Swivel Chair became difficult to turn 90 degrees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfuller201

FYI only.  No reply needed.

How to get swivel chair to move freely.

Tools
- Spray lithium white grease
- 1 inch socket
- 1/2 inch ratchet wrench

Process
- Remove 4 1/2 inch nuts to remove seat
- Disconnect 2 cables
- Remove seat (Turn seat forward, and rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise, lift off
- Remove large 1 inch nut plastic washer and steel washer
- Lift off base to expose ball bearing ring about 8 inch diameter. 
- I shot grease liberally into ring.  Could have replaced
- Reassembled and now turns with 2 fingers.

Attachments

• 100_0523.JPG
    100_0523.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_0524.JPG
    100_0524.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0525.JPG
    100_0525.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_0526.JPG
    100_0526.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 55
  • photo (2) (1).JPG
    photo (2) (1).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 50
  • photo (4) (1).JPG
    photo (4) (1).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 48
What brand of chair is it? Instructions that work for one brand, or even one model, may not be applicable to others.

In general, though, a swivel chair will have a bearing ring and they often get filled with dirt over time. Cleaning and re-lubricating them usually solves the problem.

I don't have a flexsteel chair but thank-you very much for taking the time to explain and photograph the fix. It makes a person feel good to be able to fix things instead of ordering everything new off the computer. Thanks again!

I have done the lube fix which worked for a short period and then replaced the whole 6 plus inch bearing assy....it really helped and was inexpensive..as noted above

OP motivated me to look at the right captains chair I have been fighting.  As advertised 4 nuts and a bearing nut and there it was.  Didn't even have to undo any cables.  Bearing was drier than popcorn gas but a liberal application of lithium helped but it is still rough feeling.  I'm thinking maybe it spit  some bearing balls.
    JUDWAY.... What two sources for a new bearing??  I'm assuming Flexsteel from around 1975/6. No numbers etc. available.

My Winny looks like your pictures but I was able to lube without removing the chair. Rotated it around as I sprayed the lithium in the bearing race, then rotated it to spread the lithium acoss the bearings and bearing surfaces. Mine was squeaking not really hard to turn and the lithium seems to have eliminated the squeak.
I raised the skirt and worked from the steps as I rotated the chair.

Happy Travels,

mypursuit

I just searched with "bing" and got the following results. Postage was added to get the final results of about $31, either place.

http://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1190

http://www.countrysidervinteriors.com/ACCESSORIES/swivel.kit.jpg

Hope it is helpful.

judway

Thanks Judway. I found and ordered from Countryside for $25.  I see now that Braddandhall is $15.  Oh well.  Thanks again.

The shipping was drastically different making the cost about the same when you get it. Essentially no difference in where you get it.

Back
Top Bottom