Telsa lays off 14,000!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tesla is now in a bit of trouble. 14K people being laid off (worldwide).

-Don- Reno, NV
No worries, anyday now people will realize the poor resell value of EV's and the pita factor are exponentially outweighed by the novelty factor. Soon there will be a waiting list of anxious ice pickup truck owners waiting to trade for a $100,000 truck that will tow a trailer 90 miles.

How many light bulbs did Thomas Edison attempt to make and failed at before he had his one success that changed the world.

Again, my opinion, EV's are good run around cars if you want transportation traveling to and from work every day, if you life in a city or town, and have a second vehicle for "heavy lifting" driving. I think of electric vehicles as glorified golf carts. Golf carts are great in campgrounds, gold courses, and sometimes running around at events, like fairs and such.

But to use an EV as one's primary and only mode of transportation is a personal disaster waiting to happen. It sounds like, people are finally waking up. The industry isn't do as great as our gooberment was hoping for.....

I think it is more likely this is a general economy issue, people are prioritizing paying for food and shelter over transportation

Tesla has laid off 5 to 10 percent of its work force 5 times in the last 8 years. Seems to work pretty good for them.

How many light bulbs did Thomas Edison attempt to make and failed at before he had his one success that changed the world.

Again, my opinion, EV's are good run around cars if you want transportation traveling to and from work every day, if you life in a city or town, and have a second vehicle for "heavy lifting" driving. I think of electric vehicles as glorified golf carts. Golf carts are great in campgrounds, gold courses, and sometimes running around at events, like fairs and such.

But to use an EV as one's primary and only mode of transportation is a personal disaster waiting to happen. It sounds like, people are finally waking up. The industry isn't do as great as our gooberment was hoping for.....
Now I’m curious. Why wouldn’t a tesla work as a primary mode of transportation?

What disaster do you think as been awaiting me these last 9 years?

EV sales continue to grow world wide.

We need an EV Section.

Chet Parks bought a Tesla S model year before he died, I went with him to pick it up, he was quite pleased with it. Had to buy an enclosed trailer to take it behind the motorhome. We installed a trailer hitch on it so he could move the trailer around at the campground after unloading. Unfortunately he passed after an infection got him after an operation.

The S model was pretty good for getting around a bit. Dang thing was a rocket, as he liked to demonstrate to me. He touted it so much I bought a Tesla hood logo and put it on my golf cart!

Anyway, with all the EV threads popping up, an EV section is in order. Don Tom and Skookum should moderate.

OOPPS. just now realized it is a new section. Never mind.

Anyway, with all the EV threads popping up, an EV section is in order. Don Tom and Skookum Viajeros should moderate.

I have no patience for fools and would end up deleting a lot of posts including anything that was even remotely political. 🤣 Viajeros seems to have much more patience than I do.

I'm not surprised in the least at the layoffs. I think we can all empathize with the workers who are now without jobs. I've been part of a reduction in force as well in the past, and there's nothing fun about it. Elon finds himself under fire again as the layoffs appear to be improperly conducted, again. The guy is a clown.

ICE pickup trucks have taken a big sales hit. Anything expensive has. With interest rates for a new vehicle at 5,6,7% it's not surprising that vehicle sales in the 40k+ range have really slumped. Tesla falls squarely into that, AND, ev buyers are a smaller percentage of the overall market.

The economy is in an interesting spot. If you have money, it's great, chugging along just fine. No, people are not deciding to eat OR buy a $50k car. We've reached a point where the middle class has become so small that inflation exacerbates the situation of have/have-nots so bad that we now have two parallel economies.

Back in the mid 90’s we lived in San Antonio, TX (Lackland AFB). We had a Chevy diesel p/u (CPS). We got a call one morning that my father in law had passed away. I made requisite notifications to my superiors I would be going to Florida. We loaded the truck and headed south on 35 towards Houston and Louisiana border. Well, there was huge ice storm the night before and once we got on the edge of town all traffic stopped. 35 was closed south to Houston. We had to take back roads to the TX/LA border. As soon as we got to East Houston there wasn’t any power. We did not find power until we hit East Louisiana. We were in desperate need of fuel but everything was dark. I think the gist of my story is our ICE vehicle was almost stranded due to ice. So it can happen to any mode of transportation.

Looks to me like our EV board serves mostly as a debate arena for those who are avidly pro or anti EV. The same tired arguments get trotted out at each mention of an EV.
Isn’t that the truth. But what I have noticed is the anti EV crowd wants to tell the EV owners all the downsides of owning such without any experience with the product. We do not own an EV so I defer to those that do to enlighten me on the pros and cons of EV ownership.

Oldgator, I remember that ice storm, it was the last time we had a significant ice storm in western Louisiana. An old friend of mine and his girlfriend were driving through the area as they were on the way from Waco to her families house in south Louisiana, and ended up spending a couple of days here about 75 miles short of their destination when the road conditions got too bad to drive.

Really not much different than people relying on a cell phone as their primary phone. A dead battery in a cell phone makes it useless. Not to mention the fragility of the phones. Drop it and it becomes useless. Then it's time to look for replacement, FAST.
Also, if you need to call 911, chances of getting the local 911 center is questionable. The cell tower you connect to may be in a different county or state depending on your location. My neighbor had a life threatening situation, called 911 and was connected to a neighboring county. They had to transfer her to the correct area.
While traveling you really don't have a choice, but at home a landline will pinpoint your location.

Tesla has reduced there work force by 5 to 10 percent 5 times in the last 8 years. This is normal practice for them.
I saw you put that but I am not aware of how many employees they have so not sure if this is more than the standard 5 to 10 percent or not. I also noticed it said worldwide so not sure how many that is in the U.S.

Really not much different than people relying on a cell phone as their primary phone. A dead battery in a cell phone makes it useless. Not to mention the fragility of the phones. Drop it and it becomes useless. Then it's time to look for replacement, FAST.
Also, if you need to call 911, chances of getting the local 911 center is questionable. The cell tower you connect to may be in a different county or state depending on your location. My neighbor had a life threatening situation, called 911 and was connected to a neighboring county. They had to transfer her to the correct area.
While traveling you really don't have a choice, but at home a landline will pinpoint your location.
Most people don’t know if you can’t make or receive a phone call or text message for over 30 minutes you’ll die. That’s why people were falling dead on the sidewalks before cell phones.

I saw you put that but I am not aware of how many employees they have so not sure if this is more than the standard 5 to 10 percent or not. I also noticed it said worldwide so not sure how many that is in the U.S.
No idea. Typically within a year of laying off a large amount of people, within one year their work force is bigger than before they did the layoff. Seems to work for them. They get rid of the bottom 5 to 10 percent of performers. Section heads and department heads especially.

There are apparently job postings appearing on the recruiting boards so they are already hiring. Especially the Germany and Texas factories.

No idea. Typically within a year of laying off a large amount of people, within one year their work force is bigger than before they did the layoff. Seems to work for them. They get rid of the bottom 5 to 10 percent of performers. Section heads and department heads especially.

There are apparently job postings appearing on the recruiting boards so they are already hiring. Especially the Germany and Texas factories.
Mass layoffs can certainly be used to get rid of dead weight or employees that have been there a while and that are too costly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevieg0205
Back
Top Bottom