Texas - New Mexico - Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChinMusic

We will be leaving the Dallas area in early February. We are open to suggestions on what corridor to take or nice parks.

We are totally free to go wherever.

Early Feb you will likely see ice and snow in much of New Mexico and Arizona due to the states generally being at higher elevation than Dallas. For Comparison Dallas is at about 500 ft elevation, Flagstaff AZ is at 7,000 ft and Sante Fe, NM is at 7,200 ft, even Phoenix, AZ is at 1,100

Early Feb you will likely see ice and snow in much of New Mexico and Arizona due to the states generally being at higher elevation than Dallas. For Comparison Dallas is at about 500 ft elevation, Flagstaff AZ is at 7,000 ft and Sante Fe, NM is at 7,200 ft, even Phoenix, AZ is at 1,100
We’re not from Dallas, just in the area at that time. We are snowbirding from Alaska in a Class A. Unfortunately our Alaska weather has been chasing us til a couple days ago.

We will visit the southern tip of NV before finishing our trip (storage) in the Salt Lake area in early March. Should get back to Alaska for the tail end of snowmachine season.

Go west on i20 to I10 Through Tucson to the CASA GRANDE area. Many nice parks in the area, I recommend Fiesta Grande but make your choice. Casa Grande about 40 minutes from Phoenix area and 60 from Tucson. No snow
20 to 10 makes sense. I guess 40 is too unpredictable in Feb

We will be leaving the Dallas area in early February. We are open to suggestions on what corridor to take or nice parks.

We are totally free to go wherever.
Stay south. Have you been to Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument before? No hooks ups and in Feb you will need a reservation. Everything needed at a central location.

-Don- Auburn, CA

We’re not from Dallas, just in the area at that time. We are snowbirding from Alaska in a Class A. Unfortunately our Alaska weather has been chasing us til a couple days ago.

We will visit the southern tip of NV before finishing our trip (storage) in the Salt Lake area in early March. Should get back to Alaska for the tail end of snowmachine season.
We are in southern tip of Nevada have you been to Boulder Beach campground? If you come up way of Benson, Az lots ofs RV parks and Kartchner State Park is awesome!

To avoid the I-20 truck traffic and keep from going south to go north. Pick up US 380 just north of Dallas in Denton, it goes all the way to I-25 near Socorro, NM. From there to Phoenix you can watch the weather and decide on US-60 or drop down to Hatch, NM and cut over to I-10 there. OR use US 180 in Weatherford west of Fort Worth to US 62 in Hobbs and follow it to I-10 in El Paso. Most of the time those routes will not have freezing weather but once in while I-10 is worst than I-40. So watch your forecast. Blowing dust is also a factor on I-10 west of Lordsburg and that can close the interstate for hours.

This time of year is great for visiting White Sands Nat. monument, Carlsbad Caverns, the Very Large Array, and various state parks along or near your route choices in southern NM and AZ. You might even want to stop into Polomas, Mexico near Poncho Villa state park in Columbus, NM to shop or get dental work done.

I suggest you use NMRoads - The official road advisory system for the State of New Mexico for "road conditions". They change quite quickly and NM is a bit slow at "salting" and plowing roads. And the locals are terrible drivers on snowy/icy roads. The roads in the mountains tend to close down first. Just watch the weather and be prepared to stop for a day or two if a storm looks like it is about to hit. I also suggest that you run NM roads in the daylight. They are in terrible shape.

To avoid the I-20 truck traffic and keep from going south to go north. Pick up US 380 just north of Dallas in Denton, it goes all the way to I-25 near Socorro, NM. From there to Phoenix you can watch the weather and decide on US-60 or drop down to Hatch, NM and cut over to I-10 there. OR use US 180 in Weatherford west of Fort Worth to US 62 in Hobbs and follow it to I-10 in El Paso. Most of the time those routes will not have freezing weather but once in while I-10 is worst than I-40. So watch your forecast. Blowing dust is also a factor on I-10 west of Lordsburg and that can close the interstate for hours.
I guess I should have been more specific. I’m actually leaving from Athens, TX and not Dallas.

If I was that close to Fredericksburg I would drop down and stop there the first day. Good German food and interesting area. Cut across 290 till it meets I10 and maybe stay in Fort Stockton then Deming (3-4 good wineries) after that depends on final destination
I’m actually at the Navy Base in Corpus Christi right now. Will be in El Campo to see Ray Wylie Hubbard on Saturday.

To bad you are not there for a couple of weeks as Asleep at the Wheel is due in Corpus Christi the beginning of February. But from El Campo you should be able to make one of the CG's at Junction, TX. Then maybe the Fort Bliss Campground near El Paso, I am assuming you are retired military if so then Boneyard Vista in Tucson might be worth some time to explore the area. IE Tombstone, Old Tucson. The only problem may be the big rock and Gem show that starts soon

Big Bend National Park is a wonderful place to explore and I expect the State Park is too. We only had a quick look.

Terlingua has lots of places to stay.

Highly recommend it.

We've run US 380 across Texas. I like it. It merges with US 60 around San Antonio/Socorro NM. 380 runs through Roswell, NM, if the Aliens myth appeals to you.
We've also run US 60 all the way across. There is Clovis, New Mexico, and Fort Sumner, With Billy Bonney's grave, if you're a history buff. When you get to Show Low, you probably want to head northward toward Holbrook. There's not much fun in driving through the Phoenix Megopolis.

Last edited:
If you are stopping at Military Campgrounds. There are two in Del Rio. One on the air base and one at Lake
Amistad. Besides Ft Bliss, Whites Sands Missile Range, and Holloman AFB have campgrounds also. Dyes AFB in San Angelo is another option if you are going by there. I would avoid San Antonio of at all possible and use 44-83-90 at Uvalde. Tx secondary roads are just as fast as the freeway for RV's, in most instances.

Dyes AFB in San Angelo is another option if you are going by there.
Unless they've moved it recently, Dyess AFB is next to Abilene, not San Angelo. I was able to see B-47s, among other things, during an open house there when I was a kid in 5th or 6th grade (mid-50s).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxL
Back
Top Bottom