Tag Axle wheel rim orientation. Why sometimes different?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregg

I have been looking at tag axle units and noticed that sometimes the far rear wheels are sometimes orientated the same as the front rims.  Specifically looking at '08 Tiffins so did not think they offered steering rear axles in that time frame especially on 42 footers.  Anyone know why?

Attachments

• Sample1.jpg
    Sample1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 65
  • sameple2.png
    sameple2.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 67
Or just for cosmetic reasons (both axles look the same)? Or to make it simple to rotate that tire & wheel to the dually axle? Motorhome tires don't normally need rotation, but sometimes the tag tires get more wear than the other positions.

I believe Charlie has it right. The rig in the first pic the tag axle would have to be about 8" longer on each end. If you tried to flip the tag axle tire around it would stick out way past the other tires.  The reason? Maybe by moving the hub assembly further out on the tag it allowed more room underneath to fit the various chassis components.

It seems obvious to me that the axles in those pictures are different. The question is WHY did the manufacturer choose one or the other?

There might be some difference in the size of the wheel well for a reversed vs normal hub/wheel, but it has to be very small because the tire is still under and within the sidewall boundaries. The axles will be longer or shorter, but the tire & wheel are taking up the same volume of interior space regardless.

Gary RV Roamer said:
It seems obvious to me that the axles in those pictures are different. The question is WHY did the manufacturer choose one or the other?
Just read the Tiffin specs a little closer to make sure they did not offer a steerable axle which I do not see that option on the 2008 model year, but I just noticed that they offered both the Freightliner and the Spartan Chassis.  I bet that is the difference but now wonder which one is which just out of curiosity.

Freightliner provided a steerable tag for the Phaeton  42 footer in 2008. See https://www.fcccrv.com/wp-content/uploads/oem_pdfs/Tiffin/XCR0207-2008.pdf

Oddly, the 42 foot Allegro Bus did NOT include the steerable tag, at least no as standard equipment. See https://www.fcccrv.com/wp-content/uploads/oem_pdfs/Tiffin/XCR0206-2008.pdf

That could well explain why different axles were used, but still does not explain why reversed hubs/wheels are part of the axle design.  I don't think that reversing the wheels affects steerability when the steer-angle is so tiny anyway.

CORRECTION: The Phaeton tag is also non-steerable. My bad!

Well at least we know that Freightliner was the manufacturer with that tire orientation.  I had a salesman tell me once that when you see that, it is a steerable axle but found nothing within the literature, for that year, to support his statement thus the reason for my question.  After researching everything, ended up cancelling the sales contract.  The unit was a trade-in that had not arrived at the site, and when it actually arrived, the outside color was different and the inside had maple woodwork instead of cherry.  Just was not want I wanted....Bummer.  On the positive side, suppose I have learned some more information about Tiffin units.  Thanks everyone for your help. :-\

Back
Top Bottom