table top ice machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife insisted that we buy one of these things.  I wasn't especially impressed with the idea due to the fact that we full time and there's not that much extra space in the coach.
3 months later, I'm glad I listened to her.  Love having ice whenever I want  it.
We got ours at Wally-World.

Come to think of it, we got our Dish tailgater a couple of years ago because she insisted.  Darned if she wasn't right again.  How about that?

We use the counter top ice maker.  It makes ice faster than the ice maker in the gas/elect fridge.  We use quite a bit of ice. 

We make the ice in the counter top ice maker, empty the ice into 1 gallon zip lock bags and store it in the freezer.

NOTE: These ice makers don't exactly make unlimited ice.  The process is:  You add about a gallon or so of water to the ice maker.  It then makes about a half a pound to a pound of ice in about 10-15 minutes.  After about an hour to an hour and a half the ice bin fills up and ice making process stops.  The ice maker does NOT keep the ice frozen.  That is why we empty the ice into bags and put it in the freezer. 

Due to the way the ice making process works, you can't make ice while driving.  The motion of the driving keeps the water moving so the ice does not form on the freezing fingers. You might get a tiny bit of ice, but not enough to make it worth while.

We do a lot of boondocking, weeks at a time w/o elect hookups.  When we have good sun to charge our batteries we make ice for 2-4 hours and fill up about 3 one gallon zip lock bags and put them in the freezer. Keep us in ice for a few days.

Every table-top ice maker I've seen makes hollow cubes that melt almost instantly. I prefer solid cubes made the old-fashioned way.

HappyWanderer said:
Every table-top ice maker I've seen makes hollow cubes that melt almost instantly. I prefer solid cubes made the old-fashioned way.

We've got a couple of Yeti 16OZ tumbles that we use for cold drinks.  I can fill the cup with ice and water, then drive to Tucson for the day.  At 5pm, on the way home, I'll still have ice in the cup.  In fact, I usually get a bottle of water when we're doing our shopping because the ice in the cup won't melt fast enough to let me have a sip now and then, even with the outside temps above 100(f).

Years ago when the tubing split on my Ice Maker (Fridge type) I went to trays. then a friend had a Counter top unit that was too big so she got a Mni-Counter top unit and gave me the big one. I agree withe you... If I ever replace it I'll go with a mini (for obvious reasons) but I have a place to put the full size one.. IN fact I last took advantage of it between reading and typing this message :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottlp123
Back
Top Bottom