Thanks to my next door camper this morning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
denmarc said:
I'm curious. I noticed the OP posted just shy of 10:00 AM. No mention of what time the compressor shook him out of his slumber.
What is the general consensus when morning noise is allowed? What is the norm for campgrounds?
I generally abide by the 9:00AM rule when it comes to horsing around outside doing whatever. When I was doing the CG thing, that seemed to work well when no CG notice was given. Most campers were mulling around going to the showers, eating breakfast outside on a beautiful morning, etc.

Have things changed?

The time you see on a post is relative to the time zone your computer is in. So you are probably in Central Time zone, if you see the time stamp for that post as 9:54. If the OP was in Pacific TZ when he posted that, it would have been 7:54. Assuming he did not just jump right up and post that message, it was likely no later than 7:00 AM local time when his neighbor created the ruckus.

denmarc said:
What is the typical time of most CG's "quiet time" done?
We mostly see 11-7 which to me is too late and too early. The cg we are in now is 10-7. I would like 10-8. We were in one place in OBX that was 11-8, but the trash truck emptied the dumpsters at 6am.

I ordered a little hotdog compressor to haul around to air up tires.  Turns out it's only one of these noise maker types, but attached to a small tank.

It take a really long time just to fill up the tank, and it is loud. I wish now that I'd returned it right away, but I figured it's only for emergencies and good enough.  I really didn't want anything bigger or heavier.

So I had to use it once at a CG.  It was afternoon and not even morning time.... but still I hauled the thing inside the RV, closed up all the doors and windows, and let it air up in there..... passed a hose out a slightly cracked window to do my work.  Noisy little sucker.....

I have a SuperFlo air compressor that I use for airing up my tires on my truck when I'm done 4x4ing. Noisily little thing. Takes about  25 minutes to do all 4 tires. When I air up my tires. I try to do it around dinner time.

Attachments

• DSCN0620.JPG
    DSCN0620.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 32
I never know what to think about threads like these.  Sure, there are the rare instances where somebody is intentionally being a douche nozzle when it comes to noise - but in my experience those folks seem to be relatively few and far between.  However, I can't help but feel that the most of the noise complaints I hear are likely a whole lot tougher to pass judgement on.

All of us motor home owners (especially those of us driving DP's!) make noise as we come and go from the RV parks we stay at.  My owner's manual say that the motor should be running when operating the slides and hydraulic levelers.  That means my coach engine is running until I'm parked, the slides are extended and the coach is leveled.  I try to get that stuff done as quickly as possible - but I'm sure that I've incurred the wrath of a neighbor or two along the way who felt it rude that my coach noise was disrupting their dinner / nap.  Same thing applies to leaving ... we try to be considerate - but on occasion, an early departure simply can't be avoided (for us that's rarely before 7 am).  Again, I'm sure our neighbors weren't happy about it. 

We try to be as considerate as practical ... but consideration notwithstanding - we're going to make noise as we come and go.  I'm not sure we can discern between what's truly excessive noise on the part of the noisemaker vs unrealistic expectations on the part of those around them when threads like these come up. 

I agree with you Spacenorman.  I arrived late last Friday night.  Normally I would three point our trailer and disconnect in the a.m. but I was sticking out into the lane.  I had to disconnect which involves the up and down action of my electric jack.  I tried to be as fast as possible but my wife gets really anxious about the noise.

On the other hand, there are early birds at times who are nearly yelling, playing music and slamming doors at 6 and 7 in the morning.  I'm an exceptionally sound sleeper but when I'm awake it amazes me nonetheless.

Realistically if someone is making some noise and it disturbs you and it isn't during "Quiet" time. GET OVER IT. You are not at the library. ;D
Bill

I believe the common quiet hours in many campgrounds are approximately 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.  Night owls and early birds should be considerate but that I'm sure is asking too much.

I'm willing to bet the original poster was tired and frustrated when the post was made.  I think some of the responses do not take that into account.  We've all been tired and had our frustrations come out in one way or another.

I thought OP wrote the post to be funny. That's how I interpreted it, and I literally laughed when I read it. Maybe that's just my dark sense of humor. If he really is angry though, I would suggest sleeping with a fan on. Works for me. I don't hear anything going on outside my TT until I turn it off.

spacenorman said:
I never know what to think about threads like these.  Sure, there are the rare instances where somebody is intentionally being a douche nozzle when it comes to noise - but in my experience those folks seem to be relatively few and far between.  However, I can't help but feel that the most of the noise complaints I hear are likely a whole lot tougher to pass judgement on.

Point well taken. I would dare say a lot of us have been in situations where some may call "excessive noise" inside of the posted quiet time is unavoidable. Most seasoned campers understand what is necessary under certain conditions. Even DPs. But then there are those campers who feel that their vacation takes precedence over all. No consideration for anyone else. Or maybe the rules of the CG. And they could have the fanciest DP in the park!
In my experience, if my neighbor just took a few minutes to apologize for the noise they made when they pulled in and set up during quiet time, good enough for me. I get it. I still have the t-shirt. Has happened many times in the past.
Then I would offer him/her a cup of coffee.

Common courtesy, my friends. It's all about common courtesy.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when my wife and I were boondocking in a National Forest campground and my wife was cooking. It was around one in the afternoon and she asked me to turn on the generator so she could use the microwave. The nearest campers, two women, were about 50 feet away. As soon as I started the generator, they came over and told me to shut if off. When I asked why, they told me I should know better to run it in a forest area. that it was a "quiet area." I told them my wife was cooking. They demanded that I shut it down. When I said I would not, they told me they would not leave. This went on for about 15 minutes. They were right in my campsite. I told them I was calling the forest ranger, but they would not leave. I could not get a signal, so I was not able to call.  I told them I would not shut off the generator until my wife finished cooking. I had a beer in my hand and my wife was afraid they would accuse me of being drunk. They finally left, but were mad as hell. Sure, I could have turned off my generator, but it was in the middle of the afternoon and I felt they were out of line. I still remember this incident every time I crank up my generator.  I guess these women were just not very noise tolerant.

It takes all kinds of people to make a world. Sorry that incident still haunts you. There are regulations concerning running internal combustion engines on public land pertaining to spark arrestors. Maybe that is where the misunderstanding was.

Another reason why I camp on my own land out in the woods. If I irritate a raccoon because my stereo is too loud, I tell that raccoon to just relax and get some ear muffs! Or I will start sending him my property tax bill!  ;)

Sometimes the generator complaint is valid. Case in point is me. When I was a brand new RV'er I thought I was really being smart when I decided to buy a generator for the back of my brand new TT.  We had boondocked a few times, and really needed one occasionally.  So I found a sale on one at my big box discount store.  A 4000kw model for a great price.

Being a newbie I had no clue that there were differences in generators and how they were built.  I threw it in the truck and proudly headed out that next weekend.  We boondocked Friday and on Saturday morning I fired it up.  I was horrified!  It worked alright, but that dude sounded like a 747 taking off!  I had the whole campground staring at me in disbelief. 

I took it home and tried a host of different things to quiet it down, all to no avail. So after about a month I took it to a repair shop (under warranty) just to see if it was broken in some fashion.  I dropped it off, and drove off. The manager of the shop called me the next day to say that one of his guys put it in the back of his store to work on it, but left for lunch without closing the gate, which was on an alley.  Someone stole it! 

The stroke of luck was that he didn't want to make a police report or his insurance would go up. I gratefully decided to let him give me a new Honda 2000 in compensation!  Talk about a cloud with a silver lining!

We used to camp regularly in a remote area of a state park that allowed generators; We were far away from the nearest campers, and it usually didn't bother anyone for the short time we ran it.

One evening, a park ranger knocked our door and asked if we were having generator problems. I said "yes, and the darned thing was backfiring before I shut it down". The ranger said "Phew! We had reports of someone shooting in this area".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom