The Day the Music Died: Where did all of the music go! ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forum staffer Jim Dick used to be an Irish Piper. Maybe we could get him to come out of retirement.

Want to totally blow your day to smithereens?  Take a look at some of the free videos these guys have.  :  http://www.guitarcontrol.com/
They'll also take your money if you insist.  ;)

Here are a couple of photos of Jim playing his bagpipes:

1. Serenading our wives while we were boondocking at Anza Borego.

2.  Entertaining attendees during an RV Forum rally in Moab.

Now we just need someone to volunteer to play the sitar.

Attachments

• Bagpipes.jpg
    Bagpipes.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Bagpipes-Moab.jpg
    Bagpipes-Moab.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 19
Yoko and Roseanne singing harmony!  (on the positive side perhaps the pipes would drown them out?)

And that my friends takes us full circle!  We're back at Roseanne Barr where this whole thing started.  Sort of.

Really, mine seems to be getting better.

Or maybe my ears are getting worse?

Whatever!  It works for me.

I can't assume the recommended playing position; Cross legged with the sound box against the sole of one foot.

Reminds me of the many times I ate in restaurants in Japan, especially the ones where you sit cross-legged on a tatami mat. I had issues with this:

1. I couldn't cross my legs.

2. Without back support, it was a back killer.

3. If my back wasn't hurting, I'd fall over.

They must get lots of westerners with this problem because, when I knew the secret code, they'd bring me a cushion something like a stadium seat with a back. Relief! Hurry up and eat folks, I'm ready for karaoake.

8Muddypaws,

I ran across this thread and checked out Johnsmith's website. I found him on youtube and have been listening to him for awhile now and will be downloading some of his music now.  :)

Im a big folk music lover. My husband has an old high school friend (even after 60 years) who was a local folk singer here in the cities. Through him, I was introduced to the music of Joel Rafael and Bill Staines and try to see them whenever they come this way.

MNBlue skies, you really should check either of them out next time they come. Bill usually comes to town around this time of year. In fact he did a house concert here last weekend. He will be back again in February at Armatage School. That's a really good venue. Im hoping to go.

Caryl

Great thread.  I feel blessed to have been exposed to such a variety of music in my 72 years on this earth.  From the 40's, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller and many others. Remember Little Brown Jug, One Meat ball.  I learned to dance with my Mother to music by some of the best.  Thru the years many changes. The Beach Boys while a college student in Ca. The Bee Gees, Righteous Brothers,  of coarse Elvis, The stones, now Taylor Swift and some great country singers.  I like a variety of music, some more than others. On my bucket list is a Rolling Stones concert.  So, the music hasn't died. Much of todays music is still based on blues and jazz from days long gone.  I just have to listen to a new song a few times to understand the lyrics.

I have been watching music video on Vimeo, a free MTV style streaming service. I am massively impressed with the quality of the music I hear on many of these videos. Katy Perry is amazing, especially Dark Horse. Shakira is also amazing with her La La La video. Tons of great stuff on there. Too bad for the haters, you don't know what you are missing.

Katy Perry is just too cute!  You gotta find the one she did with the muppets!

I've seen Bill Stains at several house concerts.  Hard to keep track, there have been so many!

What, pop artists don't count.  Performers like George Michael, Freddy Mercury, Donny Hathaway and Stevie Wonder didn't create music?  And groups like ABBA didn't write musicals?  Well maybe not the group.  But two of the singers, Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus teamed with Tim Rice to write Chess.  These are not plagiarizing lip syncing Milli Vanilli performers.  They write, they play and they sing.  There's some pretty awesome music that's been produced in the years since Rodgers and Hammerstein.  But as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, music is in the ear of the beholder.  If you want an example of outstanding music, check out the musical CHESS.  And listen to the words of Bohemian Rhapsody.  May not appeal to your tastes, but it's an amazing piece of work.  And don't get me wrong.  I love the old stuff.  But music hasn't died. 

Too bad for the haters, you don't know what you are missing.

Actually, we do. Distorted instruments, scratchy, yelling voices, profane lyrics (or unintelligible), and attempts to rattle anything nearby with excessive bass. Sure, there's a little bit of good stuff in there, but not much that I can stand, in the pop field. Folk, classical, opera (mostly), much of jazz, show tunes (mostly), crooner stuff (Sinatra, Crosby, etc.), country (except some of the more recent stuff that emulates rock), bluegrass, easy listening, and a lot more, are great -- even a lot of (not all) early rock, especially rock & roll. But Little Richard is an example of stuff that's hard to take.

But almost anything that is THUD, THUD, THUD on the bass, at such a high level it rattles your bones, instruments that sound as if there's a malfunction, RAP and a lot of other "modern" stuff out there.

But it's interesting that a lot of the problem I have listening to that stuff is the specific performances, since the same material by more palatable performers is often (not always) good music.

So yes, I know exactly what I'm missing, and missing it is intentional.

Our son is studying at the Curtis Institute of Music. This is one of the premier music conservatories in the world with only 160 students. Our son aspires to play trumpet in an orchestra. So whereas orchestra music is his favorite, he listens to and appreciates all music. In turn, he has opened our minds to the different music types too. We still prefer the rock of the 60s and 70s, but now will listen to jazz and orchestral.  He loves opera too, but we find it difficult to listen to for any length of time. So yes, music enjoyment is in the ear of the listener. But regardless of whether we like the sound or not, we always appreciate the effort and talent it takes to make music. This is especially true of the two of us since neither of us plays any instruments. We even have a professional keyboard in our living room. Since our son moved out, no one here to play it. The only time it gets touched is when it gets dusted! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom