs doesn't have much effect when just rolling level, but you have to pull it up any hill. And brake it going downhill, which is why a toad brake is a practical necessity.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You have a 5000 lb hitch but the coach GCWR may limit you to less. Depending on which Workhorse chassis you have (P30, W20, W22), it could be as little as 20,000 lbs total for coach & toad. Basically you subtract the actual weight of the coach from the GCWR and that's your max tow limit. [See the RVForum Glossary for terms like GCWR]

I tow a 2007 Acadia and its just under 5000 lb when hitched to the coach. You might want to get yours to a scale and see what it really weighs.

As for performance, you won't really notice it except for hill climbing. The 5000 lbs doesn't have much effect when just rolling level, but you have to pull it up any hill. And brake it going downhill, which is why a toad brake is a practical necessity.
I have the w 22 with the 8.1 and the Acadia is 2 wd

Edit: Moderator added missing end-quote tag

The W22 has a 4000 lb difference between the GVWR (22,000 lb max coach weight) and GCWR (26,000), so potentially your tow limit is 4000 rather than 5000. Chances are your coach doesn't weigh the full 22,000, though. Few 34 footers do.

My 2007 Acadia is a 2WD in SLE (base) trim and 2/2/3 seating. It scaled at 4960 when attached to the coach and in our normal towing trim (some gear inside but no driver). Yours may be less, depending on seat configuration and options.

Complete change of plans.  Thanks everyone for their input.  A friend of mine was buying a new car and trading in a 2007 Saturn VUE Hybrid so I bought if for good deal and will now tow this vehicle.  Only 3600 lbs and should tow easily.  any body towing  a vue

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom