Taking online class and keeping the camping going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracelf

Hi all,

I am working on my Master's online and need to start another class soon, but want to find a way to balance camping weekends and keeping up with the schoolwork.  Anyone else trying to balance camping and schoolwork at the same time?  Looking for a few pointers before my next class starts in July.

As long as you have a good Hot Spot I don't see any difference between on line classes while camping or at home home. More distractions (fun) while camping so will probably require more self control. I would not depend on camp ground wifi, they are typically unreliable.

That's my biggest concern...lack of wifi.  I suppose I could travel in to a local coffee shop or something if I needed to. 

Reminds me of taking undergraduate college distance learning classes while we tent camped and before the days of public access to the internet. The only way to 'connect' was to go to a college campus closest to the campground and log on to the network and navigate (hack) my way to my college.

There are a number of.pay-as-you-go plans out there right now. See here.

Congratulations on your working so hard on your masters degree.  I am the other side of the equation--in other words I teach a couple of college classes online while on the road fulltime, living in a motorhome.  If you are going to be regularly camping on weekends (I assume you work a regular job during the week), you really need reliable internet.  I use a Verizon Jetpack, which is a mobile hotspot.  The speed is excellent, and I get a connection wherever Verizon service is available, which is almost everywhere. 

Because I need to be online at least 4 hours a day, almost every day of the week, I sometimes call ahead to verify that I will have cell phone access.  I also plan by getting stuff done ahead of time if I know cell signals may be weak in an area. (I am required to respond to student questions within 48 hours, and since I am getting paid for this, I have to be pretty responsive to students.) 

The only problem with buying the mobile hotspot was having to sign a two-year contract.  After that, you pay by the Gig, so no downloading applications or watching movies as it can get very expensive when you are paying by the Gig.

Your other option is to just get everything done ahead of time so you can enjoy your weekends, but I know that is hard to do.  Good luck on your degree!

If you're going to rely on cellular for your internet, then look into the Millenicom plans.  They have a no contract, 20GB/month plan for $70/month that uses the Verizon LTE network.

I use a Virgin Mobile 3g no contract modem. YOu can buy a month at a time, and not be obligated to renew. The price of the 3g modem (not 4g) has come way down in price.  Mine works most everywhere the past 3 years of me traveling fulltime.

It's fast enough for your schooling.

Hi Tracelf -  Like JudyJB, I teach online, and like you, I camp on weekends.

I am on a Sakai platform, and I can do a surprising amount of online classwork on my smartphone. So, explore that option before you camp. Even if you only keep up with updates, that is a plus.

I am reluctant to invest in a mobile hotspot, so I always camp with wifi in mind. If it is a state park with a lodge, there usually is wifi. The last state park I camped in had wifi at the lodge, the marina, and at the little check-in booth at the entrance, which was a plus since I could sit outside and grade.

If you can check out the campground ahead of time, that is an advantage. I went by car to Kanawha State Forest campground this week to look at it for an end of June trip. No wifi, and so deep in the forest that I lost GPS, yet it was 10 miles outside of the biggest city in WV. So, better to have scoped it out ahead of time than to have assumed and been in a bind. I will still camp there, but not while I am in the middle of an online class.

Good luck to you, and let us know when you graduate. What is your program?

I'm working on my MBA Chanda.... only 4 classes left.. .hooray~~

Thanks so much for the information everyone.  Best case I would like to do as much as possible during the week, but I travel quite a bit for work and that may not always be possible.  We did setup a hotspot for my Ipad last trip but cell phone coverage was so weak in the area it was hit and miss.  Luckily I can do quite a bit offline..and in a pinch I'll wander the campsite and see if I can get better coverage closer to the lodge.  That's a great point...it didn't really occur to me to move closer to the source. :)

This is the tiny USB stick I use with Virgin Mobile. No contract, no recurring fees. You just pay for what you need.  You don't have to pay every month if you are not using it every month. I have used this for 3 years in many far flung places. Their map of coverage has been pretty darn accurate, though twice I did get service where they said I would not.

I am using the 3g, not the 4g, because I tend to travel to far flung places where 4g isn't available so I've been plenty happy with 3g. I upload and download a ton of stuff and it seems to putter along nicely. They also make antennas specifically for this modem, though I haven't bought one.

You can order the USB stick through the mail. When it is delivered, you plug it into your computer and they take you to their sign up page where you can buy internet.  When I am in parks that provide free Wifi I let my Virgin Mobile lapse, then when I move again, I am able to plug it in, pay the fee and I am back online in seconds.

It's simple. I like that. You can also move it from computer to computer without issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00316WHJ2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00316WHJ2&linkCode=as2&tag=motorhomeandrvstore-20

Attachments

• virgin mobile usb stick.jpg
    virgin mobile usb stick.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom