Tankless Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as wasting water, a conventional water heater comes on even when no water is being used when the tank temp drops, like during the night.
Edit: rereading your post, I see you are referring to a home water heater. Even my house one is well insulated and I do not think it cycles on very often while just sitting.

You are assuming that people leave their (RV) water heaters on all the time. I switch my Atwood on about 15 minutes before I plan to get in the shower and by then the water is warm enough to use only the hot water side for the shower. When it gets full hot, I shut it off and it stays hot all night. I have indicator light switches to remind me the heater is on, so I don't forget to switch it off.

Charles

Attachments

• Wtr Htr sw move final result.jpg
    Wtr Htr sw move final result.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 4
I went to drain my Suburban water heater which was new this past June, removed the plug and the anode rod stayed in the water heater, tried to turn the drain plug in a few of the internal threads of it back onto the anode rod with no avail. Did the anode rod break away from the drain plug or was it supposed to turn out at the same time? Emailed Suburban and they were basically a waste of time because they couldn't understand what I meant

Don, I did unscrew the plug with the 1 1 /16" socket like I would normally do but that's all that came away from the heater, the anode is still sitting in there, did not come out attached to the 3/4" npt plug, must have broke away from it. The inside of the plug has internal threads as does the anode rod on the od.

Don, I did unscrew the plug with the 1 1 /16" socket like I would normally do but that's all that came away from the heater, the anode is still sitting in there, did not come out attached to the 3/4" npt plug, must have broke away from it. The inside of the plug has internal threads as does the anode rod on the od.
When was the last time it was replaced? It must have been all eaten up.

Is it possible to get a new rod bolted in or do you have to first get the old one out? If broken inside, I doubt if it will hurt anything.

-Don- 79765

When was the last time it was replaced? It must have been all eaten up.

Is it possible to get a new rod bolted in or do you have to first get the old one out? If broken inside, I doubt if it will hurt anything.

-Don- 79765
He said it was new this past June, so there should be little, if any, corrosion.

Brand new this past June, I'll take a pic and post it. I was going to try and grab it with needle nose pliers but was concerned I'd mess the threads up. Evidently that anode rod threads into the 3/4" plug

20231106_202616_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20231106_202527_resized.jpg
    20231106_202527_resized.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231106_202559_resized.jpg
    20231106_202559_resized.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231106_202554_resized.jpg
    20231106_202554_resized.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 15
You have a problem that is totally new to me as all anodes for RV water heaters that I have ever seen, the anode was permanently attached to the drain plug and came out with it. Is the anode still attached into the opening where the drain plug came out or is it loose inside?

You have a problem that is totally new to me as all anodes for RV water heaters that I have ever seen, the anode was permanently attached to the drain plug and came out with it. Is the anode still attached into the opening where the drain plug came out or is it loose inside?
Anode is sitting in the hole, didn't try to do anything yet but, have to get it out to winterize it. I'm thinking of grinding the threads off of the plug and threading it back onto the anode a try pulling it out that way

I'm betting the tiny center rod broke and it is just stuck in there. You must have had some very acidic water to do that!

Needle nose vise grips and some wiggling?

Charles
Yes, I see that tiny rod broken off, our water is not acidic, poor QC the thing is 4 months in use

for some strange reason I took out the plug again and it (anode) came out with it tonight. Ordered some new ones to keep on hand 3 for 19 dollars on Amazon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom