Tesla Semi Ready To Replace Diesel Trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about an Electric RV but.. It still has a fuel tank and say 10,000 watt ONAN generator.

Power for your life when boondocking.. Range extender when driving.

Not sure but due to some of the advanced technology used in the better EV's today I suspect that would be way better than straight diesel power.

I think one Tesla semi at PepsiCo that went 1000 mi on a single charge and “Tesla Semi Ready To Replace Diesel Trucks” is kinda like I rode my fat bike bike 25 miles yesterday now I’m ready to win the Tour de France.

Yeah, it’s a good proof of concept. Maybe it’s even ready to move to mass production for those who desire it.

I see struggles with adoption, affordability, charging, and repair. But for the companies who really want them, I can see how they’d make EV semis work for them.

It seems like the tractors would make good candidates for hostling at ports, and where goods are being moved between fixed points. Maybe that’s why beverage distribution/ Pepsi is exploring the opportunity.

Lord knows Elon needs a win this week…

I talked with the Amazon delivery guy here who was driving an EV truck and he said he loved it. I think the EV semi truck idea is perfect for short haul, especially LTL and the product vendors like Frito Lay, bread trks, and the like.

I talked with the Amazon delivery guy here who was driving an EV truck and he said he loved it. I think the EV semi truck idea is perfect for short haul, especially LTL and the product vendors like Frito Lay, bread trks, and the like.
USPS vehicles, vehicles on military bases, all city, county, state vehicles.

So EV RV’s shouldn’t be too far behind.
They are already being made, but nothing I would want--yet. I would want a 500-mile realistic freeway range and a decent charging infrastructure before I would consider an E-RV.

We're already there for cars, IMO, but for trucks large rigs we have a ways to go other than for a few routes for the Tesla Semi.

-Don- Reno, NV

They are already being made, but nothing I would want--yet. I would want a 500-mile realistic freeway range and a decent charging infrastructure before I would consider an E-RV.

We're already there for cars, IMO, but for trucks large rigs we have a ways to go other than for a few routes for the Tesla Semi.

-Don- Reno, NV

So I was at the dentist yesterday getting my teeth cleaned. Doc does it himself, like the olden days. He drives a Tesla and was telling me all about Lightship EV travel trailers, with his hands in my mouth, of course. Not much of a conversation, to be honest, but those trailers are quite fascinating.

So I was at the dentist yesterday getting my teeth cleaned. Doc does it himself, like the olden days. He drives a Tesla and was telling me all about Lightship EV travel trailers, with his hands in my mouth, of course. Not much of a conversation, to be honest, but those trailers are quite fascinating.
What keeps its battery charged up?

-Don- Reno, NV

On the road? DC fast charger like everything else. Maybe it can be plugged into an RV pedestal, not sure.
IOW, all it is doing is putting another very heavy battery in the toad instead of extra battery in the car. The toad is not where you want the extra weight.

I am not so sure if this is a good idea or not. But it is one way to get more range after already having the longest-range electric vehicle one can get.

-Don- Reno, NV

. Maybe it can be plugged into an RV pedestal, not sure.
AFAIK, all EV chargers can accept any voltage from 90 to around 265 VAC input. This is true of all seven of my EVs and all others I know about.

So yeah, any of the RV pedestals should work as long as you don't go over the current rating.

Typical EV charger shown here. See the manual for the 6.6 KW charger. Some 12 KW EVs use two of such.

-Don- Reno, NV

IOW, all it is doing is putting another very heavy battery in the toad instead of extra battery in the car. The toad is not where you want the extra weight.

I am not so sure if this is a good idea or not. But it is one way to get more range after already having the longest-range electric vehicle one can get.

-Don- Reno, NV

The trailer has a battery and drive motor. The idea is to preserve the advertised range of the car while towing. But, when stopping to charge you'd have to charge both the car and trailer.

I'm not quite sure how a drive axle on the trailer would work, or if it's just a motor that assists with braking and recaptures energy.

What i would like to see as an interim solution until battery technology is 10x better, is a hybrid gas engine truck with electric motor to assist acceleration and to put energy back into the batteries when braking or as a downhill assist. there is a lot of wasted energy braking, it could be harvested. this of course on a 3/4 ton truck, not the rather impractical battery trucks.

What i would like to see as an interim solution until battery technology is 10x better, is a hybrid gas engine truck with electric motor to assist acceleration and to put energy back into the batteries when braking or as a downhill assist. there is a lot of wasted energy braking, it could be harvested. this of course on a 3/4 ton truck, not the rather impractical battery trucks.
This is exactly what the Edison Truck does, just a little larger than a 3/4 ton pickup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom