The debate MH vs TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing to consider is age vs mileage.  When I first bought my RV, a friend suggested I look more at low mileage and less at age.  His reasoning was the effect of the vibrations and bouncing on the unit, appliances, screws/bolts and other things that could suffer.  I am sure others will disagree, but I would look closely at how many and what type of miles are on the coach. 

Not that anyone would care, but here is my two cents worth.  First, I wouldn't tow anything as heavy as a TT with any of the "Cars" of today.  It was different a while back when you could buy SUVs on truck running gear, but now there are very few left that have a full frame under them- thats just my opinion but just saying...  That means you SHOULD pull with a truck.  I don't think a HD pickup is going to get you much better then the RV.

Second- I hate to back in trailers.  I have been doing it for 40 years, and I still hate it.  I think the fifth wheel is a bit better, but I still hate it.

For me the answer is a class A.  I have had a couple of class C.  Both of them needed engines before they were at 100,000 miles. and when we went out west, I was SURE we wouldn't make it to the top of some of those passes.  I fact one time I pulled into a turn out and unhooked the Grand Cherokee and had my wife drive that behind me with the flashers on.  How these were older class C with dodge running gear and before fuel injection (so they leaned way out as you went higher)

You must drive a couple of Class As.  They are much easer to drive then my old class Cs  No doubt newer class Cs drive a lot better then what I had, but the Class A I have driven are dreams to drive.

And of course once we talk you into a class A, then we have to talk about what type of fuel...

Now a little bit of a disclaimer here.  Like I said the Class Cs where like '70 tech.  One of the class As I drove (including on the eway) was a Newmar.  So I comparing a budget old tech C to a top of the line A.  Still I only have so many years left- I'm going to damn well enjoy what I'm driving.  Just an FYI, I think I'll be using a Focus as my toed.

Usand2boys said:
Class C means another motor to maintain

True, but if you get a TT and a truck to pull it, that truck will have another motor to maintain, so it's pretty much the same either way. Same thinking goes for the "TT is a smaller investment"... it would be, except you will be buying a TT AND a truck, so it will probably end up the same price or higher than a Class C.

Tin man said:
It was explained to me many years ago, that with a trailer the vacation starts at your destination, and with a motor home it starts leaving your driveway.

That's just elegant!  My brother-in-law has a MH and we have a TT and he'll be tickled when I share that with him.  I'm sure he'll agree.

Buying a truck/suv you will have a 90-100 pct use cycle.  A MH less then 30 pct use cycle, with the need for a toad.
Should your used MH break down all costs will be much higher, it's a medium duty truck.  A new suv will have the factory warranty and available extended warranty. 

I'm a  woman traveling around with my daughter.  I had a class C at first, it was just ok, I didn't feel like I could see.  Then I got a much newer 2006 calss A, gas engine, 29 ft, drove it about 20k.  The wind did me in on it.  Hubby said I will get one the wind won't blow around, so we got an old 1992 American Eagle, diesel pusher.  I can tell you its the easiest to drive and more stable then any of them.  It's only 38 ft and no slides but I pull a tow vehicle.  It sounds like it would be the most difficult but it sure isn't and I love driving it.  I had myself convinced that I could not pull a tow vehicle but my husband made me try. He kept telling me its not hard and if you have problems with the motorhome then you won't be stranded.  I found out pretty quickly he was right and never looked back.

My gas, class A was a wide body, I know that extra 6 inches shouldn't make a difference and doesn't on interstates but I did get on some narrow rural roads that sure felt skinny, but again just me.

However, I look at newer ones and they are so long, I just don't want to go longer, hubby says oh they are easy to drive too, but so many campgrounds are hard to get around in that my length is really good for me.

Even with the upgrades and repairs we have done on this one, so far we have way less money then in a new one.  But I would not advise getting one this old if you cannot do some maintenance yourself or don't mind opening the checkbook.  This trip has cost me for things in the coach.  I likely will keep this one till we hang it up or until something serious happens to the tranny or engine, then we may have to rethink it.

And if you buy one, please spend the $300 or so to get an inspector to go over it.  They can tell you if its got major issues and what issues there are.  I think it is rare to find one that needs no work, or that is my opinion.  Whatever you get enjoy it.

To expand on the statement ref when the vacation starts.  The dealer who was a very reputable deler who sold trailers and class c.

I asked him the difference of pulling a trailer which we owned 24 ft Shasta wings and all.

And driving a class c..

He said when you leave itch the trailer you were always watching what was coming up on you, sway control, the idea of pulling a large trailer behind your car.

With a class c you are inside the MH you can eat drink and usevthe bathroom (family) while you drive.

We owned them all from a Starcraft pop up to our present class a.

As I said we enjoyed them all. 

We traveled in almost every state.

So ask your friend what he thinks what the advantages of his RV and you can tell him your advantage.

After all is said and done, the best advantages is the quality time we spend with family and friends.

Hope to meet you on the road.

Jim & Kathy

There is a lot of good points being made for a MH keep a few extra thing in mind 1- where are you going to store eather one and also how much insurance is going to be.  Here in Michigan we only have to plate our trailer once and we can put full coverage on it thru our homeowners  yes we have a truck and a small car for which my wife uses as a daily driver.

Hi everyone! You all make excellent points and after further investigation and searching for some different trailers and vehicles that meet my vehicle requirements, we decided to go with a new desiel grand cherokee and will be buying a TT eventually. Thank you all for your advice and discussion it really helped us out. Now the adventure begins...

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foogie
Back
Top Bottom