Swivel wheel dolly and legal length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
We got a golf cart and exploring ways we can take it with us. (Currently stored in Florida while we’re nomading around north for summer.) We’ve ruled out a HydraLift. Probably will get a pickup to be our toad some day and put the golf cart in its bed. But we’re not ready to replace our current toad. So we’re now considering a swivel wheel dolly.
The manufacturer says it’s considered an extension of the tow vehicle and thus avoids being considered a double tow setup. Our coach is 44’+. It seems most states have a 45’ maximum length, and 65’ maximum length including trailer.
IMG_0208.jpeg
If this is considered an extension to the tow vehicle, to my thinking, we’ll be too long. (Not sure we’ll be under the 65’ combined tv/trailer limit either, but that’ll be close.)
Does anybody have experience with these dollies or know of any legal variance/exceptions regarding them?

The other things to consider are the rear axel weight and the added tail swing. When you turn a corner that extra length behind the rear axle is going to swing far out into the opposite direction or your turn.
The manufacturer says it’s considered an extension of the tow vehicle and thus avoids being considered a double tow setup.
The term for sales talk is puffery. Have you ever heard of a salesman who suggested that you shouldn't buy what he has to sell?

We got a golf cart and exploring ways we can take it with us. (Currently stored in Florida while we’re nomading around north for summer.) We’ve ruled out a HydraLift. Probably will get a pickup to be our toad some day and put the golf cart in its bed. But we’re not ready to replace our current toad. So we’re now considering a swivel wheel dolly.
The manufacturer says it’s considered an extension of the tow vehicle and thus avoids being considered a double tow setup. Our coach is 44’+. It seems most states have a 45’ maximum length, and 65’ maximum length including trailer.
View attachment 164823
If this is considered an extension to the tow vehicle, to my thinking, we’ll be too long. (Not sure we’ll be under the 65’ combined tv/trailer limit either, but that’ll be close.)
Does anybody have experience with these dollies or know of any legal variance/exceptions regarding them?
I don't have any hands on experience with the swivel wheel dolly's but I was intrigued by the concept a year or so back and read up on them. Seemed to me to be quite practical and a neat idea. I was most interested in the swivel mechanism, it appeared to be bullet proof. They make them with a single swivel as well. Plus I love the idea of having a golf cart to putter around in and visit and they're great for hauling fishing gear and even pulling a kayak.

When i was full time, here is how I used to carry around a golf cart, along with two cars and a workshop.

My rig was 76 feet long between the DP, Stacker, and a trailer toad, (extra axle).

I never was stopped or even questioned about the length.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 22
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 22
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 22
Just an FYI, some states consider any wheel that touches the ground another "trailer". So you would be towing a set of "doubles" per the law. I looked into a dolly like that for a Harley long ago. That definition changed my mind.

The other things to consider are the rear axel weight and the added tail swing. When you turn a corner that extra length behind the rear axle is going to swing far out into the opposite direction or your turn.

The term for sales talk is puffery. Have you ever heard of a salesman who suggested that you shouldn't buy what he has to sell?

We have no concerns about weight; Rosie’s a big girl and this set-up carries most of the golf cart’s weight on the swivel wheels. And we can adjust the tag axle pressure if need be.our main concern is length.
But a serious, “THANKS!” about tailwag… It isn’t something I considered. That additional tailwag—at least 6’—will be significant!

And ‘puffery’ is why I’m asking here instead of asking the manufacturer. 😉

Last edited:
In the past I have read these are illegal in parts of Canada, something you may want to check on if Canada is in your travel plans.

Sarge W makes a valid point, I went to the mfg'ers site and their wording was " we don't [consider] the swivel wheel to be a trailer and therefore double (triple towing) shouldn't be an issue in the 22 mostly East Coast States where it's not permitted". We don't consider and shouldn't don't exactly amount to what may be the case. However the only practical difference in the swivel wheel and a cargo carrier mounted on the rear of the vehicle is it has a wheel or two wheels to support the rear of the carrier. Seems to me it's mounted as an extension of the coach and too, the automated safety hitch's being used by some to tow fifth wheels are another set of wheels on the ground which by the definition would constitute triple towing, I wonder if those are an issue. The additional weight I think might be an issue with a gasser but would be inconsequential for most DP's.

Last edited:
Assuming for the moment that it is considered part of the tow vehicle...with the weight of the dolly and the cart what is your GVWR? Your GCWR? You're probably OK, but thought I'd ask in case you were close to begin with.

Also, what speed are those dolly wheels rated at? Not sure I'd trust them to hold up to thousands of miles at 70 MPH.

The manufacturer says it’s considered an extension of the tow vehicle and thus avoids being considered a double tow setup.
That's correct, as far as it not being considered a "trailer" under tow. Overall length is a different question. It's a detachable component, not actually part of the vehicle, so it's not considered part of the vehicle length. Essentially, its a tow bar. But the overall length when going down the road is whatever it is, the combined length of every that you have hooked together. There is a set of federal length regulations that apply to the national highway system (US routes and I-numbered Interstates), and other state-level length regulations that apply to state & local highways.

In practice the overall length of private vehicles is not often checked, but the risk is yours.

I saw one with 2 motorcycles on it coming down through Canada last year with Florida plates, had obviously been to Alaska. Looked like it was holding up fine. I was amazed those little wheels could take such a brutal pounding.

The mfg'er does point out that in NY the Swivel Wheel Dolly is considered a towed vehicle. Therefore at least in NY if you've got a toad it would be triple towing and it's not permitted in that State.

I saw one with 2 motorcycles on it coming down through Canada last year with Florida plates, had obviously been to Alaska. Looked like it was holding up fine. I was amazed those little wheels could take such a brutal pounding.
Seems to me while they were at it they could have engineered it for larger diameter wheels and even as they say they've resolved the wheel flutter issue I'd be interested to know what they did.

I had the same thoughts...
Thanks all for the replies. Y’all collectively gave the info I was after and some points to consider that I hadn’t thought about. This site rocks!
The tires are 5.70X8/C. E-Trailer says there max sustained speed is 65 mph. I won’t say I never exceed 65, but I rarely go more than 60, so it’s almost never.
Right now, with the car, we come in at just a smidge over 64’. Even with this swivel wheel dolly, we’d still be shorter than Bill was with his stacker. Think I’d be willing to risk it if I stay out of NY.

The mfg'er does point out that in NY the Swivel Wheel Dolly is considered a towed vehicle. Therefore at least in NY if you've got a toad it would be triple towing and it's not permitted in that State.

It would be interesting to know if interstate reciprocity rules would allow a non-NY licensed rig with a non-NY licensed driver transit NY legally.

In my opinion the technology is sound and if the swivel wheel element doesn't articulate it could just be considered an extension of the RV with an "extra" tag axle.

It would be interesting to know if interstate reciprocity rules would allow a non-NY licensed rig with a non-NY licensed driver transit NY legally.

In my opinion the technology is sound and if the swivel wheel element doesn't articulate it could just be considered an extension of the RV with an "extra" tag axle.
Probably not. Some states allow triple trailers, but CA does not and if a commercial driver is entering CA with a triple rig he has to drop one off before crossing the border. I'll assume it stands the same for private rigs elsewhere.

I agree, I was thinking tag axle as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom