Texas With the Stocks - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DAY 12?March 24?Port Isabel
On a scale of 1-10, today was an 11.  We started out at the Visitors? Center, where they had this lovely sand castle in the foyer (Picture 1), as well as good information.  Then we went to the South Padre Island Birding and Nature Center in South Padre Island, an amazing wildlife refuge.  Located right on the Laguna Madre Bay and its mudflats, it is a favorite feeding spot for migrating birds.  We thought we had seen most of the shorebirds over the past few days, but we saw so many here we hadn?t seen before.
As we exited the Visitors? Center, we saw black-bellied plovers feeding (Picture 2).  They don?t have black bellies now because they have their winter plumage.  They were very busy hopping from place to place with a run-stop-run pattern than reminded me of the children?s game Red Light, Green Light.
The high-stepping curlew (Picture 3) was also very active.    We looked further out in the water (the shore extends out in a flat plateau for a long way) and saw the king of the bay, a Great Blue Heron (Picture 4).  We?ve seen lots of these before, but this one had an ?attitude?; no one came into his territory?he was the Mohammed Ali.  He actually walked with a swagger, something we?ve never seen them do before.
The water was full of these mud catfish (Picture 5).  We could see them easily, so they must have been the main course for many of these birds.
The snowy egret (Picture 6) was also very actively fishing.  I admire their graceful feathers that remind me of a delicate ballerina.
The tri-color heron (Picture 7) played Hide ?n Seek with us, in and out of the grass.  He will become more colorful as it gets closer to mating season.
The Great Blue Heron (Picture 8) watched over the ibises.  They were out in the water, but he just stood guard.
The Ibis (Picture 9) was practicing his courting dance.  However, the ladies weren?t interested.
There was a pretty tricolor heron (Picture 10) feeding in the grass.  Is that a bunny in the background?
The reddish egret  (Picture 11) is not common.  We were surprised to see him sitting on this signpost watching us.
The colors on the mallard (Picture 12) were vivid, and he knew he was handsome!
The blue on the wing feathers of the blue-winged teal irridesced in the sunlight (Picture 13).
Three was too much company as the moor hen (Picture 14 with the orange beak) horned in on the blue-winged teal?s date.
Dean doesn?t agree, but I think this guy with the blue beak (Picture 15) is a ruddy duck.  So many of these birds don?t have the right colors yet, but the expert birders tell us that this will change, and the ruddy duck is the only one in my book with a blue beak.
Sitting in the midst of lots of teals, this black-necked stilt stood out (Picture 16)
The laughing gull (Picture 17) didn?t make any sounds.  I wanted to hear him make his laughing sound.
We have seen roseate spoonbills before, but these were much pinker, probably because of what they eat (Picture 18).  Dean out-waited them, and they did come out from the tall grass eventually.
These two black-bellied whistling ducks (Picture 19) were devoted to each other.  We were told that when they fly, they make a whistling sound.  Earlier, we had been told that they were really silly-looking because even though they have webbed feet, they can be seen perching in trees.
These cattle egrets (Picture 20) look like they are wearing fluffy tams on their heads.  Two of them looked like they were arguing with each other.
The black-necked stilt (Picture 21) had great balance.  He stayed on just that one leg for the whole time we watched him.  I?d have fallen over in 10 seconds!
Snowy egrets (Picture 22) are one of my favorite birds because they are so delicate looking.  It is rare to see one out of the water, and this one posed!
We will definitely come back to Texas next year, just to visit this center again.  It was AWESOME!

Miles Traveled: 0
Temperature:  High of 81?, with rain in the early morning
Stayed at Long Island Village

Attachments

• IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 15
Day 12, page 2,

More photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
Day 12 page 3,

More photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 10
Linda,

I really enjoy your posts with all the pictures! Don't you just love Texas? Certainly one of my favorite States - specially the Hill Country and the Gulf Coast area. Big Bend is a must-see as well, as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy your trip, you seem to be a keen bird watcher.

Mariekie

What a neat variety of birds!  Dean must have the patience of Job....

