Swivel wheel dolly and legal length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be interesting to know if interstate reciprocity rules would allow a non-NY licensed rig with a non-NY licensed driver transit NY legally.

In my opinion the technology is sound and if the swivel wheel element doesn't articulate it could just be considered an extension of the RV with an "extra" tag axle.
Short answer is NO. Reciprocity applies to the validity of the driver's license and the vehicle license tags & titles, but not to the state's operating regulations for its highways. For example, you cannot exceed a state's speed, length, or weight limits because your home state has a higher one.

Because I hate absolutes I did some quick googling and at least a "few" states have a petitions system whereby one can petition for towing allowances.

Probably a snowballs chance in heck of getting a waiver for triple tow so let's call it an absolute - LOL...

The only State which has literally classified the swivelwheel dolly as a towed vehicle is NY. Begging the question, what was their reasoning. Meantime the dolly's being used to tow fivers ( automated safety hitch) is not a towed vehicle in at least Quebec, but is classified as an extension of the TV and therefore the TV. The rest is murky.

Interesting. I just saw a couple of these the other week. Seriously considering one for the back of my rig. I have no intentions of going to NY anyway. I’m sure CA may not be far behind in banning, but really have no desire to go their either.

Those small wheels look to be short lived in my opinion. Drop in some potholes around here, and those wheels will remain there.

We got a golf cart and exploring ways we can take it with us. (Currently stored in Florida while we’re nomading around north for summer.) We’ve ruled out a HydraLift. Probably will get a pickup to be our toad some day and put the golf cart in its bed. But we’re not ready to replace our current toad. So we’re now considering a swivel wheel dolly.
The manufacturer says it’s considered an extension of the tow vehicle and thus avoids being considered a double tow setup. Our coach is 44’+. It seems most states have a 45’ maximum length, and 65’ maximum length including trailer.
View attachment 164823
If this is considered an extension to the tow vehicle, to my thinking, we’ll be too long. (Not sure we’ll be under the 65’ combined tv/trailer limit either, but that’ll be close.)
Does anybody have experience with these dollies or know of any legal variance/exceptions regarding them?
Yes it is considered an extension of the MH frame, because it has 3 hitch points-bolted together.
The towing hitch on the extension is not safe though, the extension lacks the proper strength to safely control a 3,000# car being towed.
I would not attempt that unless you have deep pockets and plenty of time waiting on repairs or a wrecker.
The stress's involved when turning a corner will be greatly multiplied by the enormous tail-swing of the extension; then that will be transmitted to the cars steering, suspension and unibody.

Only your DL is good in other states but your vehicles must comply with what State your in for length/wieght etc. per our 2friends at Tx DPS
I actually saw a TT this weekend with one and a golf car. Rig was doing 55 at most on I35 in a 75 limit area. Lots of bounce. On another forum a fewyrs back was this discussion & those that had those went thru a lot of tires.
We were in this golf car delima & I tried towing a trailer behind the 5er. After 1st trip started the quest for a toyhualer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom