That ONE place you were wow'd by.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arch Hoagland said:
Tom...did you do Whitney?
Yes I did. The journeyman I was working for as an apprentice in 1974 invited me to hike Whitney with him. I had never done anything like that before and I was totally unprepared. I had a headache most of summit day. It was an incredible experience but I didn't even have a camera with me. As I was sitting on the top enjoying the view with about a dozen other people a few Europeans suddenly appeared before us. The had climbed up with ropes instead of hiking the trail. I was extremely impressed.

A couple backpacking friends and I had a trip planned to hike it but it got cancelled and never rescheduled. Sometimes I wish I had my life to do over on a few things.

We did do Half Dome and El Capitan, not climbing the front but backpacked in on the backside.  I agree with you...Yosemite is pretty neat.

Eight trips on the Colorado River through Grand Canyon and I can't wait for next year to do it again! While the Canyon is beautiful from the rim, that view can't hold a candle to what it is like to be on the river for 23 days. Second place is North Rim GC. Better views, way less people and I can park the trailer just a few steps from the edge.
RichH

Yosemite is way up the list, as a young airman stationed at Travis went up backside of Half Dome and ate lunch with legs hanging over the edge...talk about sitting on the top of the world. A place I stumbled on by accident and was totally taken by Chiricahua National Monument. We drove in a few years back and my son complained about no cell service..my reply...perfect we're camping here. He hated me, until we went to the rock formations. Then I was a HERO

aguablanco said:
While the Canyon is beautiful from the rim, that view can't hold a candle to what it is like to be on the river for 23 days.
Every time anyone asked me what to do at the canyon I always told them to get off the rim. It is very pretty on the rim but all you have to do is decent 100 yards on any inter rim trail and you enter into a whole new world. One the rim you are basically looking at a postcard of a beautiful rim ten miles away. When you descend into the canyon it is suddenly above you, below you, to your left, to your right and basically you are enveloped 360 degrees with one of the seven wonders of the world.

aguablanco said:
Eight trips on the Colorado River through Grand Canyon and I can't wait for next year to do it again! While the Canyon is beautiful from the rim, that view can't hold a candle to what it is like to be on the river for 23 days. Second place is North Rim GC. Better views, way less people and I can park the trailer just a few steps from the edge.
RichH

We hosted at DeMotte campground, outside the North Rim, near the Kaibab Lodge for 2 years.  Drove our Jeep to most every view point from Buck Farm to Jumpup. Wanted to do Toroweap, but just too far from our campground. 
My bro-in-law took his 35' Class A out to Marble View and sat for a couple of weeks.

Yosemite is tops for my list.  Watching the sun set from Glacier Point is magical.  Half Dome changed colors about every 5 minutes as the sun went down. 

Acadia is really nice too, but it gets very crowed!  Thankfully we stayed off shore on a 50 foot sailboat so it let us get away from the masses some. 

DavidM said:
Yosemite is tops for my list.  Watching the sun set from Glacier Point is magical.  Half Dome changed colors about every 5 minutes as the sun went down. 
I agree, sunset from Glacier Point is special. My favorite view of Half Dome is from the Sentinel Bridge. The only problem is you have to get to the bridge about two hours before sunset and set up your tripod. The bridge gets filled with tripods every night. Yes, Half Dome does change color every five minutes.

Attachments

• Half Dome.jpg
    Half Dome.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
SeilerBird here's one I took from Glacier Point.  BTW I was checking out some of your photos.  Extremely nice work! 

Attachments

• DSC_0364_edited-2.jpg
    DSC_0364_edited-2.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for your kind words. Your photo is stunning. Did you drive up there or hike up the four mile trail? I hiked it and the hike is one of the best ever.

Attachments

• Tom 2003-20 (1).jpg
    Tom 2003-20 (1).jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 19
We drove up.  Did the hike down to Merced Grove earlier in the day to see the Giant Sequoias and it was a bit harder that we expected.  First day in the park after a week at Monterey Bay.  We should have take a bit more time to get used to the elevation!   

Disclaimer: all those western U.S. places sound & look amazing! I haven't seen any of them as an adult (yet), and would really like to take an at-least 2 week RV trip out there sometime in the next few years.

I was totally wowed by Niagara Falls. Not just the falls themselves from the top, but specifically Cave Of the Winds downward excursion on the U.S. side. It's like Tom described with the canyons, there is so much more to see/feel/hear/experience when getting down IN the feature. With COOW you descend down through a couple caves and come out on a series of catwalks mounted just below a section of Angel Falls. You can get pretty darn close (if desired) to standing right below a stream of the falls bouncing off rocks. It was a drenching-but-amazing experience! My wife and I did that side trip when we drove up to NY to buy our first RV, so it was an exciting venture for many reasons.

scottydl said:
Disclaimer: all those western U.S. places sound & look amazing! I haven't seen any of them as an adult (yet), and would really like to take an at-least 2 week RV trip out there sometime in the next few years.

I was totally wowed by Niagara Falls. Not just the falls themselves from the top, but specifically Cave Of the Winds downward excursion on the U.S. side. It's like Tom described with the canyons, there is so much more to see/feel/hear/experience when getting down IN the feature. With COOW you descend down through a couple caves and come out on a series of catwalks mounted just below a section of Angel Falls. You can get pretty darn close (if desired) to standing right below a stream of the falls bouncing off rocks. It was a drenching-but-amazing experience! My wife and I did that side trip when we drove up to NY to buy our first RV, so it was an exciting venture for many reasons.
Scott is correct. COOW was the highlight of my visit to Niagara. If I only knew then what was living in Rochester....

Ahh, if you were only sitting where I am you would probably be within 20 miles of her.
Of course then you would be at work where I am. But the sparkys could use help here so you could earn some gas money.

Robert K said:
Ahh, if you were only sitting where I am you would probably be within 20 miles of her.
Of course then you would be at work where I am. But the sparkys could use help here so you could earn some gas money.
Your company does not have enough money to afford my services. It is not that I am expensive, but I don't even do the electrical work on my own RV anymore.

SeilerBird said:
Scott is correct. COOW was the highlight of my visit to Niagara. If I only knew then what was living in Rochester....
Lol, we go to Niagara Falls relatively often. I couldn't even count how many times I've been. The American side gets a bad rap, it isn't as commercially built as the Canadian side, but it's come a long way and I actually prefer it.
Edited to add- Niagara Falls is the topic of next Monday's blog post if anyone is interested in a deeper review.

Back
Top Bottom