ArdraF

Day 13?March 24?Port Isabel
This trip has either been awesome or awful?we don?t seem to find any middle ground.  Yesterday was heavenly.  Today was?
Today we went to Sabal Palm Audubon Center & Sanctuary in Brownsville.  Unfortunately, it has been closed because the border fence runs through the middle of it now.  We learned that at times the fence is 5 or 6 miles from the border.
We thought this would give us extra time at Resaca de la Palma State Park, one of the World Birding Center?s parks about 4 miles outside of Brownsville.  We followed the advice of the GPS and took a rutted dirt road past the new high school, only to find that it dead-ended a mile and many bumps later at the rear boundary of the state park, and there was a padlock on the gate.  We turned around and asked an electrician who was leaving the high school (not open yet), and he told us to go one street down to Carmen and turn.  We did, and we bumped past weedy farms for a couple of miles and finally arrived at paved road, and an oasis.  If we had not relied on the GPS and had instead come in via FM 1732 from US 83, it would have been gorgeous black pavement all the way.
You had to take a tram to get inside the park, and it was a 45-minute wait for the little tram.  While waiting in the Visitors? Center, we decided to go on the 0.2 mile trail outside the VC. They have drained all the water and there were no bird feeders; they say they are trying to make it as nature has had it in past years.  No food in the birdfeeders, no water for birds to drink, therefore, no birds---but, LOTS of mosquitoes and other biting insects, who found me to be quite delicious.  We went back to the visitor center, and they said at this time of day (3:30), the birds would be in the bush.  We decided to forego the tram trip and came back home.
Today was awful & I am really itching from the bites; therefore, tomorrow should be wonderful!
Temperature:  High of 81?, with rain and wind in the early morning

Betty Brewer said:
  Terry said to  remind you that you are retired.  Consider  driving fewer  miles in a day.  If you get in at 2pm  you will have several hours of  daylight to find your space. 

I did get a chuckle  out of your descriptive story.

Betty, we drove hard to start with because we left about 3 weeks late, and we wanted to see everything.  We had to skip western Texas, and I wanted to get here before the birds migrated.  At the rate we were going, we were going to get here in time for the FALL migration.  We don't have any more long days planned.  I like to set down early and hate to drive after dark.

I told my story because I'm sure most RVForumers could relate, and I thought it might trigger their own memories of experiences they have had (and maybe just a little bit because I was mad and wanted to vent).  After 3 days here, I wrote a note to the "Contact Us" on the park's website.  I wanted to commend the security guard who stayed with us throughout the whole ordeal and helped us back into the space in the dark.  The manager of the 1024 space RV park stopped by and apologized and gave us $10 at the coffee shop.  The breakfasts were between $4-$5, so it paid for most of our breakfast yesterday, which was pretty good.  Despite the high price ($260/wk.) and snafu, I would come back here again.  Yesterday, crossing the little bridge that leads to the park, I saw one or two dolphins. 

Linda

Linda

elkhartjim said:
Linda,

On your return trip, consider a stop at Pedernales Falls state park.  Its about 8 miles east of Johnson City (  http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_014.phtml ) .  The reason I suggest this is the birding is fantastic there.  They have just built a new bird blind and the viewing of the birds will be extremely close. 
  We have a birding trip planned to Fennessey Ranch in Rockport in April.

Hi, Jim!

Glad to meet you!  When we come  to Austin later in the trip, we will see how our time is working out.  If not, it will go on my list of places to go to next time.  We will definitely come back to Texas for another trip.

We will also be in Rockport in April.  We haven't put dates on our itinerary, but it goes--(1) here (2) Corpus Christi (3) Port Aransas (4) Rockport.  I will look up Fennessey Ranch and learn more; thanks for the tip.

Linda

mariekie4 said:
Don't you just love Texas? Big Bend is a must-see as well, as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy your trip, you seem to be a keen bird watcher.

Mariekie

I hate a love (most of the time)/hate relationship with Texas.  We will be back.  South Padre Island is in my top 5 places I've ever visited (including New Zealand and Europe).

I really am enjoying the bird watching, but I can't claim the title of bird watcher.  I am the rankest of amateurs with a couple of books.  That's why I am hoping someone will recognize my unnamed critters.  When the birds don't match their pictures in the book, I am lost.  But, we have met so many birders, and they have been especially helpful--the Canadians most of all.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Linda

ArdraF said:
Dean must have the patience of Job....

ArdraF

Dean can be stubborn (sometimes good, sometimes not).  Sometimes it's a matter of "I AM going to get your picture!"  It almost becomes a game that he will win.

We saw another pretty blue coach the other day, but it wasn't as pretty as yours. We were reminded of you.  Hope to see you at Hop-Skip-Jump.

Linda

We're signed up and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

ArdraF

Linda,

If you plan to stay in the  Port Aransas area, we can recommend Mustang Island State Park. It has 26 sites with water and electric (50 amp). Coming from the Brownsville area, you can access it via the JFK Causeway to TX 361. This park is located on the Gulf and we love it.

Mariekie

mariekie4 said:
If you plan to stay in the  Port Aransas area, we can recommend Mustang Island State Park. It has 26 sites with water and electric (50 amp). Coming from the Brownsville area, you can access it via the JFK Causeway to TX 361. This park is located on the Gulf and we love it.

Mariekie

I will call right away and try to book it.  Thanks for the tip!

Linda

Linda, you can make reservations for Texas state parks on reserveamerica.com - you don't need to call, just jump on the computer !!

Wendy

DAY 14?March 26?Port Isabel
Today as we crossed the small bridge that leads from the RV park, I saw a dolphin jump out of the water twice!  I couldn?t believe my eyes!  What a great way to start a good day!  Later, the locals told me this happens all the time, but I still was thrilled.
We went to the Gladys Porter Zoo in  Brownsville.  It is rated a gem by AAA, and it has made the top 10 zoos in the U.S.  It had about 60 exhibits of endangered and unusual animals.  We have been to lots of zoos, and this one had a lot of animals I?m sure I?ve never seen before.
It was very sunny when we arrived a little before noon, and it was siesta time.  The walkways were shaded by great trees.  Often the labels were non-existent or general.  They would give you information about birds in general, but not name the specific bird you were looking at.  If anyone knows any of the unknowns, would you please let me know?
One unusual animal family we saw was a mandrill mother, father, two teens, and a baby.  I wish we could have been able to take a picture through the glass. They had beautiful faces with bright red nose and mouth, and black stripes on his white cheeks.  Their rumps were baby blue, light pink, and hot pink.
Many of the animals were sleeping.  The spectacled bear (picture 1) was especially relaxed.
The wattled crane (picture 2) posed for his picture.
We thought the bontebok (picture 3) was especially beautiful and is rarely seen in zoos.  Their numbers dropped to slightly more than a dozen when 2 South African Dutch families gave them sanctuary on their farms.  They?re making a slow comeback..
The Dama Gazelle (picture 4) is a vanishing species.
We?ve seen the Bongo Antelope (picture 5) before, but they were awake.
In picture 6, is this guy with red pouches protruding from his cheeks some kind of a guinea?  He isn?t in my bird book for Texas.
This unknown duck (picture 7) was beautiful when the sunlight hit his feathers and turned them from what I thought was black to a shiny forest green.  Does anyone know what kind he is ?
This unknown black large bird (picture 8) had such a weird beak and scale-shaped feathers.
The Kudu (picture 9) is one I think we?ve seen before, but he was so handsome.
The Arabian Oryx (picture 10) is a vanishing species.
This monkey (picture 11) posed for us and enjoyed listening to me talk at him.
Can anyone identify this black-and-white duck (picture 12).
This double-wattled cassowary (picture 13) had a hurt foot, but when I asked him to come pose for a picture, he came from the rear of the enclosure to see us.  He had shade back there, and he came out into the sun.  I really liked him.
This tree kangaroo (picture 14) hopped from limb to limb.  He can jump 30 feet, and he can drop 60 feet for the ground without hurting himself.
Who is this unknown duck (picture 15)?
This wild bird (picture 16) flew in as we were leaving, and he had such bright colors!  At one point he perched on the side of a tree, and I think he might be a  Gila woodpecker.
There were lots of wild birds at the zoo.  The great egrets were making a deep call and gathering twigs.  We saw lots of whistling ducks, long-tailed grackles,  and laughing gulls.
One of the cool things about this zoo is the close proximity to the animals.  I could have reached out and touched a flamingo.  I was eyeball-to-eyeball with a one-armed orangutan mother.  I must have passed inspection because she let her baby come over to the window and climb up to also look me over.  They had a wonderful free-flight exhibit where military macaws and blue and yellow macaws flew from branch to branch or across the lengthy cage.  The colors you see when they fly are five times more spectacular than the colors you see when they are at rest, which are impressive.
Both of us were concerned about the small enclosures and lack of stimulating toys and activities that we?ve seen in other zoos.  Overall, however, we would definitely recommend this zoo.  Admission was about $20.
Temperature: 80?

Attachments

• IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 11
Day 14 page 2,

More photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 6
Day 14 page 3,

More photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2750.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 12
Wendy said:
Linda, you can make reservations for Texas state parks on reserveamerica.com - you don't need to call, just jump on the computer !!

Wendy

WENDY, YOU ARE AN ANGEL!  I never check back on the Forum after I post, but tonight I did.
I feel like such a "newbie" still.  This website will go into my files for sure.  I am on my way to the site.

Linda

Even if you don't make a reservation at reserveamerica.com, it comes in handy to see size of sites, maps of campgrounds, etc. And, yes, I am an angel  ;D

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